Anyone have USS Constitution builds from Marine Model Company #1093 kit

tbchappe

Hi everyone, 

New member wanting to cut my teeth, here. I'm looking to see if anyone here has built the USS Constitution Model kit #1093 from Marine Model Co? I'd like to see some pictures of the results of your build for guidance. I can't find another example anywhere on the internet. I got this kit for really cheap because someone started it and never finished. And by started, i mean they did a single thin and shoddy layer of hull paint, and glued on the rudder. It was easy to reverse.

I've also picked up the "Dapper Tom" Model Shipways kit for cheap, to do first as a practice before fully tackling the Constitution. There's some great documentation on this website for that build, for which I'm grateful. From what I can tell and reading through the checklists and organizing, my kits are complete (they're pretty old kits that were never built). I'm pretty sure that a lot of the trimmings for the Constitution kit are made of lovely poisonous lead.

Blaine

Welcome aboard, Blaine. Marine Models has been out of business for quite some time, so it's little wonder that they don't turn up on the forum very often. In fact, we have only six build logs that have been tagged with that company name -- you can see them here. Your Dapper Tom model may be nearly as old if it is one of the old 'yellow box' kits.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

2 hours ago, tbchappe said:

Hi everyone, 

New member wanting to cut my teeth, here. I'm looking to see if anyone here has built the USS Constitution Model kit #1093 from Marine Model Co? I'd like to see some pictures of the results of your build for guidance. I can't find another example anywhere on the internet. I got this kit for really cheap because someone started it and never finished. And by started, i mean they did a single thin and shoddy layer of hull paint, and glued on the rudder. It was easy to reverse.

I've also picked up the "Dapper Tom" Model Shipways kit for cheap, to do first as a practice before fully tackling the Constitution. There's some great documentation on this website for that build, for which I'm grateful. From what I can tell and reading through the checklists and organizing, my kits are complete (they're pretty old kits that were never built). I'm pretty sure that a lot of the trimmings for the Constitution kit are made of lovely poisonous lead.

Blaine

Blaine, you must have been Ebay shopping, that is about the only place I have seen either of these kits being offered. There is some good news and some bad news here, the good news is you got some cheap kits. The bad news is there are much better representations of those ships in kits these days. The Model Shipways Dapper Top is a step above the Marine Model kit, but barely. I have built a few Marine Model kits in the past mainly because I got them cheap and yes, they built into decent models with a lot of work, but once I finished them, I regretted spending the amount of time on them because eventhough they sold, I didn't get the return that I could have had I started with a newer kit. But at that time I was building and selling, trading and donating most of my builds.    

Blaine, Welcome to MSW.  I think the solid hull and shaped spars, (if I recall correctly) of the Marine Models kit will serve as a great starting point for building your Connie.  I would not use the old metal fittings though except to use as a pattern.  If you see your Connie project through to the end you will gain a ton of experience in research and fabricating parts.  In my experience, the members of this MSW forum share and help each other which is one of the reasons this forum is so great.  I wish you success in your Connie build and make sure you start a build log when you are ready.  Welcome Aboard!

Wawona59

John

Wawona 59

John

Next Project::  New Bedford Whaleboat - Model Shipways

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV  

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner