Polaris by Bill Saindon - OcCre - 1:50 - first build

This is my first build of a model ship. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of the start of my build   I have been taking photos from glueing the deck forward. Have to say I’ve really enjoyed every minute that I spend on my model. 
My false keel was also bent seems to be a common problem. I was able to straighten it with a light coating of water and heavy plates on top. I let it dry for several days. Seems to work. 

I’m really trying to follow the instructions for my own sake but I did make some minor changes to the decking. Instead of using the long strips in the instructions I cut the planks to 6cm. Very pleased with the results.  At this time I’ve also finished the first planking and installed the bulwarks    Probably shouldn’t have but I jumped ahead and built the cabin and hatch    I’ll post more pictures as I finish stages  Thanks for the warm welcome  IMG_0076.thumb.jpeg.d0b8bbd17eddf15a12c2af24d0d747f4.jpegIMG_0063.thumb.jpeg.ab24b433879fb4b532f11f847424a703.jpeg

Your first layer of planking on the hull looks fantastic.   I am very impressed for your first ship. 

Cutting the deck planks is a good decision.  Looks really good.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

Finally took a few pictures of my progress. The second layer of planking is applied. Top rails are finished and first coat of polyurethane is applied.  Really thought the second layer of planking would be easier but I was wrong. Working with the contact cement was definitely a challenge. However I am pleased with the results.  Made some modifications to the transom and I also posted a picture of the cabin and hatch that I built. Next up is finishing all the components for the deck and installing the rudder.  I really look forward to getting out to the shop and working on my model. Thanks for looking and please feel free to offer suggestions or criticisms. Thanks for looking at my build log. IMG_0088.thumb.jpeg.20fef304250d2a73b854abf86fbab58d.jpegIMG_0105.thumb.jpeg.20553167f605927e5bb433cb7b8b6935.jpegIMG_0099.thumb.jpeg.7b8fab2b90f211958564d519644f024a.jpegIMG_0104.thumb.jpeg.30339799b40d5e0aebf1127e5f58b947.jpeg

• 1 month later...

This is coming together very well for a first build.

Occre I think recommend it as a good kit to make a nice model for newcomers to the hobby. They certainly follow up well with all their on line help videos etc.

Looking at this I would say that Bill has a natural instinct for building that is very obvious looking at the progress of the Polaris here.

• 4 months later...

I will admit I made a ton of mistakes but I truly enjoyed every frustrating minute of the build. Already started my second build OcCre Esmeralda.  Quite a step up for me. I’ve fortunately corrected and improved on my mistakes from my first build only to make new ones on my second build. That’s how I learn. IMG_0182.thumb.jpeg.d7c3789838391dc4a76b199eecd79026.jpeg

Nice job, it looks great!

Fantastic. I've got this to model to start next, will also be my first wooden ship build. I hope I can do it the same justice that you have. Great work Bill 

Edited by chadwijm6

Cheers,

James.

Current Builds

Airfix Westland Sea King HU.5 1/48

Microaces Scrappee Liaison Radio Controlled

Occre Polaris 1/50

Hong Kong Models 1/32 B25 J Mitchell

Completed 

Airfix Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IXc 1/24

Airfix Avro Lancaster B.III (SPECIAL) 'THE DAMBUSTERS' 1/72 

Airfix Titanic 1/400

Airfix King Tiger 1/35

In the hangar, dockyard or factory 

Airfix Fairey Gannet AS.1/AS.4 1/48, Airfix North American P-51D, Mustang 1/48, Airfix Supermarine Spitfire FR Mk.XIV 1/48, Airfix MGB 1/32, ICM Gloster Gladiator 1/32, 5 Airfix Tanks, Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer S.2 C/D 1/48, Artesania Latina Zuiderzee Botter 1912 1/50, Airfix WWII British Army 30-cwt 4x2 GS Truck 1/35