US Brig Niagara by Usgecko - Model Shipways

The first two lengths of planking attached to the outside of the hull progress!

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Started on the planing for the ceilings - on both inner and outer sides of the hull. I elected to cut them individually so progress has been slow

IMG_0185(1).jpg

I attached the planks directly to the hull at the bow, rather than pre-fabricating them as I have above

IMG_0183(1).jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Edited by Usgecko

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Ceilings now attached to the hull

IMG_0186.jpeg

Also added some internal support for edges on deck planking

IMG_0188.jpeg

IMG_0187.jpeg

Edited by Usgecko

Your Niagara is really coming along nicely.  Your work on the framing is very clean and crisp.  That's something I need to strive for to improve.  Interesting use of cross bracing between the bulkheads. Haven't seen that technique before.  Reminds me of the cross bracing between the floor joists in an old house I used to live in.  You're going to end up with a beautiful model that you can display proudly.  Keep up the good work.

Wawona 59

John

Next Project:  Flying Fish restart 

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified gift); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner, Model Trailways - 1/12 Doctor's Buggy (gift), Guns of History - Napoleon Canon and Limber

1 hour ago, Wawona59 said:

Your Niagara is really coming along nicely.  Your work on the framing is very clean and crisp.  That's something I need to strive for to improve.  Interesting use of cross bracing between the bulkheads. Haven't seen that technique before.  Reminds me of the cross bracing between the floor joists in an old house I used to live in.  You're going to end up with a beautiful model that you can display proudly.  Keep up the good work.

Appreciate the comment. I did the cross bracing like that as it was easier than trying to cut pieces to precisely fit between the bulkheads. Two 45 degree cuts in two pieces of wood allowed me to provide bracing more easily for me