USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71) by Coyote_6 - FINISHED – Italeri – 1/720 - PLASTIC

Greetings all.  In 2015 I spent two months aboard the “Big Stick” in the Persian Gulf.  Naturally I was interested in modeling her, and 1/700 or 1/720 is probably the best scale to fit in my house!  My lovely wife gifted me the Italeri Roosevelt in 1/720 scale for Christmas 2015 and I was ecstatic.  However, the Roosevelt has had many significant upgrades since 2006 (Italeri’s approximate baseline), so I determined some scratch built modifications would be required to bring her up to 2015 trim.  This build started in January of 2016 and ended in November of 2018.  It all started with joining the flight deck to the hull, assembling the kit’s Island, and ordering Trumpeter 1/700 aircraft to upgrade the air wing (F-18C, F-18E, F-18F, C-2A and E-2C aircraft).  I chose to stick with Italeri’s SH-60s.

Regards,

Steve

20160131_213453_Resized.jpg

20160410_191418_Resized.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6
Add white space between images.

The most glaring issues for a 2015 build were the Island changes and the new radar tower when she was refitted/refueled.  I scratch built a new radar tower out of Evergreen sheet and strip stock.  I marked out issues with the island in blue sharpie for rework/modification.  (The radar domes are desiccant balls from shipping packages, chosen for their particular size.) 

20160514_161145_Resized.jpg

I then proceeded to modify the island as necessary with Evergreen stock.

20160823_174627_Resized.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6
Positioned images with relevant text.

Finally rounded out the rework of the island, radar towers, antennas, radars and lights.  Of interest, the largest spheres housing radars and antennas were hand turned out of olive wood by a teammate from work.  I told him the approximate dimensions of the sphere and he made them for me.  The aft sphere is most visible in the attached photo, and you can see it is a little rough.  Also added some photo etched railing around the top of the island as an experiment (first time using photo etch).  With final outfitting came a coat of Tamiya TS-32 Haze Gray.  (It's looking like it's gonna be a full flight deck!)

20170212_175340_Resized.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6
Added paint specs.

Next step was to proceed around the flight deck, adding structure to support various defensive weapons, radars, antennas and the LSO platform.  

20170614_202641_Resized.jpg

20170705_130630_cropped.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

As all of this is going on, an Air Wing starts to be developed.  After playing around with so many shades of gray (so many) it becomes apparent that Tamiya knows what they are doing, at least to my eye.  Tamiya AS-25 Dark Ghost Grey for the top of the tactical aircraft, and AS-26 Light Ghost Grey for the undersides.  E-2 and C-2 grays are Testors Model Master FS 16440 Gloss Gull Gray (Testors 1929).  36 F-18s, 2 of which I converted to EA-18s.  6 SH-60s.  5 E-2Ds. 2 C-2s.  Almost as much work as the entire ship herself.  And so many wings to cut and "fold".

20180903_092911_cropped resized.jpg

20180916_094950_Resized.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

Painting of the ship ensued.  Haze gray all around the hull (Tamiya TS-32) and Tamiya TS-4 German Grey for the flight deck.  All the flight deck lines seen in the attached image were painted using Tamiya acrylics and an airbrush.  I went light on the center line in the landing zone to emulate wear due to landings.  Weapons station at the port bow is a scratch-built RIM-116 Rolling Airframe missile launcher (not included in the Italeri kit), and astern is what I can only describe as a scratch docking cage made using stretched sprue.  (I have seen craft tied up to this in pictures - if anyone knows what more specifically this cage at the waterline astern is called please let me know).

20180509_191246_Resized.jpg

20180408_190121_docking cage.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

After painting, I used Gold Medal Models' USN Supercarrier Decals (Starfighter Decals 700-100 USN Nimitz Class CVN Markings).  Island markings, bow numbers, elevator/flight deck power hatch/jet blast deflector outlines, replenishment markings, Ordnance jettison, efficiency awards, unrep markings and elevator locks.  Sooooo many decals...

20180708_213832_Resized.jpg

20180709_171145_Resized.jpg

Also filled in the island glass using #2 lead pencil and then applied Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear Topcoat over the entire ship, protecting the decals and hopefully giving an appropriate scale sheen to the entire model...

20180721_113247_Resized.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

Airwing progress.   "00" color birds for the various squadrons assigned - handpainted by toothpick.  Note the Jet Blast Deflectors in the up position.  I made two sets (down and up) depending on how the ship is configured (none of the aircraft are fixed to the ship).

20180909_203829_Cropped_Resized.jpg

Also, 4 bladed E-2s converted to 8 blades with the help of a coworker's 3-D printer.  So maybe my favorite part of the build is that one friend made my radars out of wood in the old-school style, and another friend made my 8 bladed props using the latest in fabrication tech.  Pretty cool team effort on that!

20181113_150241_Resized.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

The rescue crane and fire trucks were 3D printed and provided by a friend (Shapeways?) as he had extras.  Remaining deck tractors and forklifts were kit supplied.  After Painting and detailing all that was left to spot 47 aircraft on the flight deck and stage the crane, tractors and forklifts.

20181008_203002_Cropped_Resized.jpg

20181118_120047_Resized.jpg

Almost as an afterthought, I discovered what I think might be a weather station mast on the forward starboard side, scratch built with stretched sprue and a small bit of plastic card stock.

20180715_212825_Cropped_Resized.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

USS Theodore Roosevelt, arriving.

May I present the fully completed USS Theodore Roosevelt, CVN 71 from her 2015 deployment to the Persian Gulf.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

And with Carrier Air Wing 1 (CVW 1) aboard...

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

And some detail shots...

008.jpg

Stern view.

009.jpg

E-2D and F-18E awaiting launch.

010.jpg

011.jpg

C-2A preparing for engine starts.

012.jpg

Crowded island area.

013.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

And finally, with a quarter on the tabletop for size reference.  I think she is a movie star now, as I believe there was a cameo shot of her in the movie Top Gun: Maverick.

014.jpg

Edited by Coyote_6

Great job on her and her air wing.  I really didn't realize how small this model is until that last picture.   Makes it even more incredible.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nicely done!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 1 year later...