HMB Endeavour's Longboat by RichieS - Artesania Latina - 1:50 scale - first build

First build and log for me, slight delay in getting started when AT sent the full HMS Endeavour instead of the Longboat version, but all sorted quickly by AT and am now building. 

Managed to get all the ribs dry fitted, quite a bit of play in the parts, but some lego blocks seem to have worked in making sure everything was square. 

I dry fitted the deck after gluing the ribs to make sure alignment was OK and so far seems OK 

20240105_195131.jpg

20240105_195142.jpg

Deck is now fully fitted and glued into position. Fitted with minimal sanding required. 

First rails fitted. Hadn't lined up starboard rail correctly and it was too high. Luckily spotted it before the glue had cured so managed to fix it without any issues. 

Getting the rails in was a bit tricky and heard some nasty cracking sounds from one of the cut outs for the ribs. Luckily it's where it is being glued and not noticeable. 

20240107_170945.jpg

20240107_171002.jpg

Planking continues. Only one real mishap so far, on my second plank I didn't quite get enough bend into it before gluing. As it was tapered, when holding for the CA glue, I heard a crack and noticed a horrible bulge right on the bow. Luckily it was on the bow and won't be visible from the inside of the ship, so have cutout the offending section and scarfed a new section in its place. Hopefully once sanded, filled, sanded some more and painted it won't be visible on the outside either. 

20240114_155143.jpg

20240114_155205.jpg

Did you spile or prebend the planks via the method in Chuck Passaro's video series on You Tube?  If they are pre-shaped  you don't need to force the planks or any clamps.  Forcing the planks (edge bending) usually causes lifting and is a difficult thing to fix.  The ship's boats in the photos below were planked without the use of clamps.

Allan

AAA.thumb.JPG.bc5d927c6f9c009b8784d6430472172f.JPG

Boats.thumb.JPG.4f7b06d3e5afb6e9d83956450b947602.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, yes I tried prebending all the planks prior to installing and thought I had got them quite close to what was needed, but obviously not. I don't think the thinness of the plank (approx 1.5mm wide at point it snapped) helped, combined with my inexperience. 

My plank bending has certainly improved as I've had more practice and it is starting to get more acceptable, but I think I'll brush up on chuck's bending guide again. 

Thanks for the help. 

1 minute ago, RichieS said:

I don't think the thinness of the plank (approx 1.5mm wide at point it snapped) helped, combined with my inexperience. 

Hi Richie

For a first build it looks like you have taken a lot of pride in your work.   Learning how to get great planking takes practice and yours is really pretty good, especially as it appears you took care to reduce the breadth of the planks as they approach the bow.  The species of wood and thickness of the material will have an effect as well.  For ship's boats planking my go-to is holly.  From W.E. Mays book on ship's boats,  the bottom planking was typically about 1.125" thick on longboats. (0.6mm at 1:48)   I tend to go a tad heavier so I have some material for sanding the planked hull.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Allan, 

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not sure what type of wood Artesania supplied, but is all quite good consistency and 1.5mm x 5mm. 

I deliberately picked this kit as I thought it would give me a good introduction to most elements of ship building (not too much rigging was a bonus) and once I have some experience I'll be able to pick ships that I may be able to make with some degree of competence. 

16 hours ago, RichieS said:

I deliberately picked this kit as I thought it would give me a good introduction to most elements of ship building

To learn really good and useful techniques that will carry over to future builds you may want to consider one or more of the three kit beginner series designed by David Antscherl.  https://modelexpo-online.com/Model-Shipways-Shipwright-3-Kit-Combo-Series_p_5465.html    I wish this kind of quality and expertise were available when I started building.

Allan

Allan, 

Thanks for the tip on possible future project. I looked at that kit the first time around, but sometimes isn't easy getting things imported to Ireland from the US. There are a few UK stores that carry them as well, but Brexit has hit that supply route as well. 

I'll see if I can source from Europe somewhere as it would be a very good kit to build up my experience before tackling into something more complex. 

Richie

Planking completed. Plenty of errors, particularly for the first few planks. Towards the end I started to get the hang of it and got the shaping of the planks a lot better. 

Hull sanded, filled and sanded again. Think it needs a bit more sanding with some higher grit paper to get it smooth enough for paint. 

20240121_130704.jpg

20240121_143052.jpg

20240121_171516.jpg

20240121_173802.jpg

Edited by RichieS

Painting the hull is now complete. Getting the rails attached at a consistent offset was a challenge so ended up cutting some scraps of wood to the correct length and clamped those into position as a guide for the rail. 

My plank bending must be improving as managed to get the rails to fix with CA and no clamps for the first time. 

20240128_180539.jpg

20240128_180608.jpg

Deck planking is well underway now. Main deck complete. Got a new proxxon pen sander during the week and this made chamfering the deck planks a lot easier. 

Have also ordered my next project, the Amati Fife. It will be hard to complete this project knowing that one is waiting in the shipyard :)

20240203_083151.jpg

Just as a helpful hint for the future, with the exception of a drop strake, all strakes seat into the rabbet at the bow.  They are usually tapered and never come to a point.  If there is to be a drop plank it is snubbed on the end rather being pointed. (see below)  Of course, if the hull is painted or coppered, this is not so noticeable.  It is a shame that some, NOT all, kit makers completely fail in this area.

Allan

DropStrake.jpg.5e54a5aacc734428b78905a78723f874.jpg

Some of the mast supports now added. Have checked the mast fitting multiple times and it seems like everything lines up. 

I have noticed that I have a slight twist to the keel near the stern when fitting a few of the trim pieces. Thought I was careful when installing the keel and frames, but must take better care the next time. 

On to some of the deck fittings now before the masts and rigging start in ernest. 

20240210_174830.jpg

20240210_174843.jpg

20240210_174849.jpg

20240210_175001.jpg

Extremely neat work!!!

I realize this was probably supplied with the kit, but how do the oars work on the single tholes rather than between a pair?  On the contemporary sources regarding British ship's boats that I have seen, when tholes were shown they have only been as pairs of tholes and all were made of wood.  I really am curious how these single pins would be used as they really do look nice.

Allan

Not sure about historical accuracy but the system looks like it would work.

Thanks again for sharing.

Allan

I have finally managed to get back to building my Longboat after spending the last week building my hobby zone building slip for the Amati Fifie which is waiting in the shipyard. 

20240217_173556.thumb.jpg.78508018815684aceb0260c78a136c1f.jpg

Now that I'm back to building the Longboat I have managed to complete the rudder assembly. A little bit of paint required to finish it. I have started drilling out the holes for eyelets in preparation for the rigging. The 0.5mm holes went OK, but I haven't tried installing the eyelets yet 😁

20240217_173409.jpg

20240217_173341.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great work for your first wooden kit Richie. It seems AL have revamped this kit which is good - and hopefully the instructions have been greatly enhanced from the old version. A single layer planked open boat is a challenge for any new builder as you can't hide any planking mistakes under a second layer! Well done with you work so far.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 2:58 PM, RichieS said:

I dislike threading needles. Even with magnification it takes me ages, so progress will be slow. 

Another great reason to forgo cloth sails as there is no cloth or sewing technique that is to scale if smaller than about 1:12 .   Silkspan seems to be gaining a bigger following, and with very good reason.   

Edited by allanyed