VsKfz 617 Minenraumer by DerekMc - Meng - 1/35 - "Build as a Kid"

My local IPMS chapter decided to do a "Build like you did as a kid" group build. Basic idea is to pick a kit and build it in a straight shot. Paint is optional.  I thought it would be a good time and checked the stack of kits. I didn't want anything complicated but still with a bit of challenge. I spotted the Meng Minenraumer kit I picked up on sale many years ago. Upon inspection the body part count was low and I didn't have any real plans for it so why not? 

First challenge is that the instructions weren't in the box. Problem solved by a check on the Scalemates site and download of a scan of the instructions. I had a day off with no commitments so Time to Build!   The VsKfz 617 was a one off prototype that looks cool but didn't work well as a minesweeper. The prototype still exists at the Kubinka Tank Museum.

First up was the body top. Putting together the small hooks was a pain and I lost a couple to the carpet monster.  I must say that not worrying about seam lines sped up the pace quite a bit!  

cToMo8ml.jpg

Then came the tracks. They were a pain till I figured out a couple tricks in the assembly. 

QlOUnHul.jpg

The tracks have metal in them to make them heavier. Pretty cool but not really needed.  

Waiting for the glue to dry on the wheels:

Ukk61uel.jpg

As the build continued I decided to keep the major assemblies separate so I can give them a decent paint job in the future.  Who knows when that might happen? 

The assembled vehicle. It's missing a steering chain but once that's attached I'll call it good.

vcO0jSVl.jpg

I did leave two fiddly parts off. Other than that its a straight from the box build.  This certainly was a change of pace compared to my usual builds. A pleasant seven to eight hours or so. Fun!

1 hour ago, DerekMc said:

"Build like you did as a kid"

Oh, dear! 😬  Apart from my pretty sad skills when I was younger, building like a kid would require me to be able to pick up some box-scale Aurora kit from Sprouse-Reitz for a quarter!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

2 hours ago, ccoyle said:

...building like a kid would require me to be able to pick up some box-scale Aurora kit from Sprouse-Reitz for a quarter!

F.W. Woolworths for me... (with a stop at the fountain for an ice cream soda)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I bought my kits at KMart for the most part. Fun times!  The club meeting is tomorrow. I'm interested in what the other members built. I know several built old classic kits.  I didn't because I don't have any.  

I installed the steering chain so its set for tomorrows meeting. 

2ZsBo4Pl.jpg

Edited by DerekMc