F-4J Phantom II VF-154 off the USS Ranger -1/32nd scale - by Egilman

Hi all, still hanging in there... Today I figured that I would slap together one of my easier pieces... Nothing specific about this aircraft except it is a Phantom II....

Here are some pics....

IMG_9755.thumb.JPG.bfa7e7b9ebf8ca7b9ae1b7bb51791b99.JPGIMG_9756.thumb.JPG.dcf146a320e2a866ac257bcf898abfa8.JPGIMG_9757.thumb.JPG.de0a3624a7cdddb03a4e2c31337d1802.JPGIMG_9758.thumb.JPG.4378e4adb948eade9a701b75b2f5dad5.JPGIMG_9759.thumb.JPG.6d5f61eb51328bee91b2d14bf2490a3c.JPGIMG_9760.thumb.JPG.bc1fd5d0ff432f1c2fe4a5bbbeb8b098.JPGIMG_9761.thumb.JPG.afb3ab46cf7d46d1480d3912b111eeb8.JPGIMG_9763.thumb.JPG.88ea65986c2dc03bdab203edf55157fa.JPGIMG_9762.thumb.JPG.3107c906996b69ac7a77d07ac7107694.JPGIMG_9754.thumb.JPG.f8a40359527c8c4db20db953e5c6fee4.JPG

1/32nd scale kinda big....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Nice build, Egilman. Had a buddy build that same scale E model while we sat air defense alert in the Florida panhandle. He was tracing all the little hydraulic and pneumatic lines, along with the wiring harnesses, in the wheel wells. Yeah, Mike had that prototype appearance bug.  🙄

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Excellent work Brother  - cant beat  a  "Toom"   very nice work,  and I spied a 55-250STM  on the bench😉

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

nice job with the weathering and the markings...........superb looking model :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

2 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

I spied a 55-250STM  on the bench

Thanks Brother....

Good eye, I got that when I upgraded my camera to a T7i...... It really makes taking closeups easy...

Edited by Egilman

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

4 hours ago, Canute said:

Nice build, Egilman. Had a buddy build that same scale E model while we sat air defense alert in the Florida panhandle. He was tracing all the little hydraulic and pneumatic lines, along with the wiring harnesses, in the wheel wells. Yeah, Mike had that prototype appearance bug.  🙄

Thanks my friend, Just figured I would take one out and just build it... Nothing fancy, straight outta the box... I've seen a lot of examples of the (what I call) brake line mania especially in the wheel wells doesn't matter that when on the shelf nobody will ever see it but they gotta have them.... 

Quote:

5 minutes ago, Egilman said:

Good eye, I got that when I upgraded my camera to a T7i...... It really makes taking closeups easy...

Nice piece of kit brother  - that lens is one of the really good ones (yep I owned one once when I was canon shooter)

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

1 hour ago, popeye the sailor said:

nice job with the weathering and the markings...........superb looking model :) 

Thank you Dennis, it's really appreciated...

Quote:

i never realised it was that big, thats a very nice Kevin size

you have done a lovely job on this

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

i never realised it was that big, thats a very nice Kevin size

you have done a lovely job on this

Thank you Kevin, It is appreciated...

21 and a half inches, barely fits in my cabinet, gonna have to get a bigger one soon....  (once the A7, F-100, A4, F-104 and F4U are done) {chuckle}

Quote:

@Egilman this is a truly impressive model! Assemblying and finishing look first class!

Congrats,

Dan.

Current build : Mayflower - AL 1:64

Completed non-ship builds : Spitfire MK I - 1:48Arado 196B - 1:32, Sea Fury - 1:48F-15C Eagle - 1:48Hawker Tempest Mk.V - 1:48F104S Starfighter - 1:48

"The most effective way to do it, is to do it" - Amelia Earhart

Thank you Dan, Glad you like it.....

Much appreciated...

Quote:

The F-4E was 64 feet long with a 38 foot wingspan. As I remember, the other versions were 6 feet shorter. The E needed the extra space to stuff a 20mm Gatling gun with 640 round magazine into the nose. That was 10 seconds worth of firing time or 5  2 second bursts. Any long and the gun-barrels melted/twisted. Weapons Officer flashback.😁

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

2 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Just caught up ! Really nice model EG !  

Thank you Jack!

Quote:

Beautiful work on the Phantom, Egilman!   Very nice.  And what an amazing piece of machinery - grace, beauty and raw power in one package. 

Any progress on the Bell helicopters?

Gary 

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

One of the better looking renditions of a Bent Wing Flying Anvil I have seen. It may almost be too big for your shelf but it would be a shame to have it anywhere else. 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Gee whiz Gary. I never heard a non-Phantom Phlyer (I'm presuming 😉) wax poetic over the Rhino, our nickname for Mr McDonnell's creation. I'm gonna blush. (I have about 4,000 hours in the old girl):blush:

Years ago, while checking out in the Phantom, one of my instructors opined on the fact that Mr McDonnell could take a commercial freezer, strap 2 General Electric J-79s to it and make a supersonic, fighter-bomber, interceptor. capable of Mach 2 flight.

Ours (USAF) never got those spiffy paint jobs. More like that old Ford pickup, hauling what needs hauling. I miss the myriad jobs we did; every mission/flight was different. But I especially the guys I flew with.  The folks here on this site approach that camaraderie, but the worst thing would be somebody slicing up themselves and leaving their DNA on a model.. 😊

Ken

Mr. Mac was a character and not at all like today's CEO's.  Treated everyone like family and not like some peon who needed a flogging daily.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, FriedClams said:

Beautiful work on the Phantom, Egilman!   Very nice.  And what an amazing piece of machinery - grace, beauty and raw power in one package. 

Any progress on the Bell helicopters?

Gary 

Thanks Gary, It was an amazing aircraft.... There was a development model that was adding newer turbofan engines to the airframe with water injection which would have made it a Mach 3 aircraft... It was rejected by the Airforce because it got too close to the performance of the SR-71, I think the Israelis built a toned down version but it wasn't put into production either...

The first real do anything aircraft...

The H-13's are suffering from the ultra fine detail affliction, what my minds eye sees compared to what is possible.... I'm working through that at this point and with the wife in her situation I really haven't the time to go into that level of engineering... Probably going to have to turn down the expectations on them... This build was something quick and easy as a way to relieve stress....

They are still coming as are several others...

EG

Quote:

8 hours ago, lmagna said:

One of the better looking renditions of a Bent Wing Flying Anvil I have seen. It may almost be too big for your self but it would be a shame to have it anywhere else. 

Thanks Lou, Much appreciated! She is definitely a space taker..... I was thinking of making her wheels up and hanging her off the ceiling but I couldn't figure out how to represent the exhaust plumes

My personal favorite name was the phrase; "Worlds biggest distributor of Mig parts" {chuckle}

Quote:

8 hours ago, Canute said:

Ours (USAF) never got those spiffy paint jobs.

If I had had an AF rig (F-4E) I would have did a spiffy paint job brother... but I just went with what I had.... As far blood on the model goes, the Admiral has a saying, It's not mine till it's drawn blood... (most of mine have some form of personal contribution in it somewhere) This one is no different.... {chuckle}

Quote:

13 hours ago, Canute said:

my instructors opined on the fact that Mr McDonnell could take a commercial freezer, strap 2 General Electric J-79s to it and make a supersonic, fighter-bomber, interceptor. capable of Mach 2 flight.

I think that the Phantom was full size proof of the RC aircraft adage that anything can be made to fly if you apply enough power.

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

My personal favorite name was the phrase; "Worlds biggest distributor of Mig parts" {chuckle}

We had a few names for them, some complementary, others not so much. I once had a few VERY poor references to one when we were flying along, minding our own business and not bothering anyone when a Phantom came up from behind, (Our blind area unless we were leaning out of the door and looking) at possibly supersonic speed, probably five feet above our  rotor, (Well POSSIBLY a little further away) and scared us into last week! I do not know how fast he was going, I say supersonic because it was LOUD and he was gone almost faster than we knew what had happened! WE were all over the sky ourselves, either from the jet wash/speed, or our pilot's reaction, probably both. I don't know for certain if the pilots made an official complaint. I kind of doubt it  as we had pulled somewhat similar "pranks" on people on the ground a couple of times. Sometimes one gets bored, even in the military.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Even if the speed/Mach meter said we were subsonic, parts of the jet were already supersonic. If you ever had a Phantom show up over a crowd and it's quiet until it's not, that's the effect. I think the military demo teams (T birds, Blues) made use of that with one of their solos, back when they were flying the F-4. Main team out front, dazzled everybody with their precision formations and that pesky solo (old 5 or 6) would come over the crowd from behind the viewing stand and rock your socks off.

We couldn't go supersonic over the North American landmass except for designated training areas like the Nellis or Hill AFB ranges in Nevada and Utah. Big reason why the SST was a flop for Braniff, since they were restricted to sub sonic use over the US. Who'd pay premium fares for a cramped ride at the same speeds as a DC-10. Ever since that time, the experimenters have been working on getting supersonic speeds without propagating the shock wave to the ground and irritating the citizenry.

Ken

I'll admit I know next to nothing about most aircraft,  but I can appreciate a very, very nice model of them, outstanding OOB build EG😉😊

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Canute said:

I think the military demo teams (T birds, Blues) made use of that with one of their solos, back when they were flying the F-4. Main team out front, dazzled everybody with their precision formations and that pesky solo (old 5 or 6) would come over the crowd from behind the viewing stand and rock your socks off.

Back in the '80's I had occasion to experience this effect, the T-birds were flying at the McChord open house.... The viewing stands extended from the base of the tower in front of the south hangar northward along the runway.... There about 10 yds between where I was standing and the hangar door..... The diamond formation had just cleared the low speed pass from north to south and was exiting the area, nothing at that point causing the crowd to look around to see what was next.... BOOM! #5 came out right over the hangar over the crown and busted all our eardrums, he wasn't supersonic, but he sure sounded like it.... He pulled up into a vertical climb and disappeared...

Very impressive.....

Quote:

3 hours ago, Papa said:

“ Today I figured that I would slap together one of my easier pieces”

i wish I could “slap together “ a model that well!

Thanks Papa,

Well, there was a bit more work to it than that I'll admit, but not much.... It went together real easy...

Quote:

2 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'll admit I know next to nothing about most aircraft,  but I can appreciate a very, very nice model of them, outstanding OOB build EG😉😊

Thank you very much Ed, 

Missed ya around these parts.... Of course I haven't had the time to really pay any attention though...

Quote:

I was lucky to see this one back in 2003  - superb power.

Not my video.

OC.

https://youtu.be/5i1wRyjecuA

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.