USS Iowa BB-61: Anybody knows the structure midship?

Hello,

As I am new to the forum, I hope my question is correctly posted in this section. I am currently scratch building the USS Iowa (BB-61) in 1:1200 in the state of around 1944/45. One area just gives me a headache, the area midship between the second funnel and the "radar dome" (pls. see attached). There also seems to be no pictures (at least I haven't found any) about this area. The one I have found (pls. see attached) must be at the commissioning of the USS Iowa, but the structure, winch or whatever it is, is covered. Thus, does anybody know

1. What that structure is, what it was used for and can eventually post a picture of the structure?
  2. Was there a signal flag box (in addition to the two upfront close to the bridge) close to the second funnel?

Thanks in advance already.

Best,

Jack

USS-Iowa-1.jpg

USS-Iowa-2.jpg

Edited by JackSix

I think what you have circled ARE the flag bags, as we used to call them.  They are boxes with two staggered rows of fingers to hold the individual flags in a way that makes it easy to snap hook them on to the halyard.

I am basing my guess on the shape of the top of the canvas covers showing them draped over what look like the two tiers of fingers. Flag bags were always fitted with canvas covers.

Regards,

Henry

Former USN signalman

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

2 hours ago, bwross11 said:

I believe what you're looking at is the 5" Practice Loader.

That makes perfect sense. I found them online in the instructions for a kit, but they weren't labeled -- they looked gun-like, but without the rest of the gun it was hard to say what they were.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Those ARE the twin 5" Practice Loading Machines. These are shown on both the BB-63 1950 BoGP and the BB-62 1955 BoGP (Booklet of General Plans). As for the question regarding the existence of a flag bag abaft the after stack, the answer is "yes" as there were signal halyards employed from the after stack mast and were tied off on this single, centrally located flag bag. Here is a snip of the plan view from the BB-62 (1955) BoGP of that area - it shows the loading machines & flag bag being discussed -

BB-621955BlowUp.JPG.7977ea798c6fee205091107fbf67caa3.JPG

These items were unchanged from the 1940's and we still had the flag bag intact aboard USS NEW JERSEY when I was serving in her in 1968-69. I scanned this copy of the 1955 BoGP when I was at NARA in 2016 and the hand written note indicates changes made for her 1967 refit for Vietnam using this set of general plans. I have a set of the 1967 BoGP for NEW JERSEY, but haven't had it scanned as yet. This copy was in "fair" condition as evidenced by the quality of the scan.

Additionally, this overhead shot of IOWA in 1944 should be conclusive although the flag bag can't be seen -

BB-611944BlowUp.JPG.8507f7aa5780aa814c2cc7c1f98c6245.JPG

Hope this answers your questions. 

Construction Underway:

Entering Builder's Yard - USS STODDARD (DD-566) 1967-68 Configuration (Revell 1:144 FLETCHER - bashed)

In Development - T2 or T3 Fleet Oil Tanker (1:144 Scratch Build Model) - 1950s era

Currently - 3D Design/Printed 1/48 scale various U.S.N. Gun Mounts/Turrets and GFCS Directors (Mk. 34, 37, 38, 54)

Completed:
Armed Virginia Sloop (1768)
Royal Caroline (1748)
Sloop/Ship PEACOCK (1813) (Scratchbuilt)

USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62) 1967-69 Configuration (Trumpeter 1:200 bashed MISSOURI)

Member:
NRG
NCMM Beaufort -CSMA

Dear all,

Thx to all of you for your answers/support.

1. To the "structure" - yes, the structure is a "Twin 5in. practice loading machine". Once, I had the trigger (thx to @bwross11), I even found a picture of it.

image.png.fc5b8ebffacf44c6852a534272a7c1dd.png 

image.png.6eae9b6bec8649ead3689cce16a60bf6.png

(Source: https://www.shapeways.com/product/T53CURXSD/1-48-usn-5-inch-loading-machine-starboard)

2. To the "Signal Flag Box" - I couldn't find an original picture, but I checked some models (e.g. Trumpeter USS Iowa 1/200). All of them show a signal flag box at the aft mast at the second funnel in addition to the 2 boxes at the bridge structure. I think they are right, as it makes sense.

image.png.f05619bd56ee8665b14e6a19256d5ab0.png

Source: Youtube (below)

Gents, thx again!

Jack