Hi All,

This is the Artesania San Fancicso cross section.

Clearly this middle deck in on a slant but i don't know why. I should have spotted this when putting on the middle deck base as it was not touching the 2 spars in the middle.

The photos show that the end Rib (excuse my terminology if its not right) is flush with the keel piece and the middle deck piece is sitting flush on it. This is identical to the other end which is correct.

The last photo shows a pencil mark of how much higher that end Rib is if i put a spirit level across the other 3 ribs.

Going forward i can adjust that last Rib so that the top deck will be flat

20240207_114154.thumb.jpg.47e55ef5ea1f9bc884c93947d92ed2aa.jpg

20240207_copy.thumb.jpg.fc75f039eed56fb590bf4d24cacc515b.jpg

20240207_2.thumb.jpg.d01298cf7dfa1452c8da2e38e463d193.jpg

I am not sure you have done anything wrong yourself.  Regarding the frames and deck beams (ribs and spars😀), while the decks were almost horizontal midships in many cases there was often some curvature. Looking at the kit, which is purportedly 16th century design, there are a number of inaccuracies so it MAY be the kit designer got it wrong.  For example, there are belaying pins which were not used until two centuries later.  Instead of triangular or heart shaped deadeyes there are round deadeyes which did not come into use until much later.  The carriages have four trucks (wheels) where as they were usually equipped with two trucks and a sled at that time.   No matter. it is part of the learning curve and the main thing is have fun while learning the intricacies which just takes time to do some research along the way.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 1 month later...

Im pretty sure the deck is supposed to be on a slant. As the decks on the original ship's sort of followed the lines of the hull.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2024 at 7:49 AM, S.Coleman said:

As the decks on the original ship's sort of followed the lines of the hull.

Hi Scott

Are you speaking about the line of the hull planking?  If so the decks of galleons and even later vessels normally did not follow the lines of the hull. You can see the deck line on the plan below as well as the line of the hull planking via the wales.  The inboard profile below is from circa 1695 so a bit later than the San Francisco, but is hopefully a good example.  The deck lines are highlighted in red and follow the deck beams which can be seen on the plan while the hull planking is on a different line.  For the purposes of the cross section model, any curvature fore and aft midships would be barely noticeable at our scales.

Allan

Hullversusdeckline.JPG.04a20f18876d3a21a424a6f2a6f583e2.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU