Making lifeboat small mast for 1:200 Yamato

What actual diameter do you need?   One idea that comes to mind if I am picturing this correctly, you can run bamboo through a draw plate to the largest diameter you need for the mast then taper as needed with sandpaper.  My preference is to start with bamboo skewers or chopsticks and split them to a workable size, then run them through the draw plate holes until I reach the diameter I need.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

57 minutes ago, allanyed said:

What actual diameter do you need?   One idea that comes to mind if I am picturing this correctly in my mind, you can run bamboo through a draw plate to the largest diameter you need for the mast then taper as needed with sandpaper.  My preference is to start with bamboo skewers or chopsticks and split them to a workable size, then run them through the draw plate holes until I reach the diameter I need.

Allan

Thanks for replaying mate. I think I will try use first tooth picks. And use sandpaper make smaller diameter. Thanks for idea what can I use 😀. Will have fun with it.

6 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Since you have posted this under metalworking it would seem that you are considering metal.  Metal, particularly brass can be an excellent choice for very small parts as grain is not a factor.  A piece of hard brass wire should work.

Thanks for advice. I think it will be best choice.

On Amazon, a productive search term is "brass Welding Wire Rods".

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Another option would be phosphor bronze wire. It's a bit stiffer than brass, which can helpful at his diameter, and it still solders great.

You can buy it straightened. (There are probably other sources, but this is the one I am personally most familiar with.)

https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/n_wire/Default.aspx

However I opted to buy it on a spool and straighten it. You get a fairly inexpensive wire straighting tool that does a decent job straighting the wire.

The pulling method mentioned above should also work, but does change the diameter a little and makes the wire stiffer (which can be good or bad).

Still at it. Progress slow yet. This time I added walnut gunnel trim.  Nothing like photos to show the screwups. Eventually it will clean up nicely. Looking ahead; what do I do for blocks? I have not calculated it out but at best guess 1/16" diameter on average. Same for cannon balls. Probably next stepwise to primer the hull to protect it from damage.

Bill

ship - 1.jpeg

Fall down nine times, get up ten.