HMS Agamemnon by Blacky - Caldercraft - 1/64

Thank you @mugje

I just finished Nelson's desk. The quill was made from real feather. I added a small diary and left 2 drawers open to make it more interesting. Hope you like it. 

Question: since it is very small is it a good idea to fininish it with oil? Can I somehow delute tung oil?

20240625_205932.thumb.jpg.808588e3a0bf16c414ae24595ce23183.jpg

Hi,

Great work with the desk!

An oil finish should work well, but test on a piece of scrap first!

Tung oil can be thinned with white spirit (or turpentine). Have you thought of trying Danish oil? It contains some tung oil, but I find that it drys more quickly. Some brands of tung oil I've used in the past seemed to take an age to get past the tacky stage....

Good luck!

Graham

Hi Graham, I have no experience with oils, til now i have only used varnish which can be sprayed in very thin layer. But if oil can be aplied and wiped so that it doesn't ruin the detailes i am willing to try that option. I want to give wood nice and warm tone which varnish cannot do.

After 2 coats of linseed oil. The wood  color is now a little bit warmer and darker and reflects environment. I used dry brushing method. I applied a little bit of oil to kitchen paper and than used small brush to transfer oil to the wood. I plan to apply 2 more layers tomorrow on larger surfaces, sand them gently and than apply the final layer 

20240627_142205.jpg

20240627_142140.jpg