HMS Agamemnon by Blacky - Caldercraft - 1/64

Hello everyone.

Yes, I am starting my second project. First one is in rigging stage and i love working with wood, so.... I bought this kit a while ago and i couldn't wait to unpack it and start modeling. My first ship of the line. I wanted to build this one 5 years ago but i knew i didn't have enough knowledge or practice so i had to start with something smaller like endeavour. The wait is over, lets get to the work. 

20240227_190433.jpg

20240227_190422.jpg

As you can see this kit does not have interior for the cabines included so i will try to do it my self. I am trying to find the right blueprints of the ardent class 1764 for it and reference photos of simmilar ships. I guess the interior design is simmilar than the one on victory. 

I did found the blueprints of the quarterdeck but the upper gun deck is still the mystery to me. If ANYONE has any information, please feel free to jump in.

Screenshot_20240225_151904_X.jpg

20240229_215204.jpg

Blacky,

I have all of the  Ardent (1764), Ardent (1782) and Anson 1781 plans in high resolution downloaded as they are  available on the Wiki Commons site. With the deck plans and Inboard profile you should have everything you need.   I would attach here for you but each is 35mb to 70 mb.  Go to the Wiki site  https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ship_plans_of_the_Royal_Museums_Greenwich   Pages 1 and 4  have all the drawings for the above vessels in high res.   You can also contact Bucklers Hard to see what information they have on Agamemnon.  They were very helpful in the past when I was doing a lot of research on Euryalus which was also built at Bucklers Hard.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Lower gun deck painted in black to reduce visibility since there are only gun barrels. I plan to plank only middle part that can be seen through the upper deck. Last two bulkheads are finally glued so i can't work on it today anymore.

Frame for the lower cabin is also glued and reinforced and I also managed to cut the 0.8 plywood for the floor. The original plywood (which wasn't included in the set,  i think the one i got is for hms victory) stops at the cabin so i had to extend the deck. I contacted Jotika support and they told me that they cannot sent me missing part directly if i dont spend 150£. 

20240303_174726.jpg

20240303_174836.jpg

20240303_174858.jpg

There do not appear to be any marks on the bulkheads for the widths of the strakes of planking.  It is best explained in the Articles database here at MSW and in the planking videos by Chuck Passaro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWooJ1o3cM   Hope you don't mind the right side up pic of your model......😀

Allan

Upsidedown.jpg.1b74bfe90834dad931634db7eb4ba009.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 5 weeks later...

Update, still working on the first layer. Using methods that Chuck explained and adjusting them as suits me. Should be more than good enough forthe first planking layer. I want it to be solid base for the second layer and get the curves right. 

20240413_083732.jpg

20240413_084226.jpg

20240413_083743.jpg

20240413_084149.jpg

Perfect start. Love this ship. I will eventually get one myself. Planking looks smooth and even. Nice job.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Posted (edited)

This might help.  From the Shipbuilder's Repository 1788 which should be close for Agamemnon 1781:

Fourth futtocks moulded at the upper deck 9 3/4" 

Top timbers <at the top end> moulded in the range of the forecastle 5 1/4"  The dimensions below are what they would be if made to scale 1:64  This would apply to the forward frames as well.

It looks like the forward most frames moulded dimension is too heavy.    Perhaps the kit has it extra thick due to the pressure of the planking bend in that area.

Allan

Agamemnonframes.JPG.423d32b7795da4e6095c2869595db076.JPG

Edited by allanyed

Thanks @allanyed. I think you are right. Now that the first layer is finished i think it is safe to trim the first three to the right dimension.

But first, sanding, cutting the gunports and then i am moving to the interior. I also plan to do custom version of the agamemnon figurine but all in its time

20240428_195438.jpg