Santa Maria

Im planning on building the Santa Maria next. I know there are several manufacturers of this ship. I'm either going for the Amati version or Artisania Latina kit. Do any of you chaps have experience of either please?  I have built one AL kit before (the bounty Jolly boat), and made Billing (andrea gail, will everard) and Occre (titanic and rocket) and Model Trailways (hearse) kits, so i guess I'm an intermediate level builder. Which one should I go for?

Thanks for any help or guidance.

Tony

Hi Tony,  the choice is yours lol. I have done the Amati Santa Maria and had the time of my life, it was my first build. I have seen great logs for both Amati and AL.  check out all the builds for the Santa Maria and pick the one you would like, both will be a lot of fun to build. I can only say that the instructions were lacking  but  the quality of the wood was excellent and  with the help I got here and I needed it lol, I pulled off a nice build I think. Or just buy Both LOL:cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,

The Mayflower-Amati-1:60

Current Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

I have done the Amati Santa Maria and the Mantua Santa Maria. Both are good kits that can be further enhanced by a bit of good old fashioned bashing. 

Both have pro's and cons like all kits really. I would say of the 2 I prefer the Mantua. But you really need to cut down on the ratlines on that one. There's way too many.

You might also like to check out this newer version from Pavel Nikitin

https://shipsofpavelnikitin.com/details?code=CSM01

I will definitely be getting this one day. 

2 hours ago, vossy said:

You might also like to check out this newer version from Pavel Nikitin

https://shipsofpavelnikitin.com/details?code=CSM01

I will definitely be getting this one day. 

Let us know which one you get, Tony!  Will be watching.

And yes, vossy, I added the Pavel Nikitin version to my shipyard for.... someday! <shrug> 👍😁

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin