Devin Collins 1899 by Ferrus Manus - 1/18 - Devonshire Sloop-rigged pilot cutter

I have found Chapelle’s books to be invaluable.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the recommendation. I will have to look into it. While this is a pilot cutter, other similar boats like the Lizzie Annie are equally valuable resources. The shallow hull sets the Devin Collins apart from other pilot cutters, and from what I've seen, all pilot cutters are unique. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Posted (edited)

I’m just confused because the plan before your drawing has a straight bow, but then you said you’re redesigning to make a straight bow?

Edited by Isaiah

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Isaiah said:

I’m just confused because the plan before your drawing has a straight bow, but then you said you’re redesigning to make a straight bow?

The plan shown was not my own. It was a representation of what I wanted my bow to look like. I redesigned my own bow to reflect the online image. That picture is likely a photocopy, my designs are all drawn on paper with pencil. Go back and look at the original side profile of the boat. I hope that answers your question. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

4 hours ago, Ferrus Manus said:

The plan shown was not my own. It was a representation of what I wanted my bow to look like. I redesigned my own bow to reflect the online image. That picture is likely a photocopy, my designs are all drawn on paper with pencil. Go back and look at the original side profile of the boat. I hope that answers your question. 

Ok gotcha.

• 2 weeks later...

This is one of the only good views of the deck of the Lizzie Annie, apart from the obstruction of the bow by the massive genoa sail. 

Kentish Sail Association on Instagram: “The Essex oyster smack, Lizzie  Annie, built by Aldous of Brightlingsea in 1906 and seen here off Sto… |  Sailing, Boat, Photo

Look at the distinct absence of a cockpit. The designers worked around this by angling the tiller upward. This boat is small enough to be controlled by a man on the tiller, rather than requiring tiller gear. For that reason, I might be making the executive decision to exclude the cockpit on the Devin Collins. The main reason for this is to avoid unnecessary complications in the build, and simplify the framing. The lack of a cockpit leaves more room for other things on the boat, such as crates of ale or books for the deckhands to read while they wait for a large windjammer to enter the Bristol Channel. 

This cutter has a very small cockpit and no deckhouse:

Bristol Pilot Cutters - Lovesail - A one stop shop for sea dogs & mermaids.

While this cutter has no cockpit and a tiny deckhouse:

Bristol Channel 38 ft Pilot Cutter Replica 2011 - Sandeman Yacht Company

The recurring theme I notice in the realm of pilot cutters is a distinct lack of uniformity. 

Looking back, I will be going with my original plan to plank the interior of the bulwarks. This will be achieved by placing the upper half of the main wale above deck level, to support and align the bulwark stanchions. Scuppers will be drilled into the upper part of the wale. lower and upper part of the bulwarks will be in-filled with, presumably, wood planking material. This will form the cap rail as well, being made up of two thin planks inside and outside the top of the bulwarks, filled and sanded. The eyebolts (?) for the shrouds will be inserted into the top of the bulwarks. The making up of the bulwarks (and all the planking in general) will occur after the deck is put in. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, here are the rest of the keel frames. 

image.thumb.jpeg.0a1165bea82f655e7007449262e4f578.jpeg

There are only four more frames to do, and those will be the stempost frames. I might take a different design path for those, as the modified semicircle shape won't suffice for a frame with a significant length and very little width. After I'm done making the frames, I'll cut them and the false keel out and slot them together to see if I'm happy with the overall hull shape. 

Thing is, it's dusty as hell, obscured by a bunch of bubble wrap and unused lengths of baseboard and cardboard floor covers for painting and sheetrock and even more baseboards. I'm not even sure it's been used in my lifetime. It'll be interesting to try out, though. Assuming it even works, it's the only power tool I'll need, save for a drill. 

Another really helpful tool is a bench top sander. Even if you just buy the cheapest one you can find just to sand the frames it’ll be a million times better than hand sanding.

I have the Triton spindle and belt sander which is really good, but i wouldn’t say I use it enough for the price.

I'm pretty sure we also have a disc sander that I could use to fair the frames. It depends on the application and how useful it'll be. I designed the frames so that the only fairing I have to do is what's absolutely necessary. Don recommended me a hand planer to take off greater amounts of material. Might as well sand/fair my sorrows away in the summer night air (I live in the northern hemisphere unlike you and Steven). We have quite a few metal files, which I'm sure will rip through the frames like butter, then go back in with a sanding sponge for the finer sanding and the more sensitive parts, like the bottom of the frames. Most shipwrights fair by hand, which is more precise and has less likelihood to take off too much material. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus

Today marks a major milestone in the build. I am DONE with the designs for the keel and frames. 

image.thumb.jpeg.070e812677f45c517bbf444b19b541f0.jpeg

Designing the keel and frames has taken me more than two months, which is about the same amount of time I spend on most small models. The next step will be to cut everything out and test fit it together to get a good idea of what the boat's lines will end up looking like. I can guarantee the framing won't take nearly as long as the designs did, and I plan to have the framing done (framing, sanding, filler blocks) by the end of June, with the boat ready to be planked. 

Nicely done!

I usually use 60-120 grit sandpaper for fairing.

If I were going to buy a scroll-saw, I would recommend getting the best one you can afford so that it will last longer and cut more accurately.

I have a Delta scroll saw that I’ve never taken out of the box.

I keep meaning to use it but I haven’t needed it yet.

Personally, I like my coping saw for cutting out parts because it’s easier to control, for me.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

A band saw is probably the best (and fastest) tool for what I need to do. It's kind of hard to believe these paper cutouts you see here took me 2 months. I suspect the actual framing will be easier, because all I have to do is glue these to pieces of wood, cut them out, assemble them, and fair them down. 

A copier and a cardboard box is your friend for a quick mockup.

I would fair by hand, unless you have what I have with Vanguard models with the engraved fairing lines and a dremel than just fair by hand. If you use a bench sander to fair the frames, You’ll overdo it before you can think.

Isaiah, that's what I meant to say in one of these messages. I am aware of Vanguard's good design, but that can't be replicated in a home shop without some kind of ludicrously expensive and massive CNC machine. 

Fun fact: paper is, in fact, a 3-dimensional object. 

image.thumb.jpeg.ef4074fc40283cc4201ae8f40dfa5984.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2632ddd77a0e6006ed30a333acfd4648.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.e7dacf77d8628a28f14599a9036fcaac.jpeg

If this isn't the worst mock up you've ever seen, stop lying to yourself. 

My main goal in doing this was to determine whether any of the frames were too wide, and they aren't. My precise measurements earlier in the build paid off. Now, I just have to disassemble this thing without ripping the paper. 

Edited by Ferrus Manus