Civil war iron sides

I'm looking for a quality US civil war iron side wooden ship kit...any suggestions as I was surprised there is nothing around that jumps out at me?

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Ian, there's not much out there. The first link is a bit interesting but nothing like the USS New Ironsides in the 2nd and 3rd links. The 2nd link is for reference only as it's a commercially completed model. The only model I could find is a paper model, see 3rd link. Paper models are way out of my league but you might be able to use it as a guide to scratch build? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185379792994?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=185379792994&targetid=&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1019476&poi=&campaignid=20389314120&mkgroupid=&rlsatarget=&abcId=9317278&merchantid=7873604&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_QDh82kovZ-0aeV3vEPRWJZ2h0L&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-e79pL2whQMVDU5HAR2PTgBzEAQYCiABEgKFsfD_BwE

https://www.modelshipmaster.com/products/civil_war/New-Ironsides.htm

https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-200-union-uss-new-ironsides-paper-model

4 minutes ago, Keith Black said:

Ian, there's not much out there. The first link is a bit interesting but nothing like the USS New Ironsides in the 2nd and 3rd links. The 2nd link is for reference only as it's a commercially completed model. The only model I could find is a paper model, see 3rd link. Paper models are way out of my league but you might be able to use it as a guide to scratch build? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185379792994?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=185379792994&targetid=&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1019476&poi=&campaignid=20389314120&mkgroupid=&rlsatarget=&abcId=9317278&merchantid=7873604&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_QDh82kovZ-0aeV3vEPRWJZ2h0L&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-e79pL2whQMVDU5HAR2PTgBzEAQYCiABEgKFsfD_BwE

https://www.modelshipmaster.com/products/civil_war/New-Ironsides.htm

https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-200-union-uss-new-ironsides-paper-model

Thanks Keith 😁 I was so surprised about such an obvious gap in the market, the American market for such a kit must be large excluding the rest of the world..they are so distinctive that it would stand out in my world of sail..

There's a huge gap of wood model ship kits available from the 1860's to 1900. That period of transition from sail to steam, cannon to gun, and wood to iron clad is largely ignored. I guess it's driven by market demand but I still say provide the option, I think manufactures would be surprised.

Posted (edited)

There are plenty of transition era ships that are available in card from Orel and other card kit makers, including American ships.

Wargames Vault makes a 1/200 New Ironsides out of card.

Card kits make great templates for wood scratch builds.

They aren’t kits, but AAMM has a few French transition era ship plans.

Also, the French Ministry of Defense has plans for a lot of their ships from the latter half of the 19th Century online.

Those all include quite a few of the ironclads and early steel ships.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Flagship Models had an extensive line of ACW ironclads, primarily in 1/192 scale, but the owner passed away. Luckily for modelers, the line was picked up by Squadron Models. I believe they intend to re-release these kits in the future. 🤞

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Flagship Models had an extensive line of ACW ironclads, primarily in 1/192 scale, but the owner passed away. Luckily for modelers, the line was picked up by Squadron Models. I believe they intend to re-release these kits in the future. 🤞

Thanks Keith,there is nothing on there yet, so fingers crossed for the future 

Flagship had one in development, I believe. With Rusty's passing, that one is on hold.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild