USS Essex by Jman8763 - Trumpeter - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Hey guys, this will be my first build log! I am doing the USS Essex by trumpeter 1/350 scale. The time period I am going for is the summer of 45.  I am average model builder so you will see some mistakes. I am trying to get the most detail out of the model thru PE sets, 3d printed parts, and scratch building. I never scratched build before and this was one of my challenges I want to tackle with this project. I want to have light in the flight hangar and this will also be a first for me. I started this build a month ago and had made some progress. I hope you guys enjoy this build as much as me. I appreciate any advice or tips and tricks! I will upload pics of the build so far and accessories I plan on using.

Here are some photos of progress being made. For the hull, I used 6mm tape for spacing between the plates. I used Mr. Surfacer 500 then stretch sprue. For the ceiling of the flight hangar, I used T face and I beams to show the beams. I left a gap in the middle of the ceiling for the lighting. I started working on the island first and have most of it completed already. I need to finish the radars and some  PE on the island. After this, it is ready for paint. The bow and stern are 90% done. I am waiting for some miscellaneous bits to show up and to be added.

IMG_8609.jpg

IMG_8610.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

IMG_8617.jpg

IMG_8618.jpg

IMG_8619.jpg

IMG_8629.jpg

IMG_8638.jpg

IMG_8647.jpg

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_8649.jpg

IMG_8652.jpg

IMG_8653.jpg

IMG_8677.jpg

IMG_8678.jpg

IMG_8674.jpg

IMG_8675.jpg

IMG_8676.jpg

IMG_8632.jpg

IMG_8633.jpg

IMG_8634.jpg

IMG_8623.jpg

IMG_8621.jpg

Finally here is the project as it currently stands. I installed the anchor and anchor chain. I started to scratch build inside the hangar. I replaced the beams between the doors since I cut them out with the hangar doors. This kit is really showing its age now. There has been a lot of flash and pin injectors. I used some plastic card to cover the pin injectors. I am constantly dry fitting the flight deck to the hangar deck to make sure there is a good fit. My next goal is to get the other side of the hangar deck done. I want to get a beware of propeller decal but I cant find them anywhere. Any suggestions?

IMG_8679.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg

IMG_8682.jpg

IMG_8655.jpg

IMG_8656.jpg

IMG_8657.jpg

IMG_8658.jpg

Update for this week. I finally finished the island! I added the last details to it and did a lot of CA glue clean up. I am really happy how it came out so far. The SM radar gave me major trouble and I am not a fan of it. The mast and radar set up is suppose to be in the summer of 45. I found a few reference photos to support the placement. I added the other side hangar deck detail. I feel like I should add more but how much are you going to really see in it even with lights? What do you guys think? More detail or nah? Outside the ship, I filled in gaps as much as possible. I added the twin bits to bow and stern of the ship. I also got the booms installed. I finished up the elevator housing and is ready for installment. This week coming up, the game plan is to finish up exterior detail and start playing the paints. Its starting to come together quickly now.

IMG_8699.jpg

IMG_8701.jpg

IMG_8702(1).jpg

IMG_8704.jpg

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8706.jpg

IMG_8707.jpg

IMG_8708.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

IMG_8694.jpg

IMG_8695.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

IMG_8680.jpg

IMG_8689.jpg

IMG_8690.jpg

IMG_8709.jpg

IMG_8688.jpg

1 hour ago, ddp said:

why are your 2 forecastle deck paravanes laying on the deck instead of stacked vertically against the forward bulkhead? the  CV-17 USS Bunker Hill Booklet of General Plans 1946 shows them stacked vertically against the forward bulkhead.

CV-17 USS Bunker Hill Booklet of General Plans (1946) https://archive.org/details/cv17bogp1946

I didn’t know where they went so I guessed. I never seen these plans before and thanks for sharing! I guess it’s to late now to reposition them 😞

4 hours ago, Jman8763 said:

There is a Canadian seller that sells the kit for a good price and aftermarket pieces from Joy yard.

Hi Jman can you provide the seller info. I visited Missouri at Pearl this summer so BB-63 is on my list of future builds 

Scott

Currently building:

HM Yacht Chatham - 1:64 - Caldercraft

1 hour ago, Haliburton said:

Hi Jman can you provide the seller info. I visited Missouri at Pearl this summer so BB-63 is on my list of future builds 

Scott

Hey,

Here is the website. The owner is very friendly and explained to me why the prices are so low on these kits.

https://drydockmodelsandparts.com/collections/joy-yard-ship-model-kits

Update for the week….. the bow and stern are completed except paint. I added the elevator to the ship. I hope this doesn’t bite me when putting the wooden sticker on it. The fuel lines are added on both sides. I added the external ladders and AA gun placements at the bow. The starboard accommodation ladder didn’t agree with me soooo I’m pretending it was lost at sea hahaha. I started working on the catwalks. On the starboard side, it feels like  two steps forward and one step back. A lot of detail on this side. Portside catwalks are completed.  

IMG_8714.jpeg

IMG_8716.jpeg

IMG_8717.jpeg

IMG_8718.jpeg

IMG_8719.jpeg

IMG_8720.jpeg

IMG_8721.jpeg

IMG_8722.jpeg

IMG_8723.jpeg

IMG_8724.jpeg

IMG_8725.jpeg

IMG_8726.jpeg

IMG_8727.jpeg

IMG_8728.jpeg

IMG_8729.jpeg

IMG_8730.jpeg

IMG_8731.jpeg

Since I am getting closer to putting the flight deck on, I have a few ideas of how I want the deck to look like. I really like this photo and I would like to recreate this image however I got a good amount of airplanes with their wings folded out. I could do a take off scene however, I'm pretty sure this heavy bird didn't get airborne till after leaving the deck. What do you guys think? 

unnamed (1).jpg

7648d0dd90fab64e61aceb4eda89c9d1.webp

1103_02_o.jpg

Aircraft_of_Carrier_Air_Group_5_warming_up_on_the_flight_deck_of_USS_Yorktown_CV-10_circa_late_1943.webp

air-group-83-aboard-uss-essex-cv-9-may-1945-PCB53A.jpg

Looks good. You may want to double check where the crash netting sets up. Your recovery flight deck looks like the whole air wing is positioned on deck. The launching configuration deck looks much better.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

1 hour ago, Canute said:

Looks good. You may want to double check where the crash netting sets up. Your recovery flight deck looks like the whole air wing is positioned on deck. The launching configuration deck looks much better.

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the landing positions. I need to get more folded wings for my bombers and that will cut down on space on the deck. I want to have all four aircraft wings down to show the size of the aircraft on deck and another four wings down in the hangar deck. 

I did some test painting to see what the paint colors would look like. Most of the paint is from MMP, Ak real colors, and one Tamiya. Out of the navy sea blue, I really like the MMP. The anti-fouling red looks good. For the hangar deck im leaning towards either gunship grey or dark ghost. The flight deck blue looks good but idk if it matches the wooden deck from Pontos. Which flight deck blue paint range matches the wooden deck? What do you guys think of the color ranges I am thinking of using?

IMG_8745.jpg

Sorry for being late this week for updates. So I finally got some paint on the old girl. I used tru color USN set. I really like the colors but man…. it’s a pain to airbrush. It gunks up the airbrush quickly and I mean quickly…… The hangar deck was painted insignia white and deck was painted gunship grey by mmp. I like these colors but again a pain to airbrush. The white was spraying like water. The grey was better but it still sprayed like water. I feel like there was to much thinner in these paints where the opposite is for tru color. The hangar flight deck was also painted and the outside bits too.  I made the cranes and completed the catwalks and AA mounts for the turrets. This week I’m going to start working on the planes and weather the hangar deck. Weathering overall is going to be light. I want to make the navy blue lighter. 

IMG_8752.jpeg

IMG_8762.jpeg

IMG_8753.jpeg

IMG_8754.jpeg

IMG_8755.jpeg

IMG_8756.jpeg

IMG_8757.jpeg

IMG_8763.jpeg

IMG_8764.jpeg

IMG_8766.jpeg

IMG_8761.jpeg

IMG_8769.jpeg