Bending your planking - moved by moderator

Hello, I am new to this forum but I've been building tall ships for quite a few years now. I'm presently constructing the Wasa.

One of the things I've spent considerable time thinking about and experimenting with is on the best way to bend planking.Having watched a master restore my cedar strip canoe I realized the answer was with the use of a steam box. Of course this idea had to be miniaturized. I have come up with a combination of a Steam box and wood jigs that the wet planks are clamped into in order to get the specific curves. This is very time efficient and accurate. If your interested in details then let me know.

I'm only on my second model and am using several methods of bending planks. I've culled most of the ideas from this website, but have invented a few myself. I definitely soak all planks before trying to shape them. Fifteen to twenty minutes for the hardwood I'm using in a mixture of water and about 15% ammonia. Then I use a variety of methods. One is a jig I've built that matches the shape of the hull. That works for some planks. An other way is to pin the wet plank in place and let it dry. It takes on the shape to be used (almost). Another way is to use a heating iron with wet cloths to create the steam you mention. I use that with a curved form. I'd like to see you gadgets. How can I see them?

Rich

Some newcomers have found that gluing even damp planks to the hull can result in gaps appearing once it's dried fully so any type of jig to pre bend off the hull sounds like a good idea. Some folks edge bend as well though so I'd be keen to see if this can be done at the same time!

Hi Paul. Yes please, I would like to see how you bend your planks.  Welcome, and best wishes on your build, and I look forward to seeing some photo's of your Wasa.

Best wishes

Jimbob (Richard)

A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.

A waterboiler makes a good job for me. I use a glue who can be used on wet woodstrips. No problem. Just put the planks in the boiler,start up, and once the water boiles, the planks are ready to be bended and glued in place. I use a bottle or something to pre-bend the strips. I just hold it a minute or so.

if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Rich,

a tea kettle works fine, the steam will be at 105 degree C, careful not to burn your hand or fingers. Works great as well.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

post-7235-0-84197600-1384343724_thumb.jpgpost-7235-0-92928600-1384343725_thumb.jpgpost-7235-0-35652000-1384343731_thumb.jpgSome pics of the boiler. I usualy use hold the plank with my hands, but I also use clamps to hold it. This is a 2x5 mm pine . Just put the plank you want to bend in the boiler, start it up, and when the water boiles, it is ready to bend. Soft as butter. 

if it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Hi,

This is a tip I picked up form Dan Vad a while ago now and I have found the easiest and most accuate way for me to bend and shape  planks, is to soak them and pin them to the hull, without glue, and let them dry then once they are dry make any small adjustments necessary and then glue them to the hull. It is a bit time consuming but the results are worth the wait 

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

I had Jimbob post the written instruction for building a Steam box and jigs.  I think he did this but I don't see it on here.I honestly don't understand why people are using all of these other methods. I guess I went through the same process before I came up with this idea. This is the proper way to bend any kind of wood and it is much easier than some of these other methods. Preforming the plank and being able to apply it to the hull when the wood dries is the way to go. Putting wet planks on a frame will bend, crack and warp the hull eventually. If Jim bob hasn't posted the document then send me an e-mail and I will send a copy to you.

I sent the written plans for the Steam Box to Dan Vadas. It's a steam box not a water boiler. It is designed to pressurize steam and force it into the center of the wood making it completely soft. Not wet or just soft on the outside. The goal is to bend the wood and have it dry before you install it. This way you won't have splitting, splintering, and frame warping and twisting as wet planks dry after installation. That is why you clamp the wet wood into pre made jigs until dry. I usually do about six at a time in pairs so each side of the hull is identical. This only takes 24 hours or so. If you have lots of clamps and jigs you can do more at one time. This is very accurate and a great time saver. I've been building ships for close to forty years now. ( on and off ) My other interests often took over my modelling time. A great deal of this time was spent inventing  and collecting the tools required to do this in a timely, efficient and accurate manner. Sorry this forum won't permit me to upload my file. Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy.

Paul

I've also sent you a PM and am looking forward to hearing from you.

Glyn

Current build - HM Mortar Convulsion (Caldercraft) - Suspended pending rigging experience

HMS Sharke (Sergal)

On the shelf: HMAV Bounty (Caldercraft), Portsmouth (Mamoli) & HMS Victory (Caldercraft)