I use Titebond II Dark Wood Glue, for just about any wooden parts. It has a great tack, will hold under fingure presure and sets up in a few minutes, allowing little time for adjustments and perminate clamping.

In regard to deck planking; I have been considering beveling the plank sides to say 45 degrees and attaching to the deck, covering with a couple of coats of varnish, then spreading out this glue to dry in the bevels, then scraping to final shape. I have not tried this yet, but I cut my own planking by hand and to scrape a bevel would not be that much more trouble.

Good luck

Larry

Hi Cap, I am not familuar witht he clue you mentioned. 
But the III goes on a light tan and drys a little darker. I noticed when making up the frames, when it puddles is can be real dark.

I have read adverrtisements for dark CA glue, but don't remember where...you could Google it.

Larry

Larry; Assume the resulting V would be outboard. The spacing would only be uniform on flat areas of the hull, a curve either way would result in opening or closing the open V which would appear as uneven spacing of the planking. Could take time to vary your open V but I doubt it would ever look good.

jud

Jud,

What I had in mind was to put a slight bevel on the outbound sides of the plank, maybe 1/4 the thickness of the plank. Lay the pland as you would any other, add a couple of coats of varnish to seal the plank, then flood with the dark glue. Scrape to surface. I see it as planking like any other..

Am I missing something.....

Thanks,"
Larry

Those filled V's between planks would provide a uniform and consistent result on a flat surface. With a concave or convex surface, the width of the resulting fill area would become wider or narrower dependent on the rate of change along the curved parts of the hull you are planking. You may be able to minimize that by beveling the 4 external right angles of the plank, looking at an end view each side would look like a flat ended point. With each edge being an inverted V the distortion should be minimal, depending on how the flat point of the V between planks lined up. From what I have seen in build logs it seems that the best way to obtain matching and uniform planking is to force a match between planks by sanding or other controlled wood removal method, testing often as you go. Someone with more experience with planking needs to jump in here.

jud

Edited by jud

I have been mixing black ink into the Lepages Carpenters glue with no problems noted over a couple of years so far.

post-202-0-52900400-1385759098_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-32687100-1385759100_thumb.jpg

post-202-0-74886200-1385759096_thumb.jpg

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

My origional comments were dealing with planking on a deck; not the hull. However, on any non=flat surface the sides of the plank would be beveled to the ajoining pland so that the join is purpendicular at the point of the join; like during frame construction. Otherwise, I still not following and have no interest except for deck planking and exploring a new method of doing that.