Low speed power drill

It gets hard on the old hands drilling lots of very small holes with a pin vise.  Are there any good low speed power drills available?  I was thinking of using a Black and Decker 6v cordless screwdriver with a microdrill chuck but don't know if that would be adequate.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

The little pistol grip cordless screwdriver is the way to go. Spend the $50 and get the one with the locking chuck. I got the cheaper one and the chuck pulls out when you try to retract the drill bit. Get a micro drill chuck from Micro-Mark. They have plenty of torque too. Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Thanks for the input.  I went online and got a cyber monday deal on a 3.6v Craftsman pistol grip drill.  I also ordered a micro chuck that is supposed to hold drills from 0 to 1mm.  I would like to have gotten one that would go up to 3mm but none of the ones I found online had good reviews or they wouldn't hold drills smaller than 1/32".

The nice thing about the Black&Deckers and the craftsman etc. is that they have enough torque to drive an inch and a half screw to the head in pine.Yet they have a pretty slow RPM. Not sure what it is but its managible. The Dremels are so high rpm that one has a hole in the wrong place before you know it. BILL

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Just an update.  The Craftsman 3.6v screwdriver works well with the micro chuck.  One issue I had was the hex of the micro chuck had a bit of looseness in it.  Not a real problem but it bothered me.  To correct it I put small strips of clear tape on 3 sides of the hex, that solved the problem.  BTW the no load speed of the screwdriver is 200rpm.

Edited by grsjax

I just started to salvage an old broken Dremel 750 minimite cordless after seeing the fine pencil like drill Ed Tosti was using.

Getting the chuck off the motor was a devil , however they assembled it it was powerful enough to pull the spindle out of the armature windings on the little 4.5 volt motor.

Then I added a flywheel and will fix it to a 12 volt Sagami can motor from the world of model railroads.

post-202-0-64570000-1386902822_thumb.jpg

I will use the telescoping brass tubes to form the body. The motor does not have a lot of power but with the brass flywheel it will have enough torque for small drills.

I got the idea from Gerald Wingrove a few years ago he used a small model locomotive motor for a mini drill.

Michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Finished the drill today, it is not quite as powerful as i would like but the drill works fine for those very small drills.

First picture shows the the additional ball race and flywheel.

post-202-0-92884800-1386999927_thumb.jpg

The second shows the second to last sleeve which is the same diameter as the can motor the hole lines up with the locking hole in the flywheel and also the 2x56 set screw. The largest sleeve has a wooden end piece that the wires exit from .

post-202-0-03494300-1386999929_thumb.jpg

last one show the # 80 drill and some holes in some boxwood, there is no vibration and it runs soothly.

post-202-0-60992500-1386999926_thumb.jpg

All the tubes were assembled with loctite except the solid end brass keeper next to the chuck, which was soldered with soft solder..

All in all I am pleased with the salvage.

michael

Edited by michael mott

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.