Scottish Maid by JesseLee - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Keith, The back is open but it is a raised opening. There would still need to be some way to drain water.

The timberheads are just the stock wood the kit provided - Sapelia - no stain or finish at all. It has sort of a dark reddish brown color. Tha deck has a few light coats of minwax pecan stain. I used this because it was all I had at the time. I didn't want to stain, just seal & this color was so light I thought it would work ok. Turned out to look even better than what I had intended. The steel wool is 00 (again- all I had on hand to use)

The deck is slightly domed up in the center tapering down each side. The bow & stern are also angled up slightly higher than the center of the deck. It looks like the front, back & center are the high areas & the sides in the center (over half the length) are the low areas. I may not have this right but that is how it all was shaped from the parts supplied in the kit.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Yes it does! Been looking for pictures of this type of ship but the only ones showing scuppers are modern built ones. They have oval shaped holes one near the wheelhouse & one around the lifeboat area. Another one had three large rectangular scuppers right in the center, I knew that probably didn't fit this time period.

How far forward did you make these?

Edited by JesseLee

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I would put a number of rectangular holes at deck level at the lowest part of the deck. The curvature of the deck has it raise both forward and aft. Somewhere just abaft of mid length on the deck is likely the lowest part of the deck. A row of rectangular holes just forward (or aft really) of the top timbers would be appropriate. Say 6-8 per side, depending on how long the deck remains low for.  Maybe more maybe less holes but I'd stay rectangular. It's easier to simply lop off the end of a plank after it reaches a top timber. Drilling round holes doesn't leave a big enough hole to drain the water properly. A round hole big enough would have reached up toward the cap rail weakening the structure too much. And drilling a hole is more work than lopping off the end of a plank I would imagine. You could ease the edges of the hole making it more like a D on it's side. Elongated. A yacht like vessel such as this would have been afforded that kind of luxury. At least that's how I'd do her up. :)

Thanks or the input. I got the cut today.

post-6826-0-89200700-1397867511_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone!

It has rained for 24 hrs. straight here. Good day to work on my ship. Got some hot tea & ready to get started. Will probably be getting sawdust in my tea as I work.

Soaked African walnut strips to bend for the gunwales. Used pins & small nails on a board to bend & hold the planks into shape till dry. The pins made small indentions at the points where they pressed against the strip during bending. Need to make one with wood pegs next time. Had to glue some sawdust in a few spots that were too deep to sand out. Got the gunwales finished. Hopefully I will be getting the rudder installed next.

post-6826-0-69421100-1397940006_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-15767300-1397940025_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-62644500-1397940039_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-60462900-1397940055_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-56095700-1397940074_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-77471500-1397940092_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-57923300-1397940107_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

Looks great! The Maid is one sleek vessel. She has some fine lines, I wonder how fast she was? She looks like she could fly.

A trick I've learned on the indents left from drying wet wood, left by clamps, pins.....

Take a small paint brush and rewet the indented area, keep applying to that one spot over and over. As the water soaks in, the dent will expand again and sometime you can't even see the indent. I don't know if this works with all woods but I've used it several times to take out some nasty indents. Even if it doesn't remove it completely it will usually bring it into sand out mode.

All I've ever heard was she was very fast but never read just how fast "very" was.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that

The pictorial instruction page shows bulwark inner panels. I have done a lot of searching & it seems only AL kits have this. I am assuming she didn't really have these & have decided not to add these (although it looks really cool)

post-6826-0-53074200-1397959121_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-99055800-1397959131_thumb.jpg

Those panels look like  dumbed down attempt at making it look like raised paneling. She likely had raised panels but that's not how they would have been done. I'd not put them in either. At least not like that. See Nenad's build log on how he did his on Cutty Sark. I'd try to emulate that and see what you can get. 

Great work on the gunwales Jesselee!

I wouldn't even thought of the nails damaging the wood as it bent myself so thank you for the lesson!

I hope you didn't get too much sawdust in your tea.  I nice biscuit might be a better choice than soggy sawdust for a snack  :P

Getting a little anxious. Dr. is going to schedule carpal tunnel surgery for me soon. Will try to get as much done before the surgery as possible. They will do one hand & 2 weeks later do the other. That will be at least a whole month I cant work on my ship! I will go crazy! 

YIKES! :o

Surgeries are no fun with Lyme, My last (and 8th) hernia is what pushed me over the edge and into disability. It was wall to wall mesh this time around, I was quadruple herniated and there's not much wall left and the mesh doesn't adhere correctly. It seems that spirocetes love collagen, they wear I as a disguise to hide from the immune system. Tricky spiro-bacteria, I think medicine has them WAY under estimated.

The antibiotics they gave me in the hospital reacted with the protocol I was on and the die off nearly killed me. That herx lasted for months and I thought I would die. Beware of the antibiotics as they typically administer them in surgeries. I'm not sure with carpal tunnel, but Tammy would know as that's her field. She says that you should talk to the Dr as they use it in only specific cases usually. She says to also discuss steroids as some Dr's inject steroids and I've had 2 meltdowns from steroids, one leading to meningitis. I don't know if you've experienced any of this but just wanted to pass it on.

I feel for you and understand the anxious mind of neuro-borealis and its neurological effects. I never understood what a panic attack was and couldn't understand a friend that had them, now I wish I still didn't know. It's sad that experience sometimes has to be the ticket the empathy. I'm sure you'll do fine though, carpal tunnels are becoming route anymore. Tammy says they do a lot of them, so if you have any question that she might help calm your nerves, she'd be glad to help.

Plus once its over think how much easier building will be.   :dancetl6:

You already know that you on my mine and in my prayers. Just keep telling your self its just another hurdle and every experience in life has a lesson that can be learn if your open to that.

Stated adding the hinges to the rudder. Dilled hole in rudder to join spigot. (The instructions showed it pined with a brass wire but that was too weak of a joint). Drilled hole through deck for the rudder spigot & completed hinges. Glued in the rudder & added paint above waterline. Hinges got a little scarred up during assembly so I decided to blacken them. Realized I don't have anything to darken the metal I went with flat black paint. Not what I wanted but the paint does help fill in & hide the scars & scratches.

post-6826-0-98623900-1398196196_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-31912300-1398196215_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-64555200-1398196237_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-37408600-1398196251_thumb.jpg

Next the rudder wheel assembly. Drilled holes for pinning together. Saw that there wasn't much surface area to join so it would be easy for the stanchions to break off. Thought I would try countersinking the holes underneath so I could use small brass nails for added strength. This worked fine & it all held together much stronger. Glued down to deck & attached tiller, drum & wheel. Completed assembly with blocks & line.

post-6826-0-70583100-1398199659_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-92811000-1398199674_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-48473000-1398199690_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-78418700-1398199714_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-32660900-1398199734_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-62294200-1398199757_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-45953400-1398199787_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-55455000-1398199804_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-39185800-1398199819_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Vivian!

Working on the channels. Looking over how the photos show the chain plates. Don't like the way they look with the kit parts. Think I will come up with something different

Nice job, Jesse.

What an elegantly simple rig for the wheel, although it seems one would steer facing backward or standing to the side.

From the picture from 2 posts back of the rudder hole, when clicked and enlarged one can really see the chocolate colour of the timbers. Its a really nice coloured and grained wood that adds so much. It should be interesting to see how finish changes them as it so often highlights beauty unseen before application.