Scottish Maid by Fraser - Hall's 1839 Clipper Schooner - 1/8th scale - Finished

Slow Progress! Decided that I really hadn't done a good job with the gunwhale rail or the channels and pin-rails weren't really good enough. So I spent rather a lot of time drawing and cutting a template to cut new rails from 1mm pear....Cutting long curves is a complete bastard. The rails are one piece. Needless to say it took a few shots to get it right and then a lot of sanding to make them smooth.

IMG_7058_zps8e930d2e.jpg

IMG_7059_zps5202b70a.jpg

I've also been busy making the cabin trunks and hatches. The panelling was done with 1mm strips of watercolour paper. Now they need painting to simulate varnished Mahogany or whatever dark wood was currently used...

IMG_7057_zps3464c472.jpg

and here's the state of theings at the close of play today: Catheads

IMG_7064_zps7b319dd2.jpg

The stern deco has begun...just a wee touch of filler, the noo.

IMG_7063_zps6ab55b60.jpg

and the cap rails are now completeand  the deckhouses in place. Just the woefully out-of-focus hatch coamings to go on and get finessed...

IMG_7065_zpsd9aed598.jpg

Nice that she's beginningtol  ook like a ship... :)

I think I'll probably give panelling a miss as, although I'm sure there are plenty of guitar mkers etc. using veneer in Portugal, I have no idea where to start looking as we live a long way from any major city and veneers I've seen from the UK seem to be 1.5mm thick? The timbers are only 2. The rails are 1mm pear. Actually, at this point I'm still undecided whether to do the hull in black or green. Most probably she was black.

She's realy looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Cheers. Right, first coat of paint, still needs a lot of tidying.... Got the bowsprit and jibboom together, if for no other reason that I need to be thinking about the base and case and how it'll fit. it also somehow marks a new chapter in the story.

IMG_7067_zps340621ee.jpg

Some small woodwork on the catheads and the bowsprit cap that joins the bowsprit and jubboom...drilling closely spaced holes in small bits of wood is, uh, challenging - hurrah for drill presses!

IMG_7069_zps5e085d88.jpg

A couple of close-ups

IMG_7071_zpscc0f52f0.jpg

IMG_7070_zpsffadd1b0.jpg

The cap will need an 'iron' band around it and a few twisted wire eyebolts, not to mention the dolphin striker

and at this point the name and home port go on.

IMG_7073_zpsdd322194.jpg

At this stage it's really starting to feel like it's happening. Mind you I'm not even thinking about the rigging - she'll have sails, so that will be a monumental amount of work in making just the blocks. I'm buying in belaying pins and deadeyes (3mm). There are limits to my insanity. I'd probably buy blocks in as well but i'm not sure of the sizes at this stage. Time to consult 'Masting and Rigging...'

Thanks for looking!

Wonderfull work!

How lucky onshore whilom you have been

you will remake whensoever the ship is sinking.

Seneca

Building:
HMS Wolf 1752, 1/48 snow-rigged Sloop 6pfd - 10 guns

Breton Thuna fishing boats 1/125 (plastic) & 1/50 (wood)

Reconstruction:
HMS Flying Fish 1806, 1/48 Baltimore Schooner 12 gun

There really ought to be a pinrail somewhere near the bow. This is usually right up in the bow combined with a bit of grating to ease access to the bowsprit. on Scottish Maid the bowsprit goes over the rail, so that one 's out. While looking for a solution I came across drawings of a  more or less contemporary Brig. A pin rail that curves out from the side pieces of the windlass to the pawl post so that the coils of rope on the rail don't get tangled up on the windlass - slick. OF course this meant making a new windlass, but what the hell, that's modelling and I think the new windlass is an improvement anyway.

IMG_7085_zps7755879e.jpg

Then there was the winch. No chance of finding a couple of nice gear wheels  for it so it's two black painted disks, best I can do  - for now.

IMG_7086_zps06c9d073.jpg

The pulleys on the ends of the shafts were turned, a bit inexpertly, on the Proxxon Mini Wood Lathe I forked out for as being Utterly Vital, honest darling!

When I bought it I also got a drill chuck designed to replace the tail stock. Really useful when doing this kind of stuff.

IMG_7075_zps89bdecab.jpg

I've also been adding things like cleats and Keevils, or Cavills.

IMG_7087_zps0da690b9.jpg

I'm now getting close to the point wheni 'll have to bite the bullet and work out how to do a 1 /96th figure head of a Scottish Maid....Victorian, probably fairly modest as figure heads go...or maybe not. Have to see what I can do...

Very nicely done.   She's looking sweet.    As for a figurehead, I'm not sure there would have been one especially on a merchant vessel.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Good point John...I'm probably being lazy :) Better get on it!    Mark: From  what I've seen figure heads were in fact quite common on merchant ships in the 19th c. Scottish Maid certainly had one - I found a contemporary painting of her. So no escape, it seems :( but hey. It'll be a challenge....

• 4 weeks later...

It goes with the territory that sometimes you look at a part you just made and know it could be better...happens a lot actually, but hey you learn, eh? Here's the binnacle. Not sure if it'll do...bit like a starved Dalek...

binnacle_zps56820097.jpg

I've also made a pair of 'elm tree pumps' haven't shot them yet. One thing you need a lot of on a ship is ringbolts. At this scale they're pretty small. So this is one way of making them. I've started working on the masts and the bowsprit/jib boom, lots of bits, lots of ringbolts.

ringbolt_zps099d02f0.jpg

Here's the mast top for the foremast.

fore-top_zps0eae0670.jpg

Came out pretty much as I'd hoped. The 'slats' are CA reinforced watercolour paper . easier to cut tiny strips from than wood! When you build a ship model, kit or whatever, I was advised to take it stage by stage,because if you think about all the bits involved in the whole ship you'll probably start drooling from the ears... I was building a model of a Main mast... Start with a 5mm sq. (approx.) length of wood (Degame here)and get it to the basic shape with a very small plane... Then I added the mast cheeks - they support the mast top, and started cutting rebates in the trestle trees. Where I can I like to reinforce glue joins with .5mm bamboo treenails. With plastic the cement welds your joins. Seccotine is a traditional hide glue, incredibly strong but it's a glue join. OK move on a bit and the Main Top Mast has been made and a mast cap, tricksy little so and so, that, have been made, cross trees and even a supporting fid for the topmast - that's the little sliver of wood you can see sticking out the side of the top mast at the bottom.

IMG_7121_zpsddeb314d.jpg

There are two ways that I know of to make mast hoops one is to wrap brown paper tape around a bit of dowelling making sure not to glue the tape to the dowel! Then you roll a knife over it to cut slices. Didn't work for me. I fell back on a ring making technique I learned in a jewellery class in High school a very long time ago. Flatten brass or copper wire with a hammer - gently - wind around a suitable drill, cut into rings, making sure you file the ends square (easier than it sounds) then solder with either silver solder or a paste solder. The silver solder I have came from Cup Alloys in a syringe which allows you to place minute amounts accurately 

IMG_7125_zps91a33362.jpg

IMG_7126_zps0ba43281.jpg

Think I mentioned a sea-base. I recently got sent from the UK a 30cm wide plank of Lime. Can't get it here, despite lime trees being popular on town streets. Being a through cut, the plank was a bit cupped to I sawed it into 4 and then swapped the bits around and now have a reasonably flat plank to carve into a sea. On small models I'd use milliput or watercolour paper or whatever, but this has to be a bit bigger and would cost a packet it milliput. Come to think of it, the plank plus postage wasn't cheap either! I have carved a sea once before, for a friend who was doing a model for a boat building company. Like an idiot I used Cherry...talk about hard work. Looked good in the end though as it was decided to leave it natural (show-off!) and just varnish it. This one will be painted, it's something I enjoy.

and here she is having a trial fit into the base. I carved the hull to a waterline below the 'actual' load water line so that she will sit down into the sea. Gonna be a lot of wood chips around...

on-base_zpscc0d6637.jpg

Guillemot, I allways like to come to your postings here...

She is such a beautyf!!! I'm still dealing in my mind with Diligente from the Chapelle plans...

Baltimore Clipper are so wounderfull ships... :o Lines like a women... ;)

Thanks for showing!

Christian

post-5310-0-90921700-1382170035_thumb.jpg

post-5310-0-14470300-1382170077_thumb.png

post-5310-0-64257000-1382170113_thumb.png

Seneca

Building:

Reconstruction:

Rainy day, I thought some indoor tasks would be just the thing, so I've started carving the sea base. I have some new Flexcut chisels on order but they'll be another few days so I had a shot at resharpening the two old gouges I have. Gouges are a total sod to sharpen but I got them to a reasonably servicable state. This is the result so far, lots more wood to be removed. I'm considering training a beaver...waves_zps5973bf1f.jpg

The hole for the model is oversize to allow setting it in at an angle and the spare space around the edge will be filled in with milliput - white.

Christian, Good luck with Diligent, she really had an extreme hull form! Scottish Maid, of course comes from a rather different tradition, and really isn't related at all to the Baltimore ships. Of the Baltimore Clippers, I have a 'Fair Rosamund' under construction and the one I'd really like to do would be 'Grecian'.

Yes, Grecian is a great opportunity to show a "diagonal keel" ;)  - feel free to catch this chance to built a beaty - but avoid a WLmodel :D ...

Schootish Maid I found in Mac Gregor's "Search for Speed" - your source, too?

A great sea you did!!!

Seneca

Building:

Reconstruction:

• 2 weeks later...

Was about to paint up a sample bit of carved sea and discovered that some total idiot of a mouse had decided that cobalt blue would be tasty....It will have cost him his life and me a good few Euros to replace!

scotmaid_5_zps5468a5e7.jpg

Anyway, I've rigged the steering -

IMG_7175_zps8c866392.jpg

And started rigging with the bobstay - My figurehead is a bit big for her bra and is interfering, or being intered with by, the bobstay. She's about as small as I could possibly sculpt, so I'll probably have to live with the conflict...

guy_zps35354896.jpg

Since rigging involves a lot of tiny fittings and I spent some time on the lathe knocking out bullseyes for the jib-boom stays etc. Exactly what I do when it comes to any minute deadeyes I might need, I don't know what I'll do, because, while I can turn bits of Degame down to 1.5mm, I can't drill three holes in them to make deadeyes...Have to think about this.

bullseyes_zpsdc10f16b.jpg

Stupid mouse - I think ultramarine is much tastier than cobalt! :D

Your thimbles on the bobstay look a little over-scale in the photo.  At 1:96 you could try rigging to a splice with out the thimble and it would probably look fine - might be worth an experiment, anyway.

John

Stupid mouse - I think ultramarine is much tastier than cobalt! :D

Your thimbles on the bobstay look a little over-scale in the photo.  At 1:96 you could try rigging to a splice with out the thimble and it would probably look fine - might be worth an experiment, anyway.

John

Damn! You noticed! Yes, the  ones I've just been doing are smaller...I may have to re-do the bob stay....curses!  Maybe the mouse is a heavy metal fan....

Haven't had a lot of time to work on the ship as this time of year there's all that crap like firewood to be thinking of etc. etc. However...

I've been seeing how small I can turn bullseyes - this one is about 1.5mm. Don't think much smaller is practical. They have a habit of flying off into the ulu... Worth it though as they do look better on the model...

bullseye_zpsad4fda9b.jpg

So here's the bowsprit and jb-boom with their standing rigging. Nice to be finally getting on with what makes a sailing ship interesting.  Lot of eyestrain to come!

bowsprit_-rigging_zps2e5a324c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

1/96 - what a miniscule work you do - that's great to "sea" ;) . Thanks a lot for sharing this impressions.

Edited by Small Stuff

My carpetmonster adapted to laminate flooring!

GK - Modellbau No. 2002 a little boat 680 after E.Paris  - PoF 1/50

AL 18021 Scottish Maid the 1st Aberdeen Clipper 1839 - PoB 1/76 (?) 

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

That is some very fine small work, The final results will be worth all the effort though as you say.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Now that is one fine looking ship.  Thanks for the overall shot.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thank you for the kind comments!  Yesterday, I discovered that I was busily rigging the mainmast incorrectly...typical! I stumbled across a scratch-built Scottish Maid someone had done a while back, plank on frame. He must have had a much clearer copy of MacGregor's sail plan than appears in the books! However, if the contemorary painting I found of SM is anything to go by, even he's not completely right... Anyway here's where I was at last night, crosstrees and futtock shrouds, ready to put up the topmast shrouds....until.

IMG_7215_zps0480da12.jpg

So today I ripped it to bits and re-did it and repaired the damage (ahem). So now it looks like this.

IMG_7216_zpsdbde42c8.jpg

More like a Yacht rig... I thought it looked pretty unusual and then I looked at an engraving of 'Wild Daryl, an Opium Clipper by Whites of Cowes. Same rig...whew. Anyway I'm happy (enough)  with it.

Your Scottish Maid is really looking wonderful.

And I really like the sea you've carved.  I remember seeing a picture of a similar base in a ship modeling book I read back in high school, many, many years ago.  Even at that age, I was struck by how it brought the model to life.  I wish I knew the name of that book -- I'd checked it out from the library -- because I'd love to read it again and figure out how the model builder had done it.  He'd placed his model in a calm sea, anchored.  He'd carved ripples around the anchor chain which I thought was a very nice touch.

Dan