Scottish Maid by JesseLee - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:50

When I looked at that I wondered the same thing. It looked backwards to me. Did they do this wrong too? I'm not above changing it to make it right.

I've checked out others model of Scottish Maid & theirs is this way too. I'm a little confused.

Edited by JesseLee

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

The wheel is almost always forward of the steering gear in a sailing vessel. The helmsman (or helmsmen in rough enough weather) would stand to the side. You get better leverage to turn the wheel if you're next to the wheel rather than standing in front of it and reaching out to the perimeter of the wheel. Think about it and it will make perfect sense once you do. You've done it right, don't worry.

Ok, thanks. I did see one model with a figure standing to the side of the wheel. Never sailed so don't know all these things! I love how I can learn from others here on MSW. So much better than back in the days before home computers & I was doing this all on my own with no one else to talk to & learn from.

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Here is the complete instructions for the deadeyes & chain plates. Want feedback on this. Looks a little odd to me. Thinking of using wire instead of thread. The brass plates look like clipped pieces just glued on right next to the nail above it that the thread is tied to. ( I plan on shaping the plates better & having a nail through top & bottom like it should be ). My main question is they show are leaning up onto the rubbing strake. Is this right? Also the smaller deadeye is shown on a wire that goes down to no plate. Is this right?

post-6826-0-50789600-1398342300_thumb.jpg

Think I've got something figured out. Will have to have some practice trail runs to see if I can pull it off or not.

Hi JesseLee,

I can't be any help with your question about the deadeyes and chain plates sorry, but I can say I have seen some logs where they were made out of wire instead of thread and they sure turned out great.

Whatever you decide, I am pretty sure with your skills it will come out great!  Good Luck!

I'm waiting to see how you solve this one, Jesse. I'm far from being at this stage on my build, but I'll catalog what I learn from your log.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

I'd go for solid straps Jesse. Do them in wire. But that is because I don't like chains...I think they look like a cheap and quick solution. Solid straps are, I think, more correct for the era and give a more solid appearance to the assembly. I'm happy to be re-butted on this suggestion!

Edited by aliluke

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

I'd go for solid straps Jesse. Do them in wire. But that is because I don't like chains...I think they look like a cheap and quick solution. Solid straps are, I think, more correct for the era and give a more solid appearance to the assembly. I'm happy to be re-butted on this suggestion!

I agree.

My main question is does the bottom plate sit above the rubbing strip? The pic above shows the top of the plate on the rubbing strip & the bottom of the plate leaned down at an angle to the hull with space between them. I though this plate was always flat against the side. If so it would have to stop above the rubbing strip. I guess it could pass below it but that would defeat the purpose of the rubbing strip as kind of bumper. I wouldn't think you would have important rigging across an area that could be rubbed against.

This drawing shows them going below so I guess that's what I'll do

post-6826-0-04845300-1398781431.jpg

So does the model made by her first captain. I guess this finally answers my question. Now to get to work on them.......

post-6826-0-29625900-1398781828.gif

Thanks Matti, it doesn't compare at all to your building skills!

Drilled holes in pin racks. Glued them on along with channels.

post-6826-0-65318400-1398908566_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-79826300-1398908579_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-21906800-1398908594_thumb.jpg

After deciding I would attach the chain plates below the rubbing strake I realized they were too thick & stuck out too far. The chain plate assembly wouldn't clear them without having to bend around them. I filed & sanded them down to half the thickness they were. Now the chain plate assembly will pass over them without having to bend around them.

post-6826-0-28351700-1398909170_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-44612600-1398909185_thumb.jpg

Began making deadeye strops & chain plate parts out of wire & brass plates.

post-6826-0-12931400-1398909362_thumb.jpg

I don't have soldering supplies so I wasn't sure how I was going to go about doing the chain plate assembly. Saw in Keith's log about a log of Ferit KUTLU's Berlin build. I looked it up & liked his ideas on how to do this without soldering. The pics below are from his log that I will use to make mine.

post-6826-0-46689800-1398970733.png

post-6826-0-43995900-1398970743.png

post-6826-0-55995500-1398970751.jpg

The only thing I'm doing different is the first piece around the deadeye I am making shorter & adding an extra link in the assembly. I formed the first wire around the deadeye. After I'm sure it is shaped as best as I can get it I take the deadeye back out, apply CA glue, put it back together & crimp it with pliers to dry tight. I glue the junction point with CA glue & seize the area with some thin black thread. I glue the thread, touch up with some black paint. This actually holds very well & does not pull apart. After I finish this first step I will begin to put the other links together.

post-6826-0-06944800-1398971863_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-79765500-1398971879_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-58116700-1398971892_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-92731000-1398971908_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-60877400-1398971923_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-73970600-1398971937_thumb.jpg

Don't you just love those fiddly bits. :D

I'm holding that method in reserve in case my "I" shaped chains don't pan out.

Isn't it amazing how the chain of ideas flow around this place. That why having a log is so important. It gives you the feedback and inspiration by feeding you with new ideas and having seen them done successfully It helps drive one on to more then might otherwise be achieved.

Also it sounds like you may be feeling a bit better as when I'm hurtin' The fiddly bits are too much, although they sometime help take your self  somewhere else and forget. Either way, to a nice beginning on the chains, Jesse and to the better times.  :cheers:

Yes, I'm a little better since yesterday. 

The little stuff is very difficult but I like the challenge (most of the time).

That's why I love MSW so much. I wish I'd had this years ago. I love learning & sharing ideas with other builders. I was dragged kicking & screaming into this modern age of personal computers & such. I'm glad I gave in now. It's great to be able to interact with others around the country & the world compared to trying to figure it out myself with only the help of a book or two.

Jesse...... really nice work on the strop dead-eye assemblies, You must have a lot of patience , that would frustrate me :P

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Frank, it does frustrate me. Between nerve damage from Lyme & carpal tunnel it is very difficult & slow. Good thing the log doesn't show me having my Tasmanian devil fits!

Great work on the dead eyes and chains Jesse. These things are amongst the hardest in my opinion but your method looks really sound and looks great as well.

I send to you an expression we have here - Kia kaha (it means - stay strong - and is pronounced key-ah car-ha).

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks Alistair !

Got most of the assembly done today. The bottom flat plates are too long so tomorrow I will be cutting them shorter & re-drilling the bottom holes.

Edited by JesseLee

After much delay I got the chain plate assembly finished. Had to cut all the brass plates shorter. Didn't have blackening solutions. Tried all the DIY methods I found on the internet but none of them worked. Painted them black then over that I painted them with black antique polish (paint), which made it look more realistic than just the paint. My camera doesn't zoom in close enough to show the close detail. Now need to start adding them to the ship.

post-6826-0-83786300-1399392561_thumb.jpg

Excellent bit of work with the fiddly bits, Jesse.

They look marvelous, I'm glad that method worked for you .

You mention blackening and using paint but personally I haven't been overly impressed with blacken-it. I've questioned if the gun bluing stuff would work better, I've seen other on MSW use it.  Your paint looks fine though. Sometimes it's as much fun making it work with what you've got though. 

Oh, to have access to my HS lab chemical storage room once again though....