HMS Victory by Glenn-UK - Caldercraft - 1/72

Nice work, Glenn.  Looks like you're in the main stream now and heading for a terrific finish.  From what I can see from your photos, your work is top notch and you definitely will end up with a beautiful Victory.  I like the sharpness of your gun ports whcih will make it easy when you continue your linings.  Good luck and keepe the pics coming.  Regards,

Jerry

Hello Glenn

Well this is looking really good. And moving along at some pace. You can see just how large this thing is going to be when you see it on the desk. I have the case size worked out at around about 60" x 40" x 24" . Were is mine going to go??????..... Not a clue. Maybe a small greenhouse. Keep enjoying your self..DAVID

Someone asked what building HMS Victory was like and I replied with "It is a series of highly repetitive building tasks; just as you get the hang of a task in hand it's completed and its time to move on to the next repetitive task."                                                                                                                                                                                                           I am still at the planking stage and was just thinking to-day i must keep a record of usefull hints and tips cause it will probably be a couple of years before im planking again and ill have forgotten all im learning by then, same applies to rigging etc it can be years between builds and you keep saying i must remember that method for the next time,but never do . Maybe im just getting old .                                                                                                                                                                                                    your build is looking great Glenn and as David said with the number of Victory builds going on someone should come up with a system of building large and cheap display cases  Have Fun 

Went to fit the Wales last night, discovered, after going through all the wood strips in the box, that I didn’t have any 4mm by 0.5mm walnut strips for the top of the lower wale, order has now been placed with CMB as this is not stocked  by my local hobby shop.

Checking all the other strips, I only had enough 3.5mm x 1mm strips, not stocked by CMB

After checking all the wood strips I decided to start work on the gratings and will continue on with these tonight and will post some picture as the progress progresses.

Also ordered some material to add the waterways, stringers etc. to the inner bulwarks

I may also make a start on the companionways to check it’s fit with opening on the upper gun deck.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Material arrived today from CMB today so I was able to start work on the Wales.

Completed the lower port side tonight, expect to complete fitting the remaining port and starboard wales over the next day or two.

Here are some repetitive picture of the lower wale.

post-7550-0-79496200-1397763989_thumb.jpg

Fitting the Wales did pose a question regarding the gun port with lids linings which have to be set back 1mm. Is this 1mm back from 2nd planking level or from the wale level; some gun ports will be stepped as only part of some of them have wales.

post-7550-0-34864000-1397764004_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-61753100-1397764018_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-98815200-1397764032_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-42799700-1397764047_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-74956700-1397764062_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

All the Wales are now fitted.

Have checked all gun ports have been cleared of excess planking and wale material.

Spent 2 hours this afternoon sitting in the sun sanding the hull and filling all the obvious gaps; I was pleasantly surprised as there are not that many.

Have now applied a primer coat to the port side and it will require a second coat when dry. It has shown a couple of small bits which need some filler. Will continue on adding the primer on Monday as tomorrow we have the grandkids.

Will post some pictures with next post.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Am curious. is it 1mm back from the 2nd planking or the wale level?

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hi Glen,

No thanks necessary. I cannot thank you enough for positing this great log.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Hello Lawerence

Many thanks for you visit to my log and kind words.

Certainly adding the primer has highlighted the areas to be filled and filled. Spent another 3 hours this morning sitting in the sun sanding and filling and just added a second coat of primer to the starboard side, will do the same to port side once the primer has dried and I can turn the boat around.

Glenn (UK)

Day off work today, so I have spent a bit of time working on the ship.

First task was to mark the water line and I added a 1mm2 styrene strip.

I then added the first coat of yellow ocra prior. Will let dry and then I will give it a light sand before applying a second coat.

Took a couple of goes to get the position of water line under the stern, as can be seen by the following photo.

post-7550-0-82761200-1398162128_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-47354800-1398162138_thumb.jpg

Painting

post-7550-0-77453200-1398162149_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-41513300-1398162160_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-26931800-1398162171_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-23500800-1398162182_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

More pictures of the yellow painting which is now complete. Once it has fully dried I can start to add more gun port linings. Planning to paint the linings red red prior to installation, and will coat rear side with some ca glue to prevent splitting when trimming.

I like this picture, I'm going to try the micro-glaze on the gallery windows once the paint is fully dry

post-7550-0-68311500-1398182200_thumb.jpg

More pictures

post-7550-0-78557700-1398182211_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-51441300-1398182221_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-29572500-1398182228_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn..

I've been so busy with my own Victory that I have neglected many of my on line friends.  I just wanted to tell you that now that I have had a chance to look at your site i'm very happy for you and the terrific progress you are making.  It won't be long and you'll be coppering the bottom of your hull.  I'm sure you are pleased with the neat work you're doing.  I'm on the last phase of the standing rigging which i hope to complete by the end of the week.  Specifically, I'm doing the "horses" which require overhand knots every 8mm.  It's a lot of fun and I never thought I'd get this far and the way you are moving, you won't be there too long from now.  keep up the beautiful work and you will own a trophy.  Best regards,

Jerry

Hello Jerry

Many thanks for taking the time to visit my log. You have made swift and fabulous progress with your standing rigging. You have made it look easy which I know is not the case.

I plan to start the linings tomorrow night, and expect this will take up to 4 weeks to complete. I need to add some additional seats as some of the ones I fitted prior to installation on the gun port strips are now AWOL.

Then it time for the copper tiling phase, 6 to 8 weeks work at least I would expect.

Glenn (UK)

Hi Glenn,

You've made fantastic progress and she really looks great.  The joy of coppering is fast approaching! One suggestion regarding glazing the stern gallery windows...The openings for those windows at present are very large and it will be very difficult to get the Micro Glaze to "seal" across such large areas.  I plan to use Micro Glaze on the individual brass etched window frames prior to installing them.  I think you will find it much easier to get the glaze to set doing it that way.

Keep up the great work!

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Many thanks for your kind comments.

I had already decided to wait until fitting the brass frames stage before applying the micro glaze. It worked very well on my test piece which was bigger than the gallery window frames.

I'll have a few weeks before the copper tile phase (I can hardly wait!) whilst I install the gun port linings.

Glenn (UK)

Fitted beam shelf, stringer and waterway to inner bulwarks and then added first coat of paint.

I have now realised the waterway is a tad to big; I'll decide tomorrow if I will remove so I can fit a smaller quarter round strip. I more inclined to leave as is as most of it will be covered up when the quarter deck is installed.

post-7550-0-14283600-1398368436_thumb.jpg

With the following picture the paint is still very wet and uneven looking and shows all the imperfections. It will look much better once the paint has dried and the bulwarks have had a light sand and a second coat of paint.

post-7550-0-86947700-1398368446_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Bulwarks look better following light sand and second coat of paint.

Ready to start moving forward with adding more gun port linings and I will paint the black lines as this task progresses. Will use a suitable low adhesive masking tape (Tamiya or similar).

post-7550-0-32521000-1398458862_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the beam shelf (above gun port), stringer and waterway (below gun port)

post-7550-0-64076400-1398458874_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-31694000-1398458884_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Not been able to spend much time on the ship today, made a simple tool to check gun port linings are set back 1mm. Seems to be taking about 30 minutes per gun port to fit the linings and additional balsa seats, which I'm fitting with another homemade tool, a bent bit of copper wire which is inserted in the basla seat which can be removed once the super glue has dried leaving the seat in position. I painted the 6mm strip before the installation.

I attached a 1mm styrene strip to a wooden handle to check position of lining. The yellow paint is not shown very well as no flash used.

post-7550-0-37356300-1398528988_thumb.jpg

Using the super phatic glue allows time to adjust the position of the lining until I'm happy.

post-7550-0-81650300-1398528997_thumb.jpg

First three lining complete; the close up picture makes it look worse than it really looks, will need to remove dust from within the gun port.

post-7550-0-38159300-1398529010_thumb.jpg

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Installed all missing seats on starboard side lowest gun ports. This means I'm now moving forward on fitting the gun port linings at a reasonable pace, takes about 15 minutes per gun port to cut and glue the linings. I have now completed lining 9 gun ports on the starboard side.

I have been checking gun port openings are wide enough for the gun port lids as I progress, that's for the advice David.

I was really not looking forward to this task but now I'm quite enjoying it as the two hand made tools have really helped.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello David and Lawrence

Many thanks for taking the time to visit my log.

I have done a bit of dust removal using a brush as I don't have the luxury of an air line.

The 6mm strip is painted red prior to trimming and I have found the cutting tool supplied with the plank bender makes short work on cutting the linings

It will soon be time for another session on the ship build.

Glenn (UK)

Not spent much time on the build over the last couple of days; being a bank holiday weekend in the UK.

I did complete the port side 6mm lining of the lower and middle gun ports on Saturday morning.

I was not very happy with the finish of the yellow paint, even a light sand and second coat of paint did not appease me. The paint was showing too many imperfections so I took the decision to sand out as necessary. I'm sure it will be look much better when I start to apply the paint again.

I also was not happy with the way the starboard waterline looked so I removed the styrene strip and redraw the line and fitted a new strip. It now looks much better.

post-7550-0-96261200-1399217698_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-56935000-1399217711_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-40600200-1399217722_thumb.jpg

post-7550-0-56940600-1399217734_thumb.jpg

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.  it's so nice to watch your log and to see the great strides you have made.  I'm a bit jealous of your style as I didn't add some of the touches that you did.  For example..no waterway or beam shelf just plain painted bulwarks.  But at the stage I'm in I'm happy anyway.  You are doing a beautiful job and the reporting in your log,  I'm sure is being very helpful to others.  I'll keep looking as it is great to see another Victory in the MSW fleet coming along so nicely.  Have a great day,

Jerry