My next ship

Don Quixote

Hello and thanks for taking the time to read my post! I just completed my first build, the wife got me the U.S.S Constitution from Constructo. I found the directions and plans to be solid, and for my first build I think I did a fair job and I certainly learned a lot. She just got me the Harriet Lane from Model Shipways and I found the instructions to be terrible and – I have to buy the stand separately!

I'm comfortable doing another of the same difficulty and size as the Constitution and I'm looking for a recommendation not only for a manufacturer (instructions and plans) but a model as well. I like the looks of a galleon, but as long as it has a fair amount of cannons I could get happy.

Brian

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

Welcome aboard Brian,

You might have a look in our Articles/Download section for information about kits.

Model ship kits - What to expect http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/ModelShipKitsexpect.pdf

Kit selection: http://modelshipworldforum.com/resources/plans_and_research/KitSelection.pdf

Caldercraft/Jotika has good instructions.

Or have a look at Model Expo's US Brig Syren. Kit instructions can be downloaded from Model Expo:

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2260

And after you have made your choice, the best thing to do is start a build log.

You'll find plenty of help, advise and encouragement from everyone.

Enjoy your stay here.

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

I like the looks of that ship, but I thought all modelexpo sold was model shipways. The Harriet Lane my wife got me comes with a whopping 14 page instruction booklet. What's more, the stand is sold separately!

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

I love the cut-outs! I'm going to make that my 4th build. I think I'm going to go with Anja's suggestion for my next, it fits my current display case perfectly.

Question: My first ship, the U.S.S. Constitution from Constructo seemed to me to have excellent instructions and plans. Maybe I need directions that specific, but like I've said, I'm not impressed with the Harriet Lane by Model Shipways. The instructions I see with the model you propose seem solid, but I don't see that it comes with plans. Probably didn't read well enough?

I read that European models are better over-all. Is that an opinion you hold to be true? I'm impressed with what I see of your builds and respect your opinion. I'm not afraid to spend some money on this hobby, but I'm not interested in wasting it:/

In Dry Dock:

European models better over-all???? Er.... some are, some aren't.  Depends on your definition of "better".  There some who's kits are pure works of fiction.  Some with crappy wood, some with crappy instructions, and some with crappy castings.   Depends on the kit and manufacturer.

What I suggest is find the ship that interests you.  Then compare the manufacturer's offerings.  Also, take into consideration what's important:  quality of wood, fittings, etc.?  Instructions?  Plans?  Amount of scratchbuilding required?

In short, every kit will have it's issues and what suits your needs will not necessarily be what someone else's are.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

It's a silly comparison. There is what ~3 US manufacturers and well over 10 European ones (mamoli, core, amati/victory, mantua/sergal/panart, caldecraft, artesania latina, occre, constructo, billings, euromodel, Krick). European manufacturers have more interesting flag ship kits (Wappen for Corel, Royal Louis from Mamoli, Santa Ana by Artesania Latina, Montanes by Occre, HMS Victory by Caldecraft, HMS Prince by Constructo, HMS Warrior by Billings, SotS/Soleil Royal by Sergal, San Felipe by Panart, HMS Vanguard by Amati/Victory etc)

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Being brand new to the hobby, I guess I wasn't aware of those statistics. Thanks for making me feel "silly". I was going to post another "silly" question but...

In Dry Dock:

Being brand new to the hobby, I guess I wasn't aware of those statistics. Thanks for making me feel "silly". I was going to post another "silly" question but...

Ask away, by all means.  There is NO SUCH THING as a SILLY or STUPID QUESTION!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

See painting pattern first. The deck house image is from the cover picture on the box.

The instructions say that since the house is already white, to white glue the patters on, then cover them with a flat clear coat, then paint in the windows between the lines. The lines in the tiny windows are already black so the windows would be larger black windows. I can see painting them a light blue, but I cannot for the life of me see how to paint tiny white lines where the black lines are now. The only thing I can come up with would be to paint each set of 6 windows in completely, then find a sharp white artist pencil (of some sort) and use a ruler to replace the lines again. Gads I hope that made sense. 

Question one: Any idea what to use for that pencil?

Question two: A better way altogether?

post-10291-0-33512500-1390175381_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-32053500-1390175394_thumb.jpg

post-10291-0-96941200-1390179365_thumb.jpg

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

If you cover the plans (after getting them glued down and allowing the glue to cure), do what it says:  flat coat them.  You can then paint over the lines without any color bleeding through.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: