HMS Victory by Keith B - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:75

Coffee machine and T.V. now installed in the workshop,so it's back to the Victory at last!

I'm planking at the moment,which is really tedious,so while I wait for things to dry I've been doing other little jobs as seen in the photo's.

To bend the planks I've just been soaking the end,about 4 inches,and then crimping the plank with a bender I got off e-bay for about £5.Seems to work this way,although I must say that the planks supplied with this kit aren't exactly of the best quality.

post-4031-0-14582000-1394281433_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-88590500-1394281437_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-09610500-1394281442_thumb.jpg

your moving on at speed of knots ,ill never catch you now .you must be working double shifts .   its starting to take shape nicely and yes the wood supplied is nearly as bad as the instructions but you seem to be doing a great job ,dont forget to paint the fiddley bits before fitting and keep the pics coming.have fun !! 

Hi Shihawk,

I spend about 4 to 5 hours a day on it,but being happily retired now it keeps me occupied! I do have a few coffee breaks though,and do small jobs adding things to the workshop.

You're right about the instructions.Why the hell they couldn't have numbered the parts instead of only doing it on the instruction sheets is beyond me.I've nearly worn the booklet out by thumbing through it trying to find out what sheet a certain part is on!

I've come to the conclusion that the wood supplied with this kit for planking the hull is absolutely rubbish,and when it's finished will have to be sanded to within an inch of it's life! I have therefore decided to add a top layer of veneer to get a half decent look to this ship.It will mean extra work and expense,but I think it will be worth doing.

hi Keith ,I came to the same conclusion and have ordered 0.5 cherry to finish the hull although i dont intend coppering or painting but thought if you were you might get away with the wood provided ,plenty of fillers and sanding ??? Your pics of the decking look great .

Hi Shihawk,

I'm only going to paint certain bits so they stand out,like the gun trolleys etc.I made a smaller version of Victory,and left it all wood,and it does look good. Like you,I'm not trying to make an authentically correct model,just one that (hopefully) will look nice! I will be coppering the hull though,as it's something I didn't do on the previous one.

Cheers for now,

Keith.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith  i suppose your ready to start rigging by now ??  I have another small query ,this time about the hole left when the grating frame is fitted to the lower deck .I see from your log you planked the part with no gratings on it and wondered if you got this from the plans as i could see no mention of it . In the cc builds there seem to be ladders here down to lower deck but then we dont have a lower deck . Am considering cutting out the ply and fitting ladders but just wondered if i had missed any other solutions on the plans ?. Did you decide what wood to finish the hull with yet ?                                                                                        Boyd.

Hello Keith

It's coming fine, and no the instructions don't look very good at all, but I am sure you won't have a great deal of problems and there's always help at hand. Did you not think of fitting the stairway next to the grills, it should be easy and you have time to do it. Keep enjoying it. DAVID

nice work so far. at about the same stage with my billings victory. i used strips of self adhesive label (franking labels in this case) for the window frames and sandwhiched the acetate between the carcase and decorative external panels. wish i had bought the jokita one now!!!

Hi mate,

Don't worry,no offence taken! I've done one of the stairways,will do the other one when I get bored with other jobs!

I've just painted the gunports,not cut them out.I don't think I've got your patience!

Coppering is straight forward so far,but I haven't got to the bendy bits yet.

Cheers,

Keith.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,after nearly 2 weeks the coppering's done,except the rudder.About 1700 plates.I ordered 2000,so I've got some left towards the next project! I must say that it gets a bit tedious,but I think the end result is so much better than just painting it,as the kit instructions expect.

post-4031-0-26746800-1397906719_thumb.jpg