HMS Victory by Keith B - FINISHED - Billing Boats - Scale 1:75

Well,the big box arrived yesterday,and,although I'm not supposed to start this model before I've got my new workshop,I just couldn't resist making a start!

This kit may not be the best as far as some people are concerned,but a 1:75 scale Victory for £260 is worth a try!

Instructions are a bit vague,but you just have to sit down and study the pictures for a while.

The wooden parts all seem to be very good quality,and fit together nicely so far.

After the first day I had the main bulkheads in place,and also the lower deck,which I am planking today.

First 2 pictures are a bit blurred,as I've just realised I still had my camera set up for taking photo's of the moon through my telescope,but it's all sorted now!

I haven't got a building slip,but have purchased a keel clamp which is already proving to be very helpful in turning the ship round easily.

More pics to follow as I progress,and I would welcome any input from anyone who has built this model.

post-4031-0-39705300-1391773496_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-08931600-1391773514_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-17680400-1391773530_thumb.jpg

At this rate of progress you will have caught up with me by next weekend

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Kevin,

Just had a look at your build,(I'm green with envy!) If mine turns out to be half as good as that I'll be well pleased!

Cheers,

Keith.

thank you - but have you seen Gils - http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/485-hms-victory-by-gil-middleton-jotika-172/?hl=%2Bgil+%2Bmiddleton

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Day 3,and things seem to be going well at the moment. Only got another week before my new workshop arrives,so the ship building will come to a halt for a couple of weeks while I get it all kitted out.

Here's a couple more photo's.

I'm using a natural oak stain for the window frames,with a dark oak on the backing to set them off a bit. Will also use natural oak colour on the decking.Just got to cut a few holes in it then sand it down ready for staining.

Already got the next project- a Billings Cutty Sark that has had the hull partially built,then the chap got fed up with it,so I bought it off him for a quarter of the price of a new one,with fitting kit as well!

post-4031-0-47239900-1391868381_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-27115800-1391868395_thumb.jpg

I'm sure you'll enjoy the many hours she'll provide. Could you elaborate on the nature of the fittings supplied by the Billings brand...thanks a bunch.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Hi Keith

I am following along in the background.I know you log title says 'another'but to my knowledge(someone may correct me here)this is the only Billings version being built on this forum.I very,very nearly purchased this kit when Modelzone was closing down,but in the end decided they hadn't knocked enough off the price when comparing what I could get it for from other suppliers.I wish you all the best with your build and look forward to seeing how Billings have tackled the details on their kit.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Rear deck in place ready for planking.

First of the side pieces in position.There are a couple of locating pegs on 2 of the bulkheads for this,so it is crucial that the bulkheads are built perfectly square,or this panel won't fit. I've marked the locating pegs.

post-4031-0-76214800-1391956632_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-00328900-1391956644_thumb.jpg

Here's a few photo's of some fittings.I'm not going to take them out of their bags yet,as I'll probably end up losing some of them! The figurehead is a particularly nice,heavy,well detailed casting.

Guns,and all other metal parts seem to be very good quality as well. All the deadeyes and blocks are wood,not plastic.

The gun trolleys,although plastic,are very sturdy and well detailed.I think they will look good when painted.

post-4031-0-53864900-1392041775_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-56402700-1392041791_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-19262900-1392042056_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-72258500-1392042068_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-48797800-1392042084_thumb.jpg

The front columns in this kit are plywood,and after many attempts to bend it round the formers,I've decided that it's easier if I make them out of some planking instead.A bit more filling and sanding should do the trick.

So far,this is the first bit of this kit that I've had to alter,but I'm sure it won't be the last!

post-4031-0-84161600-1392302374_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-43518000-1392302387_thumb.jpg

Hello Keith

Looks like things are coming on fine, and I reckon you are correct about altering things as you have done with the roundhouses. Do Billing Supply the copper plates for this kit.???? Keep up the good work Keith And enjoy it. DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hi David,

Yes,I'm really enjoying it so far,even if the instructions are barely understandable! Still,half the fun is working things out.

Unfortunately,Billings don't supply the copper plates. I wasn't really expecting to find them in the box seeing as this kit is priced so reasonably.

Looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of shopping around for them.From what I've seen so far they're quite expensive!

Cheers,

Keith.

Good old Billings don't give you any window framing,and as far as I can see from the "instructions",you're supposed to just draw or paint them on to the acetate.I thought this wouldn't look very good,so I'm making my own by slicing some thin strips off some 1/2mm planking,and putting them in the frames. A bit tedious,but one of those jobs which can be done a bit at a time while you're waiting for something else to dry!

post-4031-0-25349600-1392387099_thumb.jpg

post-4031-0-79668200-1392387114_thumb.jpg

Hello Keith

I am not sure how you are fitting these windows, but it may be an idea to fit them on the rear face of the profile to give a nice effect. It may also be easier than fitting them in, as the strip would just fit on the back of the profile . Also styrene strip would be a good choice for the frames instead of the strip you are splitting. You may already be doing this, but I am not sure. Keep enjoying it. DAVID

Edited by Shipyard sid

Hi Shihawk, I think that will be 3 of us making this kit now.I look forward to your log.

New workshop arrives today,so Victory will be on hold for a couple of weeks while I kit it all out.Mind you,I might be able to squeeze an hour or so in the evenings!

just a suggestion - instead of using acetate, try pva glue watered down or one of the widow making film liquids, it would give it a more realistic appearance

Edited by Kevin

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

• 2 weeks later...

glad to see you back . thats one great workshop and so tidy i hope it lasts :D Im green with envy when i see all those power tools ,something i have been considering myself since i started the same build as you .We will need all the help we can get ,those intructions are pretty lousey.I have been trying to pick up a few hints from the cc builds but apart from some helpfull pictures its an intirely different kit  Have you tried the CC site  some measurements and diagrams of wales etc which arent even mentioned in my instructions  ? I will be following you with interest as my build will be slow due to some alterations im atempting so get back to work AND POST PLENTY OF PICTURES.  Enjoy!!!