Preparing brass parts for Blackening

James,

I use Acetone to clean the metal prior to blackening.  This is easily procured in small quantities as nail polish remover in most stores that cater to such.

In my Druid build I show a couple of pics on the process that I use - pretty straight forward.

Mark

Muriatic acid is a good cleaner for brass, have used it to clean up radiator cores and tanks when re-soldering the tubes, both top and bottom, bought the acid by the quart and used a portable grinder with a wire wheel to remove the old solder, washed it with the acid and then re-soldered without further cleaning or touching. Did that several times on old Caterpillar RD 6 radiators when I was farming, had three of the old darlings, always had one that was running when needed. Late 30's Cats and could buy them at scrap iron prices then, no more, they are collectibles today.

jud..

Edited by jud

Hi Joe. I know it says you can get Muriatic acid in a hardware store, but what is it do you know? Is it a popular acid that alot of hardware stores would have? Cheers for the reply.

I find it by that name at home improvement stores. Commonly used as a concrete cleaner. You can also find it at pool supply stores.

Joe

Joe Zappa

Member, Nautical Research Guild & Puget Sound Ship Modelers

My advice would be to stay away from Muriatic Acid.  If you want to clean brass parts you can use ordinary white vinager.  Once you brush it down just put in in a cup of the stuff and walk away for awhile.  clean it up and rinse.  Whatever you do make sure your hands are squeeky clean.  I know a fellow who wears a non talcum nitrile glove.  Dip it in some acitone and proceed to blacken it.  Cleaniness is the key, but remember safety comes first.

David B

Hi Joe. I know it says you can get Muriatic acid in a hardware store, but what is it do you know? Is it a popular acid that alot of hardware stores would have? Cheers for the reply.

Hi James

Muriatic acid is actually Hydrochloric acid, sold in hardware stores for cleaning cement off brick etc you'll see brickies using it by the bucketful.

Safe with appropriate precautions but if you're not comfortable go with one of the alternatives.

Mark D

Mark D

Thanks all for advice. Where would I get acetone? I hear alot of people talking about it. Tried buying it over the net, but because it's a flammable liquid, they won't ship it. @Kruginmi are u sayin I can use nail varnish remover by itself?

Down under you can get acetone in hardware stores, paint section, 1/2 litre or larger, works out a lot cheaper than nail polish remover if you're going to use the volume.

Mark D

Mark D

Acetone is a common cleaner it can be found at any hardware store or home improvement center. It is usually in the paint section. As for a blackening agent I prefer Birchwood Casey's Brass Black..

David B

• 4 weeks later...

Hola,

Take care of using Muriatic acid because the chlorine in it (HCl) corrodes de bronze and provoques de "Bronze disease" that is difficult to treat. (you can see more of this in Internet).  This does not happen with vinegar that is acetic acid.

Saludos, Karl