Need sharp scissors

A small FISKARS scissor (stainless steel, made in Finland) is excellent for what you're looking for.  My wife uses one in sewing, and I was able to find one online for my own use.

http://www2.fiskars.com/Crafting/Products/Scissors-Snips-and-Sharpeners/Detail-Scissors-No.-4#.UyiayVzxUUs

Frank

I use a brand called Dr. Slick.  They are made for fly tying and are available in sporting good stores like Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse.  They also make small nippers that are excellent for trimming lines around blocks.  Less then $8 each.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Any reccos regarding where to buy or which brands of scissors are best for cutting fine line from the ends of blocks, etc. I always seem to end up with frayed ends.

Go to one of the fabric shops. Those ladies have used and know more about scissors than I can recommend.

I did and love the one I have. Brand?? I don't know, but it works fine on everything I cut.

Then there is the little (expensive) tool my mother-in-law gave me for Christmas. But that is another thread.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Mine are called Dovo, a German make. Got them from an embroidery shop and they were not cheap.

What I like is that they, like me, are left-handed so I actually see what I am cutting. And the cutting edges are micro-serrated, keeping the thread from sliding when you cut.

Per

Hi, a lot of modellers also use nail clippers for this job as the curved and bevelled cutting edges allow a close 'nip'.  If you prefer scissors, then a trip to a nearby sewing supplier might be helpful as they could demo a few pair to you to ensure you get what you need?  I also use a pair of shears (about 2.5 to 3 inches long I got from a sewing machine shop (also should be available from any sewing supplier) which are essentially a mini-version of shears.  these fit the hand well, have a very sharp edge and a very point tip which allows me to get in close.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Have to say nail clippers are the way to go, well for me anyway. But it seems like you have a lot of support on this one. Now to choose.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

nail clippers     mostly because you already have them

Mark

Current build               Dom Fernando II E Gloria  crossection 

Finished boats               Portuguese Caravel     Artenaval

Yacht Mary                 Mamoli

Mayflower                  M.S.

H.M.S. Unicorn           Corel

Whaleboat                 Marine Model Co.

Swift                         A.L.

America (solid hull)      Marine Model Co.

Albatros                     Mantua

U.S.S. Constitution      Revell

Spanish Galleon           Revell