HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Started to spend my week-end time to other sections...

Using 0,5 copper wire have shaped the strops for the top deadeyes as the kit ones are quite shorter than the width of the top....

The day after I plan to chemically black-oxidize them and close the gaps with cyano glue or solder iron technique.

Good night...

Hey There Stergios.. I never thought of using regular copper for that job !! just check that your soldering material will actually 'blacken' when you chemically treat it, some does and some doesn't if I remember correctly.

I'll be doing something similar shortly myself, even ordered a more robust (hopefully) gas fueled soldering iron today  ^_^  as my 'cheap' electrical one broke during silver soldering some HiFi connections .

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hey There Stergios.. I never thought of using regular copper for that job !! just check that your soldering material will actually 'blacken' when you chemically treat it, some does and some doesn't if I remember correctly.

Eamonn

Well, chemical blackening material works fine on copper stropped deadeyes. I don't know why, but i can't treat re-inserting to the chemical a couple of them after the soldering procedure. Perhaps that procedure somehow decreases the blackening purposes of the material? :rolleyes:  

Edited by Stergios

Well chemical blackening material works fine on copper stropped deadeyes. I don't know why, but i can't treat re-inserting to the chemical a couple of them after the soldering procedure. Perhaps that procedure somehow decreases the blackening purposes of the material? :rolleyes:  

solder is different material so needs different chemicals for blackening

sorry, misunderstood you :-)

what the chemical do you use for copper?

No problem.

It's a type of blackening material for guns.

It works most of the time but trying to re-plug the deadeyes for a final blackening touch up after the soldering, the result was negative

Edited by Stergios

I have tried to chemically turn black the second part of the coppered deadeyes (for the other top) the same way, using the same materials, but with no result like the 1st time/part !!!  :o  :o  :o Is it something changed regarding the terms and rules in physics and chemistry between hours?  :rolleyes:

Anyway, I made another part of stropped 3,5 mm deadeyes using regular type of wire, closed the gaps using iron soldering and turned them black (with success this time).  

Pics to follow.

At this time I'd like to ask for your estimation or experience regarding the tension of the upper shrouds...

Do you believe that is needed any alternative bonding material stronger than the cyano glue for the closure of the loop of the stropped deadeyes (except the iron soldering I've applied in advance)?  

post-944-0-41764100-1414769077_thumb.jpg

A small quantity of cyano glues covers the proximal part of the wire loop....

post-944-0-31729600-1414769079_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Serving machine arrived at home.

I plan to see the "attached" cd/dvd before I place my 1st question: what's the most simple thing to serve just for initial experience.....?

any thick by any thin :-)

Stergios, my only advice would be (and you know I'm not an expert) to expect to make mistakes, but know you'll get a great result in the end.  It does require more thought/planning to make sure that you are serving the right length and its a good idea to mock up a piece to get the right dimensions.  Serving takes a little getting used to, but like riding a bike, the technique is easy once you figure it out.  You can only learn by doing (and if you're me, messing up a few times and learning from mistakes)!  Best of luck, look forward to seeing how it works out.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Stergios, my only advice would be (and you know I'm not an expert) to expect to make mistakes, but know you'll get a great result in the end.  It does require more thought/planning to make sure that you are serving the right length and its a good idea to mock up a piece to get the right dimensions.  Serving takes a little getting used to, but like riding a bike, the technique is easy once you figure it out.  You can only learn by doing (and if you're me, messing up a few times and learning from mistakes)!  Best of luck, look forward to seeing how it works out.

Thanks for the support and the kind words Jason.

I surely know that it takes time and many efforts to improve myshelf.

All I want is to know in advance the very basic before start, as for example to know how to secure both ends of the serving line to the main rope...

Cheers.

Stergios

I am newish to serving but have found doing the foremost shrouds on Diana fairly easy to do, I start with just an overhand knot and a dab of super glue and after a few turns say 5mm in length roll it in my fingers, and finish the same way, if you need to stop hang a clip/clamp on the thread and try to keep the thread being served fairly taught, this might not be textbook but it works for me.

Good luck

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Stergios

I am newish to serving but have found doing the foremost shrouds on Diana fairly easy to do, I start with just an overhand knot and a dab of super glue and after a few turns say 5mm in length roll it in my fingers, and finish the same way, if you need to stop hang a clip/clamp on the thread and try to keep the thread being served fairly taught, this might not be textbook but it works for me.

Good luck

Hey Ray

that's a very helpfull info-point for starting!!

Keep in touch!

Thank you.

Stergios

Yes please, as a rookie about serving etc, I would be grateful....

Put through and make knot

post-1538-0-09900800-1415342921_thumb.jpg

Put through and serve over. To fix last bight- make overlapping like knot.

post-1538-0-85902900-1415342921_thumb.jpg