HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

My latest concern (still for the futtock stave placement):

1) the way to attach the futtock stave on the shrouds. I'd like to perform a kind of rigging (using clove hitch knots ??) for a better stabilization of the staves...

2) the right "height" of futtock staves placement. Following strictly the height/distance from the plans, in my case the runway of the futtock shrouds seems to be in a more perpendicular way, so I can't simulate the sharp angle "a" of the plans. Do you suggest to place the staves two ratline steps higher?

Cheers.

Stergios 

post-944-0-03041400-1430560219_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-47177000-1430560221_thumb.jpg

Stergios, I think you want to have the futtock stave at approximately the same height as the yard (one purpose was to help keep the shrouds from interfering with the yards together with the catharpins).  I followed the diagrams in 'rigging period ship models' rather than the plans to get it to 'look right.  You want to avoid having them too low.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Stergios,

The futtock stave should be the same distance below the top as the mast cap is above the top. I normally tack the stave to the shrouds with dots of super glue, then properly hitch them. They don't move around that way. 

Looking good. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

I believe they are 3 and 5mm

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Stergios,

The futtock stave should be the same distance below the top as the mast cap is above the top. I normally tack the stave to the shrouds with dots of super glue, then properly hitch them. They don't move around that way. 

Looking good. 

Hi Joe

the way of "hitching" is the hot stuff, I think.

Any drawing or pic to help?

Thanks

Well, I think that looks great Stergios.  Glad you got it sorted.

Thank you Jason.

Futtock stave was a great challenge to me some time ago...

I decided to follow Andy's excellent work on it and now everything it's fine... 

• 2 weeks later...

... and now, let me present you my personal modification for the fore lower mast catharpins...

post-944-0-80075800-1433701583_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-16562500-1433701582_thumb.jpg

in photo steps....

post-944-0-49089400-1433701571_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-04796300-1433701577_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-98005600-1433701578_thumb.jpg

How you see, I've used the serving machine to prepare catharpins of equal length, I'm not so happy with the non-served eyes, but their fitting is'nt so visually detected especially after the placement of the futtock shrouds... 

post-944-0-73726100-1433701580_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Stergios, I'm sure you have a lot of distractions, hope you're doing OK and able to find time to continue building your Snake.  Best wishes.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Stergios, I'm sure you have a lot of distractions, hope you're doing OK and able to find time to continue building your Snake.  Best wishes.

Hi Jason and thank you.

Everything seems better now but with a huge ammount of tax compansative measures. We'll see...

Cheers Mort!

Hard to tell from the photo, but the foremast futtock stave looks to be the one that is a little high based on where the cheeks are, although it should only be a visual thing.  From pictures I've studies, the futtock stave is at a very similar level to the yard when in position, as the catharpins helped keep the shrouds from interfering with a yard braced round.  If the yard does not interfere with the shroud then I think you should be OK...

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hard to tell from the photo, but the foremast futtock stave looks to be the one that is a little high based on where the cheeks are, although it should only be a visual thing.  From pictures I've studies, the futtock stave is at a very similar level to the yard when in position, as the catharpins helped keep the shrouds from interfering with a yard braced round.  If the yard does not interfere with the shroud then I think you should be OK...

I'll try to apply a custom made solution.... I hope...

Edited by Stergios

You're right Jason, here are the relative futtock stave to cheeks heights...

Do you consired that as a huge penalty or I can live with it?

Should I stop and re-align the futtocks stave?

post-944-0-98977700-1437736699_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stergios

Do you consired that as a huge penalty or I can live with it?

Should I stop and re-align the futtocks stave?

I think only you can answer that Stergios :)  Don't think you will encounter a specific issue other than visual appearance.  Maybe try to put the yard in place to see what it looks like and whether you are comfortable.  Last night I fixed a couple of ratlines which was very challenging given other rigging now in place, but it could be done, its just down to your own appetite.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I think only you can answer that Stergios :) Don't think you will encounter a specific issue other than visual appearance. Maybe try to put the yard in place to see what it looks like and whether you are comfortable. Last night I fixed a couple of ratlines which was very challenging given other rigging now in place, but it could be done, its just down to your own appetite.

Jason I think that you can answer that better :):) cause you're so many steps ahead and - this way - you know better.

As you know I can't follow only the plans and I'm not so sure about the way and the height the yard will be fixed, so your experience on her is my only compass to proceed.... :pirate41:

I'm trying to see in the meantime Jim's "yard section"...

Edited by Stergios

If you keep it as it is you shouldn't encounter any problems in future stages of rigging...

...but, personally, I would move the the futtock stave to keep everything looking consistent.  I feel that I've spent so much time and effort on my model already that I know that I would be very unsatisfied at the end if I let something go that I know I could have fixed.  But that's me... ;)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

If you keep it as it is you shouldn't encounter any problems in future stages of rigging...

...but, personally, I would move the the futtock stave to keep everything looking consistent.  I feel that I've spent so much time and effort on my model already that I know that I would be very unsatisfied at the end if I let something go that I know I could have fixed.  But that's me... ;)

The revision has begun....

Edited by Stergios

• 1 month later...