Sherline 4000 Lathe Question

I just got what I thought was a good deal on a used Sherline 4000 Lathe. It runs great and seems nice and tight but there is one problem. The distance from the top of the cross slide to the center of the chuck should be .94". Mine measures .69". 

I noticed there was something wrong when I could not get a tool close to the center of the work and I could not chuck up a 1.5" diameter aluminum rod over the cross slide. My cross slide is .88" thick.

Can somebody please measure the thickness of their Sherline lathe cross slide for me? Here is a picture of mine with a brand new rear mount cut off tool that goes over a piece mounted in the chuck.

Thanks for any help, Al

post-9975-0-86002600-1401131823_thumb.jpg

Edited by alde

The heart is happiest when the head and the hands work together.

Al

Current Builds:

HMS Halifax 1/48 POF Lumberyard Kit

Model Shipways Glad Tidings

Acoustic Guitar Build FINISHED

Usually you would align the tip of the tool  ( cutting edge ) to the centreline of the job in the chuck, your parting tool is way to high in the toolpost.It will never work as a parting tool as it is.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Usually you would align the tip of the tool  ( cutting edge ) to the centreline of the job in the chuck, your parting tool is way to high in the toolpost.It will never work as a parting tool as it is.

Norman

Yes, and after looking at it and comparing it to pictures of other Sherline lathes and a drawing with dimensions I found on the company site it looks like my cross slide it too thick by 0.25". It was bought used. I am thinking somebody switched the slide with one from a mill or something.

Al

Current Builds:

A full quarter inch?????   The did something weird.  Are there any part numbers on the slide?  If so, you might contact Sherline and see what they think.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A full quarter inch?????   The did something weird.  Are there any part numbers on the slide?  If so, you might contact Sherline and see what they think.

Mark, I had the slide off and could not find a part number. I went ahead and ordered the slide that should be correct for my lathe directly from Sherline. It was $35 but it will be well worth it if it works right.

Al

Current Builds:

I have a Sherline lathe model 4410 and the thickness of my crossslide is .62.

Hope this helps...

Thank you. This is just the information I was looking for. Yours is a full 0.25" thinner. I must have the wrong part on my lathe. I sure hope the part I get from Sherline works. 

Thanks again for all the help.

Al

Current Builds:

Upon closer examination of your pic, it seems to me that you have possibly mounted the cut-off tool post incorrectly in your lathe. Are you sure that the post is not mounted upside down? (the slanted surface should be facing down).

Besides, I am not sure you can turn anything on Sherline lathes in the reversed position, from the back of your cross slide.

Try to mount it the right side up and in front (facing you) of the cross slide table. This should lower the tip of your cut off tool, hopefully just at the center of your work piece.

OK, I figured it out. You have a rear mounted cut off tool holder (post) instead of the standard one (front mounted, rightside up).

Also, it looks that your lathe came with a cross slide taken from their mill. You have to exchange it into a thinner one - dedicated to their lathe.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thomas

Edited by Dziadeczek

Rear mounted?  I didn't know there was such a thing.   Alde, which way is the rotation of the chuck?  I believe on the Sherline it should be such that it rotates the material into the top of the tool.  From your picture, it should be clockwise.  If the cutter were on the other side, it would be counter-clock wise.   Is it possible that the tool holder/slide has been somehow installed backwards?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

OK, I figured it out. You have a rear mounted cut off tool holder (post) instead of the standard one (front mounted, rightside up).

Also, it looks that your lathe came with a cross slide taken from their mill. You have to exchange it into a thinner one - dedicated to their lathe.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thomas

Yes, it's the rear mount tool holder. I got it because I thought it might be better if I make several parts like cannon barrels. I have the thinner table on the way and it should solve the problem.

Thanks again for all the help. I will post back when I get the new part and have it up and running. Then I have the fun of learning how to use it.

Al D.

Al

Current Builds:

Rear mounted?  I didn't know there was such a thing.   Alde, which way is the rotation of the chuck?  I believe on the Sherline it should be such that it rotates the material into the top of the tool.  From your picture, it should be clockwise.  If the cutter were on the other side, it would be counter-clock wise.   Is it possible that the tool holder/slide has been somehow installed backwards?

Yes, the standard tool holders that go on the operator side are about 1/4" shorter so they cut from the top. The rear mount is designed to cut from the bottom and the cut off tool is put upside down.

Al

Current Builds:

• 4 weeks later...

When using the rear mounted post you also need the riser for the head stock. The rules for using a cut off tool have not changed. The only difference is instead of cutting from the front you are doing the reverse . While replacing the slide is a start you could still use the milling slide to do the same thing.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Learn something new all the time.  The few people I know have that set up use a riser unless I did not get a real close look.

David B