A question for you Plank On Bulkhead kit builders.

I would definitely prefer more bulkheads. But more bulkheads come at a cost too - they need to be carefully positioned otherwise it would be difficult to cut out some gunports!

Edited by KeithW

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

If you look at the stem and stern area, it is advisable to use balsa blocks to aid in glueing the planks on. I always found these areas more trouble than the long runs.

Some builders I know, say they get a starved horse look between bulkheads and use blocks as well there.

If you glue blocks in, shaping the bulkheads does become easier. But personally I think its more work than I want to do.

Dave.

I added extra ribs/bulkheads on some places ... 

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Also, Chuch is designing a POB kit for Winchelsea, and he make much more bulkheads then usual, specifically to make the hull lines smoother and planking easier. Here is the build log: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/99-hms-winchelsea-by-chuck-1764-english-32-gun-frigate-pob-164/

In a word YES.I am now full convert to full timber infill of the lower hull.Even if you plank the model and don't have dips or flatspots,they can appear years later if the model is subject to a humidity change.Lots of bulkheads would cure this,but on a kit,it is easier to 'fill and fair' than add more bulkheads.Many Eastern European,Ukranian and Russian masters infill their hulls or use a design that creates a semi solid hull,so it is certainly more than just me that believes there is mileage in this technique.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

Manufacturers put just enough to get a shape.  This helps to keep the cost down.  However over the years I have found that filling in between the bulkeads makes for a better gluing surface.  You can also now easily visualize how the finished hull will look and make symmetrical.

David B