Virginia 1819 by cmann - FINISHED - Artesania Latina

Thanks, that clears everything up.

So you would recommend buying Lennarth Petersson's books? Someone has already bought me another model as a gift: the San Juan, also by Artesanía Latina, and the rigging is a bit more complex, maybe a book would be helpful.

I see he has two books, Rigging Period Ship Models, and Rigging Period Fore-and-Aft Craft, what's the difference?

The first book shows the rigging of a square rigged ship, and the second shows rigging of 4 different styles of fore-and-aft rigged ships.  Yes, I absolutely recommend them, they are completely full of drawings like the one I posted, in full page format and with each line isolated to show how it works and where it goes.

So now I think I have the rigging for the main-mast figured out, but if possible I would appreciate it if someone could check to see if everything seems fine or that I haven't done anything obviously stupid.

I have drawn up a diagram and attached it below, hopefully you can make out what is happening (make sure to click on it for the full sized version).

post-14262-0-55285100-1437949578_thumb.jpg

So in total there are going to be a total of 13 lines that need to be attached, or belayed?, to the deck, plus the one line and pulley used for the flag.

I also have a question about the thread, the instructions aren't very consistent and the colours in the pictures don't always match what I have. If you look at the photos of the instructions I posted previously you will see that they have marked three different threads: blue - 0.15mm, red - 0.25mm, and yellow - 0.5mm.

All of these are red (0.25) but if you look at the picture below you will see that there are two thicker, different coloured lines attached to the pins and the upside down u-shaped bar.

post-14262-0-46201800-1437949572_thumb.jpg

Where could this thicker line possibly be attached to?

I am also assuming that the pulley attached to the bar is used for the flag.

Your drawing looks ok to me, but I've only rigged a single ship so far, and read stuff here and in books, so I'm a far cry from an expert.

No idea what size rope you should be using for what, but in general the running rigging would be untarred (so tan) with only the standing rigging being tarred (dark brown or black).

In theory somewhere in your plans should be a belaying plan, but again, I don't have this model so can't say for sure if it includes one.  The Lennarth Petersson book on fore-and-aft rigs has a generic belaying plan for several ship types.  If you don't know, a belaying plan is a plan that shows where each line will be belayed to on the deck pin-rails and such.  I know that the AVS has this plan included, but my Carmen model did not.

In theory somewhere in your plans should be a belaying plan, but again, I don't have this model so can't say for sure if it includes one.  The Lennarth Petersson book on fore-and-aft rigs has a generic belaying plan for several ship types.  If you don't know, a belaying plan is a plan that shows where each line will be belayed to on the deck pin-rails and such.  I know that the AVS has this plan included, but my Carmen model did not.

Unfortunately it didn't come with anything like that, the picture above is all it had.

Your drawing looks ok to me, but I've only rigged a single ship so far, and read stuff here and in books, so I'm a far cry from an expert.

No idea what size rope you should be using for what, but in general the running rigging would be untarred (so tan) with only the standing rigging being tarred (dark brown or black).

This could help though, so the standing rigging is any fixed line that would not move?

If so then the thicker thread (in the picture from the instructions the thicker thread looks lighter to me, but in my kit the thicker thread is a dark brown) could be attached to the bottom left corner of the top sail, since as far as I can see that is the only fixed line.

Cmann, the "standing" lines, the ones which would be a darker color on your model, are the two fore mast stays (the jib runs up one), the main mast stay, which connects to the foremast, parallel to the deck, the two braces which end in a block on both gaffs, and the six shrouds ending in dead eyes on each mast. Oh, and the one below your bow spirit.

I believe the rest of the lines are running lines, lighter colored. It is a good idea to stretch the lines, for a while, before you install them, particularly your standing lines, as they may sag a little, later.

I see by your drawing that you have figured out about all you need to, but I don't see the braces.

Anyway, you'll soon be at it and it will become clearer as you go.

Steve

Cmann, the "standing" lines, the ones which would be a darker color on your model, are the two fore mast stays (the jib runs up one), the main mast stay, which connects to the foremast, parallel to the deck, the two braces which end in a block on both gaffs, and the six shrouds ending in dead eyes on each mast. Oh, and the one below your bow spirit.

Thanks, I'm not completely familiar with all of the terminology but thanks to Google I think I got everything you said.

I believe the rest of the lines are running lines, lighter colored. It is a good idea to stretch the lines, for a while, before you install them, particularly your standing lines, as they may sag a little, later.

Makes sense; I have started already but I will remember to do this from now on.

I see by your drawing that you have figured out about all you need to, but I don't see the braces.

Anyway, you'll soon be at it and it will become clearer as you go.

Steve

Thanks. Also, I only left out the braces because I thought that they were obvious enough.

• 1 month later...

I've slowly been working on the ship and have now completed the main sails, unfortunately I have run out of thread (I'm not sure if they just didn't provide enough or maybe I used it in the wrong place when I should have used the other greenish thread they provided).

I found a few online shops that stock it and ship internationally at a reasonable price but unfortunately they will only have stock in mid October so I will have to wait until then to continue.

Here are some photos of the progress:

post-14262-0-91409600-1443454812_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-81325300-1443454818_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-43032200-1443454824_thumb.jpg

post-14262-0-36371600-1443457786_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-13431700-1443457792_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-50737700-1443457800_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-26565500-1443457808_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-76315600-1443457815_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-65305400-1443457825_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-33379200-1443457834_thumb.jpgpost-14262-0-89394800-1443457842_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

A few weeks ago I finally received the thread. Unfortunately it was basically white and not nearly as brown as it looked in the picture - I've decided to use some thread I found locally that is a closer match.

Some of the photos aren't great but here is the completed model and some close-ups of the sails:

post-14262-0-90802900-1456767946_thumb.jpg post-14262-0-62364500-1456767951_thumb.jpg post-14262-0-31004100-1456767958_thumb.jpg

post-14262-0-37813400-1456767940_thumb.jpg post-14262-0-79611800-1456768265_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...