HMS Pegasus by herbgold - Victory Models - Scale 1:64

I discovered yesterday that Hobbies Ltd are selling this for £299.99, about a £45 reduction, so I placed my order. Expected any minute now if Darren is on time! The excitement mounts...

I almost certainly won't be able to start it until the New Year so this post is a bit of a hostage to fortune.

post-6844-0-09150500-1417604767_thumb.jpg

Current build: HMS Pegasus

Previous build: HM Brig Supply

Let me add my welcome to the Swan club.  Looking forward to your build log :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 months later...

Well, started today and, by dint of a little whittling, have managed to fit the bits together. I will take them apart again tomorrow and sand down the bulkheads whose thickness needs reducing, and perhaps glue it all together.

Tell me, is inhaling MDF dust a bad idea? Worse than ordinary sawdust? Should I wear a mask?post-6844-0-33797100-1423759020_thumb.jpg

I needed to fiddle about with the bulkheads a bit, Blue Ensign, to get the 5mm deck to fit. What I meant by "sanding down" the bulkheads was faring them to get the planks to lie neatly...

Thanks for the advice about MDF.

I would definitely use a mask when working with the MDF.  The dust bothered me a little when I faired the bulkheads, particularly when I did my rough sanding with a Dremel.  After reading stories about wood dust on here, I am taking a lot more precautions with my health.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 2 weeks later...

I decided, following the advice in Lloyd Matthews' blog 'Preparing the Hull Assembly': http://hmsfly.com/startingTheHull.html  to plank part of what he calls the "lower deck" (the 5mm MDF deck) on the grounds that the planking might just be seen if you look very carefully through the grating on the gun deck and (and much more important for me) it would provide good practice before planking much more visible bits.

I decided also to sort of follow Spyglass's method ( http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/420-hms-pegasus-by-spyglass-victory-models/ ) and score but not cut planks, but not attempt to simulate treenails. Decided (unilaterally!) that deck planks were 16' long, reducing nicely to 3" at 1/64 scale, and that there would be a three plank repeat (do you detect a theme here?), moving each plank up 1" from the previous one. Built a sort of jig to make marking the planks easier, and have so far planked on the template that Lloyd Matthews says will be all that will be visible through the gratings.

Moderately pleased with myself, but I think it was a mistake to plank symmetrically about the centreline, first left then right, rather than start at one side and just plank straight across, because as you can see there isn't a three plank repeat across the centre.

Hope this all makes sense!

post-6844-0-01770000-1424723097_thumb.jpg

post-6844-0-41446400-1424723133_thumb.jpg

Edited by herbgold

Nice progress.  I ended up just planking the area under the fore hatch - I don't think you'll see much if any of the rest of the planking, but probably a little laziness on my end as well went into it.  Good practice though.

Just out of curiosity, what wood are you using for the planking?  It looks like walnut, when I think the kit would have you use tanganyika.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Looking good.  As Mike says, good practice and an opportunity to figure out how you want to finish the more visible decks.  Something to remember is that the but shift would only have been used on full planking runs from stem to stern.  Planking between any hatch coamings, partners etc would have just used a single plank with no butt joint - visually that means the butt shift is less apparent along the center line.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Jason's post reminds me that one thing you might want to consider when planning your planking run is to butt the planking against the hatches.  It makes for a clean look, though it might be tough to butt the planks against the sides of the hatches if you aren't cutting your own planks.

Mike

Thank you both very much. Mike, I'm not sure what the wood is - it was leftover deck planking from my first build, HM Brig Supply, aka (once I'd had my hands on her) The Carpenter's Mistake.

Are you both saying that I should first build hatches and plank after, or at least stop short at hatchways? I'd thought it was mostly done the other way round, planking straight across hatchways and cutting them open later.

Edited by herbgold

Take a look at my log here beginning at page 15:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7267-hms-pegasus-by-landlubber-mike-amativictory-models-scale-164/page-15

What I did was pre-build the hatches, then ran the planking to stop short of the hatches fore and aft, and ran them alongside the hatches athwartships.  Then, having built the hatches slightly oversized, I sanded them back carefully to fit the opening in the planking.  Once the deck is complete, I will finish the hatches and glue them.  That being said, I created custom-sized planks for the deck, making it easier to take this approach.  It might be less feasible depending on the proportion of the hatches vis-a-vis the width of the kit planks.

For my Badger build, I took the approach of planking the deck, cutting out the holes for the hatches, then gluing the hatches onto the planking.  While the approach I took on my Pegasus looks cleaner and is more accurate historically, frankly, once the deck is busy with all the deck items, the difference in the two approaches won't be as apparent.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

• 1 month later...

Restarted today after a long gap, as it's finally warm enough in the garage to work without heat. Glued the bulkheads to the keel, glued the fake planking to the lower deck, glued the lower deck to the bulkheads. All seems very square and solid.

Was about to ask silly question about plank termination patterns, but have sussed it out. Onwards (very slowly)!

post-6844-0-69630400-1429010617_thumb.jpg

Edited by herbgold

Judging from your photo, I'd say the butt pattern you've worked out looks pretty good.  The only problem I ran into was that the hatches interrupted the pattern I worked out, but you seem to have avoided that issue. 

Good work!

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

I'm puzzled by the instructions for the gun deck planking and I don't think they've been thought out very well. I'd hinged the two halves with some tape and then stuck crosspieces as indicated but I can't see (i) that  they are historically correct, (ii) what the point is of not planking the centre part of the deck at this stage, and (iii) why the deck should be in two halves if you're going to defeat that by fixing them together..

Spyglass says that most modellers plank in straight runs bow to stern - see here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/420-hms-pegasus-by-spyglass-victory-models/?p=4616 and I think I will scrap the crosspieces and do just that. Then I will be able to cut through from the back for the hatchways etc, following Landlubber Mike's Badger build method (see above). I will not plank right to the edges on the centre section - this will have to be done after the deck is in place and the tops of the centre bulkheads have been removed.

Make sense?

post-6844-0-46490400-1429259131_thumb.jpg

post-6844-0-81863900-1429259199_thumb.jpg

Thank you, Spyglass. It IS the "duff ply" and I will try to strengthen it. To me, the great advantage of planking the deck before I fit it into the hull is that I will be able to plank end-to-end and then cut through the hatchways etc from the underneath - just seems easier that way rather than having to measure carefully after fitting it.

That ply deck is a nuisance.  What I think most of us have had to do is glue pieces of scrap  along the tops of those midship bulkheads to provide support for the ply deck -- otherwise it tends to stay a bit springy there in the middle.  It's also important to ensure that the 2 halves line up the full length -- after dry-fitting mine, I had to go back and file the insides of the foremost bulkheads to avoid the tendency of one half to overlap the other.

Spy's advice has helped me through many tricky steps.

Cheers,

Martin

Current Build:  HMS FLY 1776

Previous Builds:  Rattlesnake 1781

Prince de Neufchatel

• 8 months later...

Hey Herb, welcome back and happy new year.  We all take breaks from our build at times :)  Look forward to following your progress!

Mike

Looking good so far Herb. I think we all overthink sections of our builds, for what its worth I think planking before fitting the decking would have made more problems than it solved. Cutting out the hatches etc is not actually a problem (As long as you do not totally obscure them) I had a lot of fun using Pegasus as makeshift maracas, trying to get all the bits of planking out from the lower deck. :blush: 

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been a while since I was last here! I decided that my original gundeck planking was so bad (even my beloved said it wasn't very good, and she's usually very encouraging) that I've remade the whole thing on "proper" 1mm plywood and 1mm x 3mm lime strips. It still isn't great, but a lot better than my first attempt, after I put some tung oil on it. I've planked it with 3inch strips, which I was quite pleased about, but the ends of the strips don't quite line up. Photo attached - I haven't finished the cutouts yet. I haven't done treenails - beyond me.

I have a question, learned brethren. I'm trying to work out the sequence of the rectangular cutouts on the main gun deck, from what seems like rather inadequate diagrams. As far as I can see, from bow to stern, it goes:

1. hatchway or grating??? 2. grating 3. grating 4. hatchway or grating???

I think 4 is a grating (and I'm not too bothered as it won't be very visible when it's covered over with the quarterdeck), but what is 1?

I'll go away now, but not for so long, I hope.

post-6844-0-10229100-1463312646_thumb.jpg

Got it - the booklet shows a hatchway with ladder there but I can't find it on any of the plans. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I'm fitting all my gratings on top of the deck simply because I don't have the skill to do a neat job with the cutouts. :(

Edited by herbgold