Bluenose by LMDAVE - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1/64

Thanks guys, I just made a little brass wire jig sort of like they show in the instruction booklet. I want to make some cleaner wraps with my seizing though, black would hide that, but tan seizings look cool I think.

Finished the starboard side main shrouds , now adding the rat lines. very tedious. I decided to break here and show progress, there are about 20 more steps to go. I have a backing paper with lines to help keep the spacing even.

405839121.jpg

Dave - If memory serves me (and it often doesnt) there are 960 clove hitchs on the main and fore lower shrouds. I would do about 8 rows and then take a break for an hr and come back and do 8 rows. Lots of fun!

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I completed the first set of ratlines. First, this is a set that will be one the non-displayed side of the ship, so if I want to make some improvements on the next side I can. I didn't go the professional route of clove hitches on every knot, started with a know on the left and then a dap of glue to simulate a knot with a touch of flat black over it for the other two knots. Maybe in the future I'll attempt a true to ship clove hitch on every knot of ratlines.

The only other thing was the shrouds converge at the top that the rungs of the ratline disappear before fully reaching the top. Also, Bluenose had two different assembly of their ratlines over the years. Covering all four shrouds was actually done at some time, but reducing it to 3 shrouds was done for racing. Almost all pictures I've seen have it covering just 3 shrouds.

405935328.jpg405935327.jpg

• 1 month later...

Back from another 6 week break again. After the first attempt at the rat lines I decided to get back on track from where I left off with the booms. I still had to make the jumbo jib boom and traveller block. Maybe I'll complete the foresails before getting back to finishing the other ratlines.

Here's the jumbo jib boom added.

406438156.jpg

406438154.jpg

406438155.jpg

Another little side project I worked on were the deck barrels. The real Bluenose had 3 behind the main cabin. My barrels were just slightly bigger than scale so with the barrel holder assembly I went with 2 barrels. I may dress it up a little more with some rope coils.

406453564.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Back to the foreboom/sail, with a rainy Sunday I was able to cut/sew/hem/wash/dry/iron and put the eyelets in the fore sail. Only one more sail to make after this unless I decide to do upper sails. But, I'll install and rig this sail next before moving on.

406460125.jpg

that is a nice build u did there  great job   i have a bluenose ll 600 by billing boats in the box that my dad got me for brithday but i dont exp to do it yet now i cant wait to get to it after seening how u did a great job on yours

Thanks dragzz, I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel on this build. I'd like to start planing my next build also. I'm really partial a racing yatch for my next build. I really like the Amati Endeavour 1:35, the 1:80 already has a premade hull and that take the fun out of it, but the 1:35 is 46" long, and 56" high! I love the boat, buy didn't want the model that big. Who knows what I'll end up with as my second wooden build.

Dave,

I just caught up with yoyr log and your rigging and sails look good. Can't wait to get started on mine. I like your barrels as well, and agree a few coils will finish them off nicely. It is fun to see three ships coming together at the same time.

Dave B

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Started assembling the foresail. I must have missed having to add a bail on the bowsprit for the standing rigging for the sail, but I was able to fit it in. And wasn't sure on how to attach the black standing rigging on the upper end, so, I looped it on the mast and seized it. So until I have the remainer of the running rigging for the sail installed and tightened up, I have a loose moving sail that could be coiled up and shown in the stowed position if desired at this point.

406481607.jpg

406481606.jpg

blurry pic... sorry

406481605.jpg

Dave - that is some nice looking work.  After reading your comment about the upper end of the jumbo jib stay, I had to take a closer look at the rigging plan.   What you did matches the plan nicely.  To me it seems a little iffy for them to wrap the stay around the base of the topmast, but I suppose that after the topmast shroud is rigged there isn't much chance of the base popping out.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thanks. I was looking for actual pics of that stay connected at the mast. Only thing I found was on a different version of this model was a bail around the mast also for this to tie to. But I'm happy with what I did

Pretty much finished the jumbo jib sail, minus one or two rope coils. So much rigging for each sail!

406505313.jpg

406505314.jpg

406505315.jpg

406505316.jpg

Great looking build. I like the detail around the windlass. The sails look good as well. Very good work.

Russ

Dave - that came out really well.  Like Russ, I was admiring the work around the windlass.  The coils that you have on there have a nice realistic look to them.  Nice job indeed!

Bob

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Thanks Russ/Bob. Yeah I like the coils also, cotton thread with beeswax was definitely the way to go.

Finished the Jib sail, which will probably end up being my last sail. This full shot is kind of a spoiler shot, because now all is left is all the "trimmings". remaining shrouds, and rigging, and dressing up the deck more.

This was probably my worst sail, but I'm still happy with it. A couple of stain mark got on it but I'll leave them as character spots....not bad enough to redo the whole sail.

406550461.jpg

406550462.jpg

406550463.jpg

406550464.jpg

That looks pretty good. The sails are neatly sewed and they hang okay. I cannot see the stain you mention so it cannot be that bad. :)

Russ

Edited by russ

Thanks Russ, yeah, I posted shots that didn't bring it out. Certain flash shots brought it out.

I couldn't get any responses in the support section so trying on my log also.

Since, I'm coming close to finishing my first wooden ship build. I like the look of the brass pedestal stands, and have to admit, wasn't too sure how the boat's keel stays in the little slots. Then my parts came in.

Am I suppose to drill pilot holes in the bottom of the finished boat keel to take these screws from the bottom? If so, now it makes sense how it's held on the slots. Just hard to get myself to put screws in the bottom out of fear of splitting the keel.

406570604.jpg

Dave - that's the way I understand it - take a deep breath, drill pilot holes up through the keel, and then send the screws through the pedestals and into the pilot holes... I am feeling better and better about putting mine on a cradle :)

I guess this is something a lot of us newbies miss - better to drill the holes at the beginning of the build.  I know I missed the implication of trying to do it later.

Bob

Drill smaller pilot holes first. Then drill them out a little and then put the screws in. This would have been better done early on in the build, but it can be done now with some care.

Russ

Dave,

Russ gives good advice, as usual. I have read of several modelers who glue T-nuts or the like in the keel before assembly or planking. These would use a small (#4?) machine screw thus reducing the chance of splitting the keel. I learned this after My hull was planked, so I decided to make a cradle. Give the pedestals a try, just go slowly and carefully.

Dave B

Edited by DBorgens

Current build: HMS Pegasus, English Pinnace (on hold)

Completed build: MS BluenoseSkippercraft

Bob/Russ/Dave Thanks guys for the advice. YEah, I think the trickest past is just turning an aalmost finished boat on it's side for drilling.

I needed to order new pedestals with the wider slot. I feel comfortable with the pedestal slot holding the area so that splitting is not likely to happen.

I had the say problem on the same kit at about the same time. From that experience I have always Planned ahead and decided how I was going to mount it before I started planking. I have not found pedestals that have different slot sizes, And often the keel is too big for the pedestal. So I have found it necessary to sand the width of the keel at the point of the pedestal.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Check Bluejacket Shipcrafters for brass pedestals. They have a couple of different slot widths on theirs. Also, make sure that the keel is wide enough to accept the screws to begin with. If not, then you are better off making cradles and using small pins to scure the hull to the cradles.

Russ

OK, I need to get back to my actual build. I've been focusing more on display over the last week or so. I'm actually almost complete building my display case. I purchased a foyer type table, but I'm building the case itself. This case is huge and will be pretty heavy when all the glass is in, the problem is my method for putting the case over the boat was over the top like a hat. The case ended up being so big that I'll probably hit my ceiling while removing it. So, I'm going to have to have and ingenious way of getting the boat in and out if I have to.

Another neat little thing I just bid on was an actual vintage rigging block to display with my ship. The block I got is just like the one in the picture below but has the hook with it. In worse conidtion and has been thru a fire. I will probably refinish the wood on it some for display purposes, but think it will be a nice touch.

I got the idea from seeing this picture of a bluenose on display and thought it looked nice: 

sailboat-model-bluenose--16627-1d.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

Thanks Jerry!

OK, went through installing the display stand today and here's the end result. Not bad, but not perfect. The forward pedestal has a slight lean, and (not shown) the overall perpendicular lie of the ship has a very slight lean to the starboard side. Now that everything is in and snug, I don't want to take the screws out, so the small imperfection I can live with....At least I say that for now.

My only concern now is working on the remainder on the boat. I need to cover the stand so I don't accidentally get CA glue drops on it or paint. I really just have mainly rigging and shrouds left, but have proabbly a month or so of work left.

Thanks for the advice.

406622443.jpg