Can anyone tell me what differences there are between Goodwin's Sailing Man of War and the Construction and Fitting of English Man of War.  Both cover the same periods, One is English Man of War, the other "Sailing". The covers seem identical. 

Is one better than the other for the ship modeller.  Are both helpful or would one repeat much of the other?

Appreciate the help

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Hi Druxey,

I double checked both, looking at the Covers in their listings. 

One is:

The Construction and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650-1850.

The other is:

The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War 1650-1850

Both by

Peter Goodwin. 

It just has me wondering.

Richard

Richard

Hi Druxey,

I double checked both, looking at the Covers in their listings. 

One is:

The Construction and Fitting of the Sailing Man of War 1650-1850.

The other is:

The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War 1650-1850

Both by

Peter Goodwin. 

It just has me wondering.

Richard

Both are definitely by Goodwin.  I have one (The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War 1650-1850) but not the other.  There is a 10 year difference in the copyright dates (1987 for the English Man or War. 1997 for the Sailing Man of War), but the on-line description is sorely lacking for the latter book.

When I get a moment, I'll dig into some of my archives and see if there are any reviews in Mariner's Mirror or the NRJ. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Thanks Wayne and Druxey,

I have the English Man of War and think its pretty good.  That is why I am interested in finding out more about Sailing Man of War.  As I mentioned, the slip covers are the same so wondered if Sailing was basically a reprint under a new title.

Richard

Richard

Richard,The Sailing Man of War was published by Conway Maritime Press in the UK. The English Man of War was published by the Naval Institute Press in America. I rather think that was only a decision by the U.S. publisher to alter the title slightly,the contents are the same.

Dave  :dancetl6:

Edited by davyboy

Richard,The Sailing Man of War was published by Conway Maritime Press in the UK. The English Man of War was published by the Naval Institute Press in America. I rather think that was only a decision by the U.S. publisher to alter the title slightly,the contents are the same.

Dave 

Dave -

The 1987 English Man of War was originally published by Conway in the UK - the Naval Institute Press is their US distributor.  I haven't had the chance yet to see what any of the reviews of the 1997 Sailing Man of War have to say in terms of comparison to the earlier book. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Dave -

The 1987 English Man of War was originally published by Conway in the UK - the Naval Institute Press is their US distributor.  I haven't had the chance yet to see what any of the reviews of the 1997 Sailing Man of War have to say in terms of comparison to the earlier book. 

Hi Wayne,

I had both copies (one of which I sold to a forum member) which had the same content as far as I could see. Check out Abe Books using both titles,Sailing MoW is described by all booksellers therein as published by Conway. Conversely English MoW is described as PUBLISHED not distributed by Naval Institute Press. Just sayin'.

Kind regards and best wishes for 2015.

Dave  :dancetl6:

Thanks all,

Wonder why they changed the name...

my copy "English..." is published in US by naval press.  So the original must have been "Sailing..."  Perhaps the Naval Press wanted to be more specific about the nationality of the ships discussed.

Oh well, at least I won't have two of them.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

I have heard of at least one other instance where the U.K. and U.S.A. titles were altered, and it was one of the patrick O'Brian seafaring novels. The fifteenth novel in the series is The Truelove in the United States but in the United Kingdom it is titled Clarissa Oakes. I have never heard ANY explanation why the editors decided they needed a name change. All of the other titles in the series of novels are the same on each side of the Atlantic.

Niagara USS Constitution 

I have heard of at least one other instance where the U.K. and U.S.A. titles were altered, and it was one of the patrick O'Brian seafaring novels. The fifteenth novel in the series is The Truelove in the United States but in the United Kingdom it is titled Clarissa Oakes. I have never heard ANY explanation why the editors decided they needed a name change. All of the other titles in the series of novels are the same on each side of the Atlantic.

Some other book of the same title already under copyright in one of the countries?

Wayne

Epictetus

The Construction of the Sailing Man of War, 1650-1850, by Peter Goodwin, was published in May 1987 by Conway Maritime Press Ltd, London. When sold through the US Naval Institute Press, it was re-titled with the word English added to differentiate between US and RN practice. The contents of both titles is identical.

Hope this helps.

Michael

member of
United States Naval Institute

Royal United Services Institute

Society for Nautical Research
Navy Records Society

author of
The Art of Nautical lllustration - A Visual Tribute to the Classic Marine Painters, 1991, 2001 & 2002
United States Coast Guard barque Eagle, 2013 (Blurb Photobook)

former assistant editor of the quarterly journal and annual 
Model Shipwright and Shipwright 2010