17th Century Ships

felelo

Hello everyone, something that always gets me, is that I'd like to know more about ships from the 17th Century

other than big galleons. I think that the famous galleons make it hard to research on other classes of ships, 

so I seek for a more extensive knowledge on the ships for that century, maybe a book or something! Any tips?

You might snoop around here:   http://nautarch.tamu.edu/academic/alum.htm   There's all sorts of info.   Some big, some not so big and some small ships...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The earlier the period, the less 'hard fact' information is available. There have been many research articles on 17th century ships over the years in The Mariner's Mirror (U.K.), as well as posted on the site Mark mentioned.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Greetings felelo,

Try the Pepper Wreck by Filipe Vieira de Castro. It is about a Portuguese merchant ship carrying pepper that went down at the mouth of the Tagus River in Lisbon, 1606. Portions of the ship were recovered between 1997 and 2000. I know 1606 is the beginning of the 17th century, and the ship was probably built in the late 16th century but the book gives good descriptions and pictures of how she was built.

wq3296

17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships by Ab Hoving (2014) from Sea Watch Books (ISBN 978-0-9904041-1-8)

http://www.seawatchbooks.com/114003

Following is from the publisher’s website:

By the end of the 17th century, the Netherlands was the preeminent trading country in Europe. Their ships were to be found everywhere on the world’s oceans, seas and rivers. Most of this trade was carried in the hulls of smaller craft and not in the large “Retour” ships of the Dutch East India Company.

Ab Hoving, a master modeler and the “dean” of Dutch maritime history, has selected ten types of these ships for his new book. Ab has authored the text, Herbert Tomesen has built models of each of these ships, Cor Emke has drawn plans for each of the ships and Emiel Hoving, Ab’s son, has taken all of the photos and designed the book.

This book and the accompanying “Plans Portfolio” of 24 sheets, in ¼ or 1/8 scale depending on the size of the ship, has something for every modeler. Pick your favorite building method, the size and complexity of the ship you want to build, and you are ready to cut wood. Besides being a treasure trove for ship modelers, this work helps document the merchant ships of one of the world’s greatest sailing nations. The color work and computer graphics in this book is spectacular, and all lovers of ships will find something intriguing for them.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus