Mast Coats

wq3296

Greetings,

Typically, there had to be a means of keeping water from leaking in around mast penetrations through the decks of ships. The model ship I am working on now does not call for mast coats but I will add them anyway since they were probably a standard item. How else could you seal around the mast? Practically anything can be used to fabricate mast coats - wood, paper, cloth, etc. painted black. I would expect they extended up the mast at least a foot. I guess they were originally made from tarred canvas or leather. Any thoughts?

wq3296 

The ones that I have seen up close were painted canvas. My model did not have them either. So I constructed rings made of ⅛" wood and shaped them into rings that fit the mast. Following the Connie's paint scheme, they were painted white. Here is a photo of the USS Constitution Mizzen Mast and wheel. You can see the base of the mast behind the wheel.

post-10450-0-42995100-1421764229_thumb.jpg

Edited by robnbill

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

You are welcome. FYI, the ones on the Connie look like they are metal. It has been several decades since I was on her. I did see a number of these on a replica ship in Amsterdam and they were canvas. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Here are a few more photos of the Amsterdam's seals as well as what it looks like below decks.post-10450-0-32188400-1421785641_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-52899400-1421785520_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-50563500-1421785521_thumb.jpgpost-10450-0-42109100-1421785522_thumb.jpg

Bill

Chantilly, VA

I'll add a couple more examples from the Endeavour Replica. Made from canvas  I think.

post-1505-0-46027600-1421791638_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-08060200-1421791682_thumb.jpg

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

My Mamoli Connie did not have any rings at the base of the mast. So I cut rings out of wood and painted it white.Then glued them down to the deck as I placed the masts. FYI, the masts are not glued in. I did place the end of a needle into the base of the masts so they would stick in one place inside the hull, then used the rigging to hold the masts in their correct rake and side to side. I held off gluing the rings until the masts were in position. 

Bill

Chantilly, VA