Recomendations as to best casting resin to use for casting fittings

Ahoy Mates

Looking to cast some fittings in resin. What would be the best resin and rubber and mold release to get  started for casting parts?

The parts are some trim work around windows that I have to make ten of. I have a master completed,it's 1/8" x 1/4" x 1 1/4" overall size.

Thanks

Keith

Keith,

I am a big fan of making molds and parts from these molds so I do not want to discourage you in any way.   But, are all ten piece exactly the same?  Other than cannon, there are few things on a ship that are exact duplicates of another part.  Length, angle, siding, &c. change from piece to piece.   What trim parts are these?  Can you send a picture of the master?

In any case, any silicone RTV found in hobby shops, Micro Mark or other such suppliers will work.  You will also need mold release, casting resins and solvents to clean the mold release from the parts, and uncoated disposable cups.  By the time you are done you will have at least $40 or $50 invested and spend more time than if you made them all  of  wood.   

If you do go ahead and make the molds, it will be good experience, and hopefully an enjoyable one for you. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan

After I posted the question,I looked up what it would take now in cost and started to carve the parts now. They are the same. They are the side window eyebrows for the cabin windows on the Panart's 1/47 Royal Caroline. I have attached a photo here of what the master. It sits on top of the drawing in the AOTS's book.

I ahve made lots of masters for 1/35 tanks and conversions in the past. It's been a long time since I looked at the prices for all that is needed to resin cast. If I was looking at a lot more than 6 parts,I would do casting.

Thanks for your input.

Keith

post-7881-0-95494500-1423684423_thumb.jpg

Keith,

I might take exception to Allan's comment above. I think he's thinking of sailing vessels. I just completed a model of a 19th century steamboat and there was plenty of repetition, especially around the windows:

post-106-0-37898500-1423680915_thumb.jpg

Perhaps you can see the green insert in each opening? To accomplish that I used a Micro-mark product with good results. First I made the master:

post-106-0-19277800-1423684375.jpg

Then I built the mold and poured in the resin:

post-106-0-95367000-1423684439.jpg

And you can make them quite thin:

post-106-0-56417000-1423684479_thumb.jpg

Tom

Hi Tom,

Good call.  You are absolutely correct, I mistakenly pigeon holed myself, thinking only of older wooden vessels.  If I ever found the fortitude and gained the necessary skills to build a  steel vessel I am sure I would use a few liters of silicone and resin. 

Keith, I suspect casting parts for the overhangs on the side lights would have been a reasonably good way to go, but wood, assuming they will not be painted, as you have shown, sure looks nice.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Allan

The parts that I am making get painted with  a blue color,so that it doesn't realy matter what they are made out of.If the parts are to be painted I use all types of materials to build with. Just as long as they will have a long life.

Thanks for your questions and sugestions along with the others who have answered this posting. I just wish that I could find a great replacement for the brass castings in the kit! I know that I would pay a nice sum for  a set like others who have carved theirs that are shown here on MSW.

Keith

Hi Allan

Here's what I finished up with as to the windows and their frames that I made out of Evergreen Plastic strip material. Strip material used:

.020 X.060, .020 X .030,  .030 X .030,  .030 X .080,  .030 X .140  and .030 sheet.

The parts are on top of the 1/48 drawing in AOTS Royal Caroline.

Still have to put in the window muttons in 5 of the six windows.  The frames get painted gold leaf when finished. The back of the windows are 1/32 boxwood that was cut out for the window,and the window's frame was glued inside the opening in the 1/32 thick boxwood. They will be inserted into the cabin window cutout's.

So much for casting the parts. Just one days labor.

Keith

post-7881-0-25142500-1423886554_thumb.jpg

post-7881-0-19632300-1423886559_thumb.jpg

post-7881-0-40566600-1423886566_thumb.jpg

Keith,

They look so good as wood, sorry to seem them leafed!

Allan