USS Constitution by MikeU48 - Revell - 1:96 - PLASTIC - with sails

That was true Mike

To be honest there were two bucket list items that I was able to fulfill when my oldest son was in school and later practicing on the east coast. One was going on board the Constitution, and the other was being able to walk the decks of the Olympia. Both very unique in American history as you say.

I was even able to "Accidentally" get into the great cabin of the Constitution, (At the time apparently not part of the normal tour) It took them about five minutes before they realized I was not part of the 'special' group that was being shown around the ship.:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That must have been such an awesome experience to be on both those historical ships. I can't even imagine. Thanks for sharing. Any pics of those to ships you wish to share?

I'm taking a break from painting...my eyes were getting crossed. I'm coming to the realization that I may have to prime everything regardless of color. The gold just is so thin on the black....same with white....patience...I know Patience....

All of the pictures from that period of my life were left at the airport in my camera.

I had just bought my first digital camera about a year earlier and had a number of pictures on the cards from several family trips, and the birth of our first grandson. These included the last trip that was to San Francisco to visit my wife's dying grandfather. I had to change my grandson's diaper at the airport and the camera was in the diaper bag. In all the confusion of getting everything back together and catching our flight halfway across the airport I managed to keep the kid and bag, but left the camera! Of course it never showed up, and all the pictures were lost. I probably didn't loose all that much in Constitution and Olympia pictures as I was not contemplating building either when I took them, but it was the last time we ever saw my grandfather-in-law and the only pictures that were ever taken of him with him and his great great grandson together.

You really should take some pictures of your work and share your progress even if it does not seem all that much to you.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Sorry to hear about your Grandfather-in-law and the lose of the camera and the precious picture it contained. That happened to me once and made me back all my important pics on several external hard drives. We all learn the hard way at times.

I have taken some build pics but just need to get around to posting them. The gold paint really doesn't coat well by itself so I guess I'll end up removing it and primering first. Lesson learned the hard way (reference the first sentence above...lol

Got my oak veneer decking, brass cannons, and cannon carriages in the mail the other day from HiSModel. Pretty impressive stuff. Thanks for the suggestion sincerely. The sails and other minor stuff is in the mail. My bankruptcy is pending....

Thank you for your sorrow. It was almost fifteen years ago now and my wifes grandfather was almost 100 years old at the time. Great guy and had led a very interesting life.

I am glad HiSModel came through so quickly. I have never ordered from him before but I understand he is very popular in Europe. If your results are any indication then I can see why.

I have found that when hand painting raised details with metallic paint I like to leave the bottle upside down until just before I open it and don't shake or stir it. That way the heavier solids settle to the lid and I use the lid as my source for the paint. Just the small amount of thicker paint in the cap goes a long way as you are painting such small details and really using very little paint.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I understand the pain of losing a loved one as I lost my dear sweet wife almost 10 years ago at the tender age of 59.

The quality of parts from HiSModel is impressive. Communicating thru email is challenging because of the broken English but I can get by. Sails will hopefully be here next week and I'm sure they will be outstanding.

Thanks for the painting tip. I usually leave the bottles upside down but shake and shake. Using the paint in the lid makes a lot of sense. Thanks again. 

Will be posting some pics later for what they're worth...lol

Edited by MikeU48

Hope the painting method works for you Mike.

To be honest if my wife passed away today I would probably fall apart completely. We have been married for more than half our lives, and she is the only one who will still even talk to me. I have already told her that I was going to torture for the rest of my life and she would not be able to enjoy until after I was gone, Before her! Losing others is one thing, losing your most treasured loved one is unimaginable to me.

Looking forward to your pictures.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou and Jim,

Thanks for the painting tips. The gold I have attempted to paint will be removed (Thanks to ELO) and primed. I'm in NO rush and I'm challenged to do the BEST I can.

Lou,

Thank you for your kind words. The lose of my sweet Nancy has left me beyond words ( but then again... I truly could write a book) We dated in college (1967-1969) then went our separate ways (Thanks to the DUMB adolescent I was). It was truly a miracle we got back together in 1989 and we married in 1991. Soulmates doesn't even come close to describing what we had and yes, I was devastated when she went to Heaven but happy for her. When God decides my earthly hell is done I will hopefully join her again.

Off to priming I go.

Thanks again guys...

Gidday Mike,

Sad to hear of your loss. I'm 57 and have been with my wife for 35 years. As my late father in law used to say  " That's about 3 life sentences". 

Good to hear some positive feedback re HiSModel parts. I'll have to find some things to hock and order some parts as well.

All the best with your build.

Mark

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your kind thoughts.

I've been very impressed what the Items I've received from HiSModel.

So far I received the oak decking, brass cannons, and wooden cannon carriages. I should be getting the sails and some other misc part by weeks end.

Super impressed with the new decks. I've read over the PDF file that they send me but the broken English is hard to understand. I'm going to try and find someone on this forum who has installed these decks before. From everything I can figure out the lower deck goes on in two pieces and the main deck in one piece. I assume (which I hate to do) that the plastic decks need to be glued together before the oak veneer is glued to them. More research to be done.

Still priming and painting the fine scroll areas to the hulls so progress is slow at this point. WIll post some pics later today I hope...lol

Here's at least a shot of the oak veneer decking. I don't know how to post the pic on the horizontal. THat's the way the original pic is. Hummmmm

20180928_115644.jpg

Edited by MikeU48
trying to rotate picture.

Nice looking paint job Mike, including the gold trim. I especially like the copper color you used. It looks like a more subdued and weathered color than you normally see.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

There are few sentences or words that bring a chuckle but it all reads pretty well to me. I do have to say that his command of English is far better than my ability to communicate in Czechoslovakian! Well that would probably apply to ANY language in my case. I suspect that if I tried to say anything to him it would sound like Wookie speech. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, MikeU48 said:

Is there a way to post pics that I'm missing so they are not always verticle

I suspect you are taking them with your cell phone and it is the way you are holding it when they are taken. I am in no way any kind of expert, or even a novice, but sometimes I open the pictures on my computer first to look at them in a large enough format that I can see. I could at that point rotate the pictures and upload the results on to the post I was making if I wanted. I could also resize them I suppose. That is about all I know how to do, I am certain that there are others here that could let you in on all kinds of neat things you can do.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Mark,

Thanks for the comment. 

Lou,

I take my pics horizontally with my cell. The pics get flipped when I load them here. I may try taking a vertical pic or two to see what happens.

Back of the Captain's quarters. Slow progress. most of the gray primer done and first coat of white on the window frames. I noticed when I used the ELO (paint remover) to get rid of some paint smudges that it dulled the black plastic...Hum...what to do....

Edit: Just had to try several times to load the images before the program here got it right...lol

20181002_084145.jpg

Edited by MikeU48
get proper photo orientation

Morning Mike

Congratulations on getting the pictures the way you like them.

The etching of the plastic from using the paint remover may be a good thing. I should give the paint something to bite. I will drop OC a line and have him come over and possibly give you some pointers on hand painting. He does all of his work by hand and the results are outstanding. I do know he is a big advocate in using the paints very thinned down and a hand dryer.

Have a good day.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

4 hours ago, lmagna said:

Morning Mike

Congratulations on getting the pictures the way you like them.

The etching of the plastic from using the paint remover may be a good thing. I should give the paint something to bite. I will drop OC a line and have him come over and possibly give you some pointers on hand painting. He does all of his work by hand and the results are outstanding. I do know he is a big advocate in using the paints very thinned down and a hand dryer.

Have a good day.

Thnaks lou,   I'll introduce myself to mike.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Hi  mike,

Loving your start I understand the kit is very good   Revell have made some really goods kist  another is HMS Victory, anyway on with your build  -

Lou mentioned tips with hand painting  - I have hand painted every kit I have built, comes from never moving on to getting spraying equipment,  the tips I have leaned along the way are  -  (please excuse the colums)

Try to keep two different thickness's of each color you use  - one dilluted about 50/50  and the other  original thickness.

You can use propriety thinning agents or as I do  use disstilled water.

Keep a few good paitbrushes  in good shape  - I use a tiny one for fine details, a small one and a medium  (the medium is good for spreading the undercoat and proceding thin layers.

I try to keep my paint jars - tops and around the rim clean and free from residue paint,   I also tend to use the lids for applying small areas of paint as they retain a small amount of paint from shaking the bottles,   if using the paint tins same difference would be to load a small  container (like the glass candle holders for t cup candles  - cups)  with paint from the brush in use.

I always paint in layers starting from the base/undercoat  - start with the normal thickness paint (but not too much on the brush) as soon as a basic layer of paint is applied,  I use a hand held hair dryer to dry the paint quickly - it also helps to even out the paint molecules.

Then move onto the thinned paint and again apply this in thin layers (do not apply too much as it will form bubbles when set,  again use the hairdryer between each coat,   also change direction of the brush - say from the opposit direction each application.

The thin layers help the finnish to be smoother as it tends to self level.

I also use acrylics as my prefered medium as they are just all around a better paint  - easier to clean up and no smells.

Hope I have covered everything  any other tips just give me a shout.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi OC

Thank you very much for the painting tips. It's always nice to hear from a pro. Where do you by your acrylic paints? I've only bought Testors and a few Model Master brands. Same question on paint brushes. I know from painting in my home that a good 1/2" cut brush is the only way to cut the top of a wall into ceiling white. I appreciate ANY other advice you wish to share.

1 hour ago, MikeU48 said:

Hi OC

Thank you very much for the painting tips. It's always nice to hear from a pro. Where do you by your acrylic paints? I've only bought Testors and a few Model Master brands. Same question on paint brushes. I know from painting in my home that a good 1/2" cut brush is the only way to cut the top of a wall into ceiling white. I appreciate ANY other advice you wish to share.

With regards to your brushes   this looks good  its a set   - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FINE-HAIR-PAINT-BRUSH-SET-x-6-sizes-0-00-000-for-model-figure-painting-Tasma/381137469443?epid=1348149223&hash=item58bd904003:g:s1EAAOSw1vlUxlmn

And with your paints   you could try this acrylic set  specifically for your build  -

https://modelexpo-online.com/uss-constitution-paint-set-eleven-bottles

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, MikeU48 said:

Hi again OC,

Thank you again for your suggestions. I know from experience that good brushes are paramount for any kind of painting not just models AND the same goes for the paint. Your advice is much appreciated.   ;);):D

No problem at all  - glad to help.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, MikeU48 said:

Hey OC,

One question for now as I'm sure I will have other along the way.

What setting on the hair dryer do you use? I know paint need to flow so I don't what to guess HIGH setting...

Thanks in advance

To be honest it doesn't really matter   - just on high the blast tends to blow things over the place on the bench,  but drying the paint  just dries faster.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Well people,

I decided to take a temporary breaking from "trying" to paint. Seeing I'm close to mating the hull together I decided to order 2 slotted brass pedestals and a wooden base. They came the other day and this is what I got...

20181004_144433.thumb.jpg.4431eafe072ea7190b9aeb48e2c426da.jpg

I guess you have to order TWO PEDESTALS....lol

At least it wasn't a painting error...lol

Edited by MikeU48