nikbud

Liveship Vivacia by Nikbud - Mantua - 1/64 - kitbashed from the Mantua Pinta kit

12 minutes ago, GrandpaPhil said:

The V is fine!

You’re doing very well!

Thank you GrandpaPhil!

I think a simple rod hinge would suffice mate. If you try and go for a gate hinge it could look a little bulky. I like the cherry strips on the door panels but, have you thought about inlaying them? I know that sounds crazy but with an inlay they would have a nice definite edge. If you use a very small chisel and make the groove just a little wider than the strips I think it will work. Just my opinion mate, don't go dashing off and tearing it all down again. 

The V is ever so slightly off but not enough to drive you crazy. Considering there will be a lot going on around it I don't think it will be that noticeable -_-

Thanks for the comments and likes guys!

Mark, yeah I thought about inlaying the strips, but...……… i'm not confident my skills are up to the job. Having said that I may as well give it a try, I have got enough wood, I have nothing to lose apart from a couple of days work!

Peter, I'm not sure what ideas of mine your nicking, but i'm certainly striving to emulate your neatness and expertise.

Hello, my apologies to those of you who have taken a seat for this build, I hadn’t realised it has been two weeks since the last update. Due to work interfering I have made only a little progress, although I have two weeks leave after this week and I am looking forward to spending a lot of that time in the shipyard. I will have to make the most of those two weeks as work will interfere again until late June.

So, I had thought long and hard about Marks’ suggestion about inlaying the cherry either side of the doors. I tried various methods but, unfortunately, I could not get the neatness I was after. A milling machine would be ideal for this but neither my cutting nor the dremel were able to match up. As the doors etc don’t need to be glued up as yet, I have decided to leave this for the moment. I may try again another time or I may settle with what I have.

I continued with the side windows; cutting out the window “glass” as I had done with the previous windows.

2301.thumb.jpg.686050391ffadab30b8ab0bd283c1384.jpg

I then made the centre upright and the thin strips that will surround the window and cover where the planking meets the window “box”

2302.thumb.jpg.0b009a659ab6518fa846ae3f37bd26c9.jpg

The top strips shaped, the side strips shaped and then test fitted on the side walls;

2303.thumb.jpg.1468d121accd74ada5bc7f772e14737a.jpg

Thin strips were cut to make the window-pane-frames.

2304.thumb.jpg.7404ee852ad4312f0d814caae0b8c3cd.jpg

It was at this point I decided that I would try an experiment. The bulkhead windows made previously suffered from a little fuzziness, so I wanted to apply a little sanding sealer or poly to the strips before final sanding and fixing to the windows. But I didn’t have any so they were added to the must have list, which was then “helpfully” commandeered by the Admiral to help constitute my birthday present. A nice gesture, but means I will have to wait until the end of this week before the experiment can start…….

I turned my attention to the forecastle bulkhead. Again I felt that this needed to be at least partially completed before planking and decking.  In preparation I cut off all of the remaining bulkhead extensions.

2305.thumb.jpg.386c26a2bb1b170b97ebb867944a29e0.jpg

The forecastle bulkhead will be a much more simple affair than the sterncastle bulkhead. It will have one door and window. The door will be simply made from strips, like others seen on models from this period. The window again will be simple, with no hinges or window pane strips. The premise being that the Trader/owner will not spend good money on a fancy door or window the “ham-fisted crew will use and abuse”

The window and door were cut out of a hardwood strip, another strip will be laminated to the back of this to give a bit of depth behind the window. A larger hole was cut out behind the window to allow me to more easily glue the window pane.

2306.thumb.jpg.df6b5276e7fb0e0b64f6f444dba16826.jpg

I wanted to have the bulkhead planking to follow the curve of the deck so each cherry plank was cut to length, sanded and then clamped and heated.

2307.thumb.jpg.5b3b08e0228a859879a131996d03abab.jpg

I decided to make this bulkhead in the opposite way to the way I made the aftercastle bulkhead, so the whole bulkhead was planked first and the window and door holes will be cut out from behind.

2308.thumb.jpg.0f77397e1be111e1aade73aefb66ee5f.jpg

2309.thumb.jpg.6b39b0e051a698a90b6206a56a5467d0.jpg

Once the planks were trimmed to size and the holes cut out, I used thin light-walnut strips to form the door and window frames. The two strips were glued together and then the window pane glued from the back. The door isn't that wonky in real life, its the camera - honest!

2310.thumb.jpg.edbaeaca019b78534f3da8faeaeda3fa.jpg

The area behind the window will be painted black, which will hopefully give a sense of depth and space.

I have started making the door - sorry no pic - and I think I may have to go with a gate type hinge. I’m hoping I have some offcuts of brass etch hidden away somewhere, although my metalwork skill are non-existent. If not I may print out a couple of hinges on the computer and see how they turn out. I have also got a little motif (took me ages to work out how that was spelt!) that I may be able to use on the door so I have a few options.

Hopefully the Admirals’ birthday package will have the required bits so I can continue as planned. I have also asked for a couple of books that will help me with the rigging, I’m going to have to start to think about this soon as I need to work out how I am going to fit six sails onto this ship, and the associated channels and pin rails.

That’s all for now, by this time next week the side windows and the forecastle bulkhead should be just about finished - fingers crossed!

Cheers!

So, how do you feel as you approach your 21st mate? :)

I would not be too concerned about the inlays, it was just a fleeting thought and that oanel does look fine without that anyway. I look forward ro seeing whats in the birthday package - books are alwaysba good choice. When is the happy day exactly?

21?? I wish.......

Wednesday is the day, but I can't get to the shipyard till the weekend........

And it's only monday......

10 minutes ago, nikbud said:

And it's only monday......

Then you have something to look forward to don't you :)

22 then...Happy Birthday my friend! :)

A nice update and I really like the idea of the curved planking on the forecastle's bulkhead! Well done!!!

Thanks guys! 😁

I am dipping heavily into the patience jar Mark!

7 hours ago, Katsumoto said:

A nice update and I really like the idea of the curved planking on the forecastle's bulkhead! Well done!!!

Thanks Peter, of course, you know that I'm now wondering whether I should have done the same on the aftercastle bulkhead...…….😕

13 hours ago, nikbud said:

I should have done the same on the aftercastle bulkhead...…….😕

Noooooooo.... it looks fine. Fingers off mate and move on 😉

13 hours ago, nikbud said:

Thanks Peter, of course, you know that I'm now wondering whether I should have done the same on the aftercastle bulkhead...…….😕

Take it with you for your next ship, like Mark said, move on it looks fine mate! :)

Hi guys, thanks for your comments on the aftercastle bulkhead, I will leave it as it is. Tho I must admit to spending more than a few minutes contemplating the redo………🤔

The Admiral came through with the various bits and pieces required for this build so I can crack on. However, not before I spent quite a while gazing at this fantastic piece of artwork the Admiral found;

2400.thumb.jpg.94616c1b587a37c5c4017569a32d4e28.jpg             

Nothing to do with this build, but a good incentive to keep on building 😎

So, as I said, I wanted to try an experiment with some sanding sealer and its effect on the fuzziness of the window pane frames.  The first job was to brush the sealer onto each of the pre-cut and sanded thin wood strips,

2401.thumb.jpg.0cfa19e739b1f05439c316d00c4a0469.jpg

I let them dry overnight, then rubbed each one with fine wire wool.

I was happy enough with the effect that I brushed sealer onto the fore and after castle bulkheads,

2402.thumb.jpg.379408adb3043d49e6e1822c9d919507.jpg

I rubbed these with wire wool and recoated them for a second coat. I think I used the wire wool on the second coat a little early so I have left them to cure properly and check on them tomorrow.

Back to the windows, I glued the glazing from the inside. To make sure the glazing did not pop out into the cabin in the future I applied a thin strip along the edges and the bottom on the inside of the pane,

2403.thumb.jpg.77404cf367ab2d1af83cf018b807dddf.jpg

Once these strips were dry I spent a good half hour making the outer frame on the right hand side;

2404.thumb.jpg.d17b6e314859d3fc7d765058053cc769.jpg

It took so long because each length was cut to a little over length and then minute slivers were cut off until the correct length was achieved. Of course every now and then I would cut too much off and then have to start with a new piece……….😕

After a good couple of hours work I now have two completed (barring the ironwork and internal central strip) side windows. As you can see there are a couple of gaps, luckily at normal viewing distance these are not visible.

2405.thumb.jpg.9019226ade9fd5bfcf018488562e9d04.jpg

Like I said before I made a door for the forecastle bulkhead, unfortunately the pencil between the strips didn’t all show. I’m going to try masking and using just the thickness of paint for the ironwork on this door and see how it turns out. If I'm not happy I may just make another door………..

Forecastle bulkhead and “current” door;

2406.thumb.jpg.1bc0c63addb0bec1fd5f7d8790c6c3f2.jpg

Hopefully I can get a whole day in the shipyard tomorrow….. after I have perused my latest maritime modelling how-to book;

2407.thumb.jpg.ca0fa04f8f814ec51cee502b37ee0603.jpg

Cheers!!

I told you that Asterix would be a great help mate. Now, the finish on those bulkheads is really nice. Leave them be! 😅

6 hours ago, Wallace said:

the finish on those bulkheads is really nice. Leave them be! 😅

Awwww okay 🤔  ….

well, I did give the bulkheads an extra sanding - the sanding sealer dried “sparkly” and using the wire wool didn’t get rid of it completely, so this morning I used a very fine sanding stick which gave me a polished-wood look. (pic at the end)

My first job today was the ironwork on the forward door. As I said yesterday I just used paint to represent the arm of the hinge - the hinge itself will be made from blackened brass (a job for later this week).

I used Tamiya masking tape to mask the door. One tip when using masking tape, especially tape that has been rattling around the toolkit for a few years, is to lay a strip of the tape on a clean pane of glass and cut a strip off the edge. This will give you a new straight clean edge to mask with;

2501.thumb.jpg.e96eb5a0055ba2df947a4060f624ff94.jpg

Naturally I got carried away with the process and didn’t take any pictures, so I only have the final result to show you,

2502.thumb.jpg.af387bb26930bde847abb0733b8c70f9.jpg

The top of the lower arm is a bit ragged, possibly (probably) I may have mistakenly used the “wrong” edge of the tape. Life size it doesn’t look too bad.

I have always been wary of gluing sub-assemblies together, in case I have forgotten something. But today I decided to stop prevaricating and decided to glue the aftercastle side walls to the base. Before that I had to glue the back wall of the captains cabin to the bulkhead. I also glued the door in place and made a door-handle out of a painted pin head.

2503.thumb.jpg.87508071ea96297964d1bbd6d0d90f72.jpg

While the aftercastle walls were drying I turned to the forecastle bulkhead. The books specifically mention the use of a capstan on Vivacia, so I need a hole in the bulkhead for the anchor chain/rope to pass through. I wanted to make a “reinforcement” ring to go around the hole.

Easy, I thought: my initial plan was to laminate some strips of the light walnut;

2504.thumb.jpg.05e20c7d1938dd38ac4c0181a515364e.jpg

….mark the centre and trim to shape,

2505.thumb.jpg.ff21c373017424977e90962f966496db.jpg

…..drill out the centre and screw into the dremel and sand to shape,

2506.thumb.jpg.c5fb2460a398a84a8417c734899f7313.jpg

….aaaand, after a couple of hours and many false starts I ended up with; 😣

2507.thumb.jpg.98f7bd36faefd5a5691510923c4cf397.jpg

😭😭

Undeterred I tried again with some walnut and at last made something I’m happy with;

2508.thumb.jpg.7514cb10c776afe4ee028c8a18da333b.jpg

So only a few  hours work and a fair amount of swear words (I think I made up some new ones too), to make a circle of wood - and I don’t even know what it is called……….. little wonder the Admiral thinks I’m mad.

Cheers

Paul

I admire your dedication to the cause mate and in the end you got the work done. If it was me doing it I would have taken a (round) dowel, pre-drilled it before cutting it off at the right thickness then stained it accordingly. 

Oh, by the way did you eat a dictionary yesterday? Along with all those made up swear words (did you write any down?) you had this one in your log today "prevaricating". It probably took longer to write that than it did to make that ring 🤣

4 hours ago, Wallace said:

I would have taken a (round) dowel, pre-drilled it before cutting it off at the right thickness then stained it accordingly. 

I did think about this but I didn't want the end grain showing. That and my ability to drill in the exact centre of a dowel is rather wanting 😢

4 hours ago, Wallace said:

Oh, by the way did you eat a dictionary yesterday? 

Indubitably, Sir.

Veritably I do postulate that my expanded terminology, or phraseology if you prefer, is a denouement of the unadulterated eternity exhausted yesterday manufacturing an elementary circlet by unquestionably convoluted and perplexing techniques. My aspiration is for less burdensome arrangements to manifest themselves in the not inconsiderable future.😁

57 minutes ago, nikbud said:

My aspiration is for less burdensome arrangements

Yep, like having a cool one 🍺