Stern gallery of Santissima Trinidad

Thank you for your input. To me (and you know I am only tiny bit more then lay man so it is just a discussion at coffee table, not a real dispute) difference between model, which was- as we know from Mulan himself, a project for Stantissima and reconstruction proposed by  mr. Crespo is simply too big. What he proposes is almost direct re- drawing of english plans, with no trace of any spanish or french influence. IF that would be the case I would expect much more of that to be visible in initial project (and, of course, in model), not in much later (post St.Vincente) re- design, which is a subject of above drawing.

Re-designed bottom balcony columns. Now it becomes obvious that upper rail is perpendicular to bottom (and IF all lines are to follow one scheme- that's not good) so it is to be re- done AGAIN:

prev.jpg

that's where it is clearly visible what has to be changed (red elipse- compare how upper rail flows in totally different way columns would suggest) :

front.jpg

I for one am very pleased to see you back on the project.Your hard work is paying off in spades and this stern is going to be truly a thing of beauty.It is going to be infinitely better than the kit version!!!!!! I would have no hesitation ordering an example from Shapeways.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

You are probably missing a trick,as the Deagostini part work is now in the UK,I dare say they may be a few takers,that is on top of all those who are,or are planning to build the vessel on this Forum and others.I would still buy your parts knowing you are making a profit,after all we still have bills to pay.

Kind Regards Nigel

P.S.I would also add your front bulkhead to my list,That is stunning!

Well- bulkhead is rather generic I am afraid (it is just a typical, regulatory lion)- I am planning to build a new one, just still unsure if it should be a figure of Trinity or archangel Michael with shield of Trinity. I am leaning towards first option (mostly because of this painting) but I still have not really made my mind. In any case- I am rather sure sculpting all figures as shown on "prototype" model will take enough time to let me think which path should I choose.

Sorry for picture quality- if any of you is in London you might get better photos. Painted by Ltd. Robert Strickland Thomas- a painter AND a sailor, with good understanding of sea and (unless I am mistaken) a man who gathered a lot of resources befor painting this one

surrender-of-the-santissima-trinidad-to-

Zdj%25C4%2599cie1870.jpg

Edited by RKurczewski

There's a painting I've seen and darned if I can remember who did it or where it is... it was either on DDM or MSW 1.0 of her.  Had the Trinity for a figurehead, as I recall.  

Edit:  found it...http://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/13/02/90/30/titel210.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nigel- thank you, I am glad you like it. Hope finished stern will be appealing to you, too. The build you mentioned- yep, I am in touch with a person who did it (after all there are not so many modelers of that grade in any given country). Very impressive work.

Mark- o yes, you are certainly right- it is a beautifull piece of art. My only problem with that painting is that it is modern and- although based on all researches we have- we can not say it is based on first or even second hand relations (that's why painting by Lt. RST is- of course- personal opinion- so valuable, although fo course also not to be believed 100%)

To my knowledge Santissima carried maximum 14 mortars ("Santissima Trinidad- A Giant of the Seas"), all of them on uppermost deck of course. Under Trafalgar- probably just 4, but sources differ  on it (plans widely available on net say there were 10 of them). In any case- since ship was equipped with very mixed artilery (as most of ships of era) and what is provided in set are just uniform, badly cast cannons, I will probably work on artilery as well.

"In the 1805 stat report she appeared with 134 cannons, which may be because the 6 very

small guns mounted after the 1797 reconstruction were not taken into account, however, the 4
mortars recently mounted were counted. Among the stats and operational reports previous to the
Battle of Trafalgar, she showed 136 cannons, possibly because then the 6 very small guns were
counted, but not the 4 last mortars."
Edited by RKurczewski

Wow ! My shopping list for this build is getting bigger daily :huh:  :huh: I shall wait until you have completed your work and then buy in the order I shall need them,to spread the cost out a little.Now an interesting question,how do you propose to tackle the dummy cannons?I have seen the recesses made deeper so the metal gunport frames/lids can be discarded.Do you propose to make longer dummy barrels,or are you thinking of going all out and having complete cannons on all decks?Obviously this would require more structural work.Again,I must say fabulous work and I will add that my build will remain unstarted until I know the full extent of detail parts you offer through Shapeways.I really think that with all these,the Santissima kit will really be taken into the next dimension.

I wish you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Kind Regards Nigel

If I were you I'd wait till you see photos of prints- after all they can be worthless (I do not think so but you loose nothing by playing it safe). Now dummy cannons is an interesting subject. It was very uncommon for ship to sail with all gunports open, so for my own build I am just going to have all of them sealed (I want it to be a diorama of Santissima on anchor) BUT if you (or anybody else for that matter) want to do "dummies"- I can make a fake, "closed" gunport with a part of gun (or even entire one), to be glued from inside. That way you would have a clean solution, probably better then what's proposed by kit designer and still not requiring extensive modification or creation of additional decks.

Thank you very much for wishes and all the best to you and your family. May your sea be calm and your shores smooth.

Thank you.Yes I shall wait until you have completed the project and printed some prototypes.I would rather wait anyway so I can assess what alterations I plan before commencing assembly.If you are intending to produce a full range of the complete cannons,I may well consider the option,subject to cost as I was planing on some alterations to the skeleton design,so adding internal decks does not pose a big problem.I was planning on changing the supplied dummy cannons anyway as they are so short,they offer little scope for modification to the standard kit design.

Kind Regards Nigel

Beauty of Shapeways lies in fact that you order as many parts as you want, so I do not have to plan ahead or "bind" anybody to buy this or that much. If one wants to equip all his decks with "my" cannons- he can order any configuration he wants. If just for a top deck- same. Person buying from them orders prints, that's it, I do not have to set up anything (and that's how I like it). I am just happy to design parts that can come handy, since it helps me, too.

I just browsed Shapeways website and checked out there video's.  So cool.  My dilemma is should I carve all the figures for my next built (Statenjacht Utrecht) or just design it in TurboCAD  pay a price and have them make me the objects.

Think of the possibilities with this technology.  Anything can be created.

Now I will sit back at let my mind process this technology and see what it can do.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you developed your cannons,do you have a barrel centre to deck level height?I am trying to establish gunport sizes and the deck levels in relation to these.So far my calculations going by the Spanish drawings gives the following clear opening size for the gunports;

Top deck working down

8mm wide by 6mm high

9mm wide by 7mm high

10mm wide by 8mm high

11mm wide by 9mm high

I worked the deck level to lower cill height out from the same drawings but I am getting small discrepancies when I cross reference with the artillery drawings on the same website.

Any values you have calculated will be interesting as I could do with a second opinion on this one.

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards Nigel

• 2 weeks later...