"La Jacinthe" by Small Stuff - 1825 Aviso 1/48 Ancre Plans - 1st scratch

Par l'Ingénieur De La Morandière 1823 HISTORIQUE DES GOËLETTES & MONOGRAPHIE METHODE DE CONSTRUCTION DU MODELE

this is the original title on the books cover but I'm working with my "working edition" copied from the english libary edition - because I can't spreak french and only guess some vocabulary by my rest of latin from school.

Some months ago I borrowed the english edition from the libary and figured out there are more than five schooners awaiting the reader inside.  I decided to buy the book because it is a very economical way to built a hand full of ships by one book - due to the fact that I'm not wealthy. And so I buyed the french edition pre-owned on the antique market with all the five plan sheets inside for all that I cannot speak french at all! So I payed again for the interlibary loan to get english-languaged copy again - copying it to be able to read it at all. I searched out three possible model ships for myself to get more difficult projects "to keep the challange alive" - going foreward step by step. So I followed the Monfeld's way of growng complexity in the chose of the paragon.

I wrote to the Ancre publishers to get some more details about the sweaps for the boats and the oars for the aviso - because I decided to build her in a clam towed by boats.

This type of model will give the possibility to me to show her full rigging of all sails and studdingsails set in an spiral order (after MacGregor "The square rigged sailing ships"). The spiral is the trial to catch any wind from any direction. And to use this moment also to give an idea of the size of the schooner to the viewer by using 1/48 figures at the oars in boat and on the deck. (I made mility modelbuilding for many years and so I'm used to alter figures to get them to fit to the situation they are placed in.)

"La Jacinthe" is an aviso schooner built for the use in the colonies. The small armarment of two 12 pounder carronades shows clearly the were not built wor the battle line. The were built and used as dispatch vessels for collecting information and having an eye on the trade traffic. The schooner belonged to the Anemone-Class and the ships were in duty till the 1860th - some of them were altered and got an encloses bulkwalk and a one part gun lid from the hulls side up to the middle of the port. A problem I'm dealing with in my article about the  "La Munite" in her appearence of 1833 ( http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4810-la-jacinthe-building-a-variation-further-sources/ ). A picture added below.

The shistership "La Topaze" doesn't had a topgallant sail and yard. She may have used the two triangeled sails instead.

The dimensions are given in the original enlisting from the drawing below. A very good model was to see on the woldchampionship in Rijeka 2012 winning a C1 silver medal by the skilled builder Slavian Narlev from Bulgaria.

So I'm going to tell something about her and my thoughts about my first scratch project - I'm going to catch as much information before my start as possible.

Here are the plans sheets - all are scaled to 1/48! The very best point for the very beginning greenhorn like me is the planking is shown plank for plank in the sections drawing. Where to glue to the formers and how thick the pear has to be. 

Best for me may be to put a first planking of solftwood (lime/linden) on bulkheads and than to sand till the blood is coming out under the nails... to be able to add the second pearplanking on a smooth surface.

So I start now to collect some information, ideas and perhaps warnuings from all of you - long time before starting the building. So I'll have a look towards my copies and asks some of the typical greenhorn questions.

post-8257-0-03336200-1389389069_thumb.png

post-8257-0-81389000-1389389109_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-23939200-1389389126_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-77360700-1389389156_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-57587200-1389389163_thumb.png

post-8257-0-93373200-1389389701_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-71202000-1389390305_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-33821100-1389390471_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-68380700-1389392086_thumb.jpg

post-8257-0-10015100-1389392134_thumb.jpg

Edited by Small Stuff

My carpetmonster adapted to laminate flooring!

GK - Modellbau No. 2002 a little boat 680 after E.Paris  - PoF 1/50

AL 18021 Scottish Maid the 1st Aberdeen Clipper 1839 - PoB 1/76 (?) 

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

Hey there Stan ! 

I'm planning to build this babe in future. But I've to finish 2 more before it.. During the time I'll bie watching you with an interest! 

Cheers, Bugra. 

There is nothing that a little sanding can't solve.. Bugra.

Current Builds : 

H.M.S. Triton Cross Section by Bugra - 1/48

Turkish Traditional Ship - Surmene Takasi by Bugra - 1:35

It's the very same with me - a "USRM Ranger" and a generic boat... So if you have any helpfull hand for me - please write!

How -in what situation and rigging- do you want to show her?

Dream: a hullmodel of the 66 55/95 tons US-Revenue drop-keel Cutter 1/2"=1ft, plans by H.I.Chapelle

Looks like a fine scratch boat.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Hello friends, I've got the copies and cutouts now.

So I've had to rolled them and stored in my rack -

to avoid any deflexion form the "USRM Ranger". :blush:

But I could place a doubled copied sheet at a sinle unshelfed left wall...

as a kind of optical motivation by the wounderful plan No.5

post-8257-0-94174400-1389790734_thumb.jpg

Edited by Small Stuff

a really beautifull ship!

my "recouvrance" had made whith the plan of your but  build.............in 1990 with all the new technical constructions!

a litle jewel of small britain

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

current build:   royal caroline

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

I always do the same thing Stan. Sometimes, you just can motivate even examine the plan.. And it's great feeling!

The most important think is -so I have been told - getting so fit in  my plans sheets that I'm able to walk over the deck in my mind. And being able to make a  perspectiv drawing of my best love - best moring in the water. I think about the colours - the lower parts black and the upperparts in the classical french greenish blue colour like in the painting of "L'Aurore".

Do you think it is realistic - for a schooner of the french restauration navy?

post-8257-0-89524100-1389810918_thumb.jpg

Edited by Small Stuff

a really beautifull ship!

my "recouvrance" had made whith the plan of your but  build.............in 1990 with all the new technical constructions!

a litle jewel of small britain

Have you still got the model? I'd like to see same pictures.

it's not the same periode the "jacinthe" has builded in 1817 in brest  so  100 years later and it was made in series

in list:the "iris","la jacinthe",etc....
Agrandir cette imageRéduire cette image Cliquez ici pour la voir à sa taille originale.
shd_4710.jpg

here is a picture of the "recouvrance" if it can help u!!

Of the bank I look at an ocean of pleasure, or the tumult attracts you, this global movement will be your tipcart!

buid finished:  la recouvrancehttp://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3025-la-recouvrance-by-ofencer29350/page-2?hl=recouvrance

What a fine project - here some more information:

http://www.portde.info/index.php?post/2008/04/07/65-des-iris-a-une-goelette-la-recouvrance

Thanks for your help!

thanks for your link!

Certain' - you're welcome!

• 1 month later...

Dear friends, I'll have to struggle my way through the problems restarting with the "Ranger" kit towards this model... 

So I'll prepare myself here with some propgress during the next weeks - but before the Coreel Kit from "Ranger" must be done.

Let's stay with the first idea... it was the best one!

Yours

Stan

We're a patient lot, Stan.  We'll be happy to watch whatever you decide to build, whenever you get to it.   One at a time or multiple builds going on at the same time...  no matter. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 1 year later...

Hallo wooden colleques,

due to the further eye operations, finding of a new job and the end of the holidays with my son - I am able to getting restarted back to the beloved Jacinthe .

Today I rebuild my workshop back to wood... to start tomorrow. Than I'll go in the afternoon to sign my new job's contract...joining the afterworkparty  :) .

Yours

Stan

Edited by Small Stuff

• 2 months later...

Hallo wooden colleques,

due to the further eye operations, finding of a new job and the end of the holidays with my son - I am able to getting restarted back to the beloved Jacinthe .

Today I rebuild my workshop back to wood... to start tomorrow. Than I'll go in the afternoon to sign my new job's contract...joining the afterworkparty  :) .

Yours

Stan

Small Stuff! Be careful  with 7-th frame! I know, what i'm saying...

Edited by aviaamator