HMS Snake by drtrap - Caldercraft

Yes I did.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

A lot of questions...about the shrouds and the mizzen mast...

Should I start making loops in the middle of each line and creating that way a double line running towards a respective pair of deadeyes? 
At what distance from the mast should I make the seizing of each pair of line?

Thank you all.

Hi Stergios,  regards the residue of wax, some people run the waxed line quickly through a candle flame to melt the wax into it.. you may want to experiment a little first though  ;)  ;)

Also have you thought about building your own Serving Machine (I did just that, you'll find some photos early in my Ballahoo log ) it cost me around € 10 at most if I remember correctly .

Cracking good build you have here by the way, Snake is a beauty.

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Stergios,  regards the residue of wax, some people run the waxed line quickly through a candle flame to melt the wax into it.. you may want to experiment a little first though  ;)  ;)

Also have you thought about building your own Serving Machine (I did just that, you'll find some photos early in my Ballahoo log ) it cost me around € 10 at most if I remember correctly .

Cracking good build you have here by the way, Snake is a beauty.

All The Best

Eamonn

Cheers Eamonn

I'll try to melt the debris the way you mentioned, thank you!

About the serving tool.... is not a matter of money, is a matter of time! I believe that thte remaining time to finish "Snake" will be seriously increased with serving,  that's why I continue to resist and try to do my best to accomplish the rigging section without any serving machine...

Thanks again...

Stergios

Edited by Stergios

The build is really coming together Stergios.

I would recommend serving as it looks excellent and is well worth the time. I wish I had served all my shrouds on my Snake.

Jim, I have no experience with serving....

Is there any help or manual about the basic steps?

Thanks

The build is really coming together Stergios.

I would recommend serving as it looks excellent and is well worth the time. I wish I had served all my shrouds on my Snake.

Another question: are any instructional tutorial/videos on what a serving machine can "perform"?

Thanks again 

Edited by Stergios

Stergios - I'd add my voice to the 'support for serving' club.  In my view, it makes a big difference in the look of the rigging.  The principle of serving is very simple, theres no manual, but I've seen people sharing individual ideas and I've tried to do that as I goalong, a lot of it comes down to what you find works for you.  It does take more time, but I decided to commit as I would not have been happy with the non-served rigging and am glad I did.  I use Alexey Domanoff's excellent machine as seen here on MSW and have been happy along with many others, he does provide a guide on his website to the basic techniques.  Let us know what you decide!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

It would allow you to use both hands.. my home made version has to be manually turned so I can only use one hand to do the serving etc.. but this allows me considerable control as I can very easily go backwards slightly ! it just takes a little more time for long servings (admittedly that's why mine is 'geared' the way it is with 2 different sized cogs per side)

If it isn't overly expensive why not get it.. I'm sure it (the Motor) can be removed to revert to manual turning for more intricate work.

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

It would allow you to use both hands.. my home made version has to be manually turned so I can only use one hand to do the serving etc.. but this allows me considerable control as I can very easily go backwards slightly ! it just takes a little more time for long servings (admittedly that's why mine is 'geared' the way it is with 2 different sized cogs per side)

If it isn't overly expensive why not get it.. I'm sure it (the Motor) can be removed to revert to manual turning for more intricate work.

Eamonn

I agree Eamonn, I'll send a query to be sure that I can remove the motor to turn the procedure to a manual function....

Cheers

Edited by Stergios

In the meantime, I just wonder: do I need any special rope material for the serving except those of the kit?

Especially for the line that is encircling each mainrope, what kind of material and size is needed?

Thank you all, one more time.

Stergios

Edited by Stergios

Regular sewing thread can work just fine. I went to a local store a just bought a bunch of different types (its very cheap), but I ended up using a 65% polyester 'glace finish' which seemed nice and smooth without any fuzz.  I'd also recommend you buy some GS-Hypo glue, it works really well with rigging.  Dries clear and slightly flexible, works well on false splices.

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I've purchased Gutermann thread from eBay. You can get all you'll ever need for a few euros. I've purchased Black and Tan for various requirements.

In addition to use on serving machine I use it for splices, and simulating seizing as described in the carronades section oft Ballahoo build.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Regular sewing thread can work just fine. I went to a local store a just bought a bunch of different types (its very cheap), but I ended up using a 65% polyester 'glace finish' which seemed nice and smooth without any fuzz.  I'd also recommend you buy some GS-Hypo glue, it works really well with rigging.  Dries clear and slightly flexible, works well on false splices.

Jason do you mean hypo gs cement?

I can;t locate something like hypo gs glue, even I use my net browser... 

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

I use gutermann scala360, scala 240, scala200 – two-threaded. I wind two threads in one rope. And resulting rope is used to serve.

2-threaded serve is textured and looks excellent.

post-1538-0-85089200-1414442630_thumb.jpg

I used basically the same thread as Jason and I used Elmer's School Glue. Worked out very well.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society