Armchair wreck-hunting

HSM

Someone recently found the concrete ship wreck shown in the Amazing Photos thread, so I thought I'd share one I've visited in person.

Near Churchill, Manitoba Canada is the wreck of the SS Ithaca. Here is the Google Satellite image and Wikipedia article.

If you know of a wreck visible on Google Satellite from anywhere in the world, please post it! I find these derelict hulks fascinating.

Ithaca_01.jpg

ithaca1.jpg

6448645-The_Broken_Rudder-0.jpg

From about as far from the ocean as you can get in North America!

A couple of years ago the water level in Stockholm harbour was unusually low. On the beach of Kastellholmen island surfaced an unknown wreck suspected to be a 17th century Danish prize that later was deliberately sunk at the spot to act as pier. Only small parts remain, but interesting nonetheless. Pictures here, including a detail on what appears to show how a deck clamp was bolted to the frames:

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Örlogsfartyget_vid_Kastellholmen

Edited by Matle

S.S Atlantus (sp) off the west side of Cape May, NJ off Sunset Beach. It 's a concrete ship. Can't copy photos, but you can see pix on Google Earth, search Sunset Beach, NJ.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Here is another concrete ship off of Galveston Island Texas. SS Selma - Google Maps and Wikipedia. I grew up seeing this ship every time we rode the ferry to Galveston.

Kevin

Hampton, VA

Current Builds: Skipjack Albatross - 1:32

On Hold: Yacht Atlantic - Scientific

Completed:  Ships Boat - MS - First Planked Kit

• 3 weeks later...

Just ran across this thread. It got me to thinking about whether the remains of my grandfather's brigantine Galilee were still visible in the mud in Sausalito, California. As it turned out, they are in Google Earth. I verified this with the Galilee Harbor Community Association management today. Load the KML file in the zip file attached. You will need to have the free Google Earth program installed to view the timbers.

Enjoy.

Terry

Galilee Final Resting Place.zip

If you go to location 52°33'07.02" N   4°36'10.96" E in GoogleEarth, you will see just a beach off Castricum in the Netherlands. However, when you switch to the 2005 image, you will see the ghost of S.M.S. SALAMANDER, which was an armoured gunboat of 1872 of the Imperial German Navy. She sank there in a storm in 1919 being towed to the Netherlands to be broken up. The shifting sands now seem to have covered her remains that were still visible in 2006 at very low tide. At some stage attempts were made to salvage and restore her, but it proved to difficult and costly.

S.M.S. SALAMANDER was one of the boats of the WESPE-Class, the prototype of which I am currently building: http://www.maritima-et-mechanika.org/maritime/models/wespe/wespeclass.html (see also the building log on the forum).

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Here are many WWI ships, built toward the end of hostilities and towed here for breaking up.

Potomac River, across and downstream from Quantico, in Mallows Bay.  Part of the 'Ghost Fleet'.

post-17589-0-75139800-1435320959_thumb.jpg