Sloop Providence 1776 by Senior ole salt - 1:48 scale

Yes they are treated to conform to a shape suggestive of wind in the sail

Well after letting this model sit o the shelf for a while I got back into the groove again and picked up on it again thanks to a member here with a loan of plans of the Virginia sloop as a guide. I also put in some of my own take on just where sheets should be belayed to. I want to present a 'theme" for the display, that is for this model close hauled on the port tack with the topsail  furled as well as the outer jib. I'l like to put a sailor in the "chains" taking soundings as well as a few crew scattered around preparing the  vessel  to anchor. I have two questions

1.  On which side should the sailor taking soundings be , windward or leeward sides ?.  I'm thinking windward side as the lead line has the least opportunity of hitting some rigging.

The other question is:

Considering this model  case will be 31" long by 28" High and 14" wide  and destined for a household with two cats and a toddler. I'm thinking 3/16" plexiglass might be more durable than 1/8"

Any opinions expressed here would be appreciated

Thanks  SOS

PS will take some pix soon.

Edited by Senior ole salt
had to put in dimensions

New Bedford Whaleboat build. Kit by Model Shipways

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Hello SOS I sent you a PM about this build.

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 1 month later...

Getting close to finishing this  scratch model. I need to rig the dead eye lanyards but need to know what color black or natural. The plans for the Virginia sloop call for black lanyards. But i see many models here rigged natural. Just how often were these lanyards taken up back in 1776. I think they would be lightly tarred there fore leaning darker than natural.  I did make a few crew for the model some in place but one in the "chains" or on the channell needs the deadeye rigged. So my question here is What color black, natural or lightly tarred ?

Thanks 

SOS

Providence 2 jibs 3,18.jpg

Providence crew scene 3.jpg

Providence 03.14.18 sails.jpg

I've been making progress on my model and according to the instruction booklet I should be painting it, at least parts of it.

Are acrylic's ok ? I did apply a sanding sealer. but I want to stain the untreated floor boards which are walnut.

Thanks

S.O.S.

I love how she is turning out for you Jack and that you are still making progress. If your son doesn't like her I'll take her off your hands! :D

Lou

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Judging by the pix of the USS Constitution I think I will rig my scratch model of the sloop  Providence  deadeyes with black or tarred  looking lanyards

SOS

providence constitution060..jpg

Thanks

S.O.S.

Salty Dog!  Well done!!!  It makes me want to dust mine off and get back into the shipyard.

How do you support the two walkways leading from the quarterdeck to the ladders?  I can't tell from the pictures.  Is it supported by a knee or a post? 

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

Chuck, that puzzled me too as a upright post interferes with the function of the gun. My solution was to beef up the ladder sides anchoring them in the main deck on the bottom and to receive a fore and aft beam on the quarter deck on top, figuring it only had to support the weight of one person on the ladder at one time. Perhaps not orthodox method but for me with primitive plans to work from,  it works.  Please don't tell any one how I fudged it

What might be better would lay out the gun ports more carefully or the quarter deck end in relation to the ladder and gun function

Hope this helps you

SOS.

Thanks

S.O.S.

Many thanks.  Your secret is safe with me.  :rolleyes:

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to the finish line here . The dead eyes ( using black or tared lanyards) have been reeved and a few crew members have reported aboard. Will make a Marine ( will be loading a saluting cannon and wearing a green uniform ) as this vessel has the distinction of having the first amphibious  landing of the USMC. from this vessel.  I'm still puzzled about what flag to hoist The" Grand union", "Don't tread on me" or the 13 star  and 13 stripes flag. 

Any suggestions ?

My intention is that this vessel will have a theme  which is when finished.

SOS

Colonial Sloop Providence diorama display explanation

The sloop Providence is close hauled tacking into NW force 4 wind  as she looks for a safe anchorage in friendly  waters , hopefully close to an established town for re-provisioning On deck are 12 crew members. 

Starting at the bow stb. side is the ships Bo'sun. He is loosening the lashing on the anchors fluke. It will be eased off to hang from the cat head to be released at the word of the Captain..

Across from him on the port side a seaman is preparing to pull on the jib down haul..

At the mast another sailor approaching the jib halyard to let it go to lower the sail , both will eventually furl the sail just leaving the fore stay sail drawing which may be used in "backing " to help sail the sloop backwards as she lay's out her cable when anchoring.

On deck stb. side is the midshipman to supervise the anchoring evolution. He thinks he is important but the ships Bo'sun is far more experienced Above him on the ships rail is another sailor  pointing to obstructions that lie ahead. He just came from aloft where he furled the top sail

Opposite him secured to the shrouds is the leads man. He is taking soundings to determine the depth. He looks a little worried as the lead line showed 4' beneath the keel.

On the quarter deck port side a seaman belays the running back stay as the sloop just completed a tack.

Another sailor is preparing to "dip the colors" as a US Marine is preparing the saluting swivel gun on the stb. side

The first lieutenant  overlooks it all as the most experienced quartermaster  mans the tiller. 

The Captain is all the way aft and knows the ship is in good hands and is probably calculating his share of prize money after a successful cruise off shore sinking and capturing British merchant, war ships and raiding shore facilities.

Providence with leadsman.jpg

Thanks

S.O.S.

Looking very nice Jack

A well executed and unique model.

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That is a great looking model. Congratulations. 

My vote is for "Don't Tread on Me." However, it may be that she actually flew a particular flag that would more appropriate.  But, your model, your choice. :)

Russ

Edited by russ

The Providence when sailing as the Katy for Rhode Island flew the state flag I believe. When she was sold to the Continental Congress in December 1775 she adopted the Continental Grand Union flag with the Union jack and 13 stripes that had been adopted in October. At the time of the Nassau raid in March of 1776, there is no question that she was flying the Grand union flag as part of Hopkins fleet, but there is still a chance that she may have carried the "Don't Tread On Me" flag as well as that flag was the Marine flag of the time.

Lou  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Russ and Lou, thanks for your input regarding the flags. Has any one some idea of the US Marine uniform at that time ? I do think it was green with some red in the trim and maybe a crossed white band across the chest. I feel I got to put at lest one Marine aboard.

SOS 

Thanks

S.O.S.

I don't recall green but there's a couple of pics from early uniforms that show "green"....   Here's a link to Google:   https://www.google.com/search?q=US+Marines+uniform+history&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZr-m1vJXaAhXM7VMKHRy1CxYQsAQIaw&biw=1337&bih=769    Some of the pics blow up quite nice.   

Marine on board is good... :)   But then, I'm speaking as a former Marine.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, this ole Navy "airdale" thinks that # 2 looks good with the buff pants and green jacket .

SOS

Thanks

S.O.S.

I think it may have looked a little like this;

image.png.61cbe51700b057d157bb413ace2a207d.png

This may also help a little: http://www.srcalifornia.com/flags/revuniforms1b.htm

I find it notable that the Marine officer's uniform included a shoulder epaulet but the original navy officer uniform didn't.

Lou

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

I think Lou has a better picture.  Just make sure the Marine handling the small signaling cannon is "enlisted" and not "officer"...  We can't have officers doing manual work now can we?  <hehehehe>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey Mark

I thought Marine officers were supposed to be just as tough as their men? with a "Anything you can do, I can do better" attitude. It's Army officers with a rank of Lieutenant that will get you lost if you give them a map! Army Captains and above are not much better! 

Lou

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Just make sure the Marine handling the small signaling cannon is "enlisted" and not "officer"

That reminds me of the fate of John Kendrick, the Captain of the Lady Washington. In 1794 when a British sloop, the Jackal, returned a salute and one of the guns was loaded and killed Kendrick and a few others.

Lou 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 11 months later...

Here it is again. Only about $9 when you add the required tax but still too expensive. After all it is eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-I-Am-Building-Sloop-Providence-Sailing-Ship-Souvenir-Pinback-Button/362028198197?hash=item544a8fe935:g:igoAAOSw6YtZUaC-

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• The title was changed to Sloop Providence 1776 by Senior ole salt - 1:48 scale