Proxxon EF vs. Dremel 7700

I want to get a lightweight rotary tool to use when doing fine work.  So far I have narrowed the choices down to the Proxxon EF at .506 lbs, and the Dremel 7700 at @ 12 oz.  

I have the Dremel flex shaft attachment but it feels a little cumbersome when trying to move around the build.

I already have the transformer for the Proxxon so that is not a problem.  

I guess I am wavering between battery power and the lighter weight of the Proxxon.

What do you all think?

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Gesswein and Foredom both make rotary tools that are at a higher level in terms of power, precision, and speed.  If your budget allows, I would recommend the tool shown in the attached link.

I have 2 Dremels and a WeCheer micro engraver which accepts all of the Dremel brand collets so it can take any size drill bit that Dremel can. The WeCheer is excellent for very fine small work. I use them interchangeably. See WeCheer photo below

5172Z54D-kL._SY355_.jpg

Edited by Jack12477

Actually, check out new cordless dremel - 8050 micro: http://www.dremel.com/en-us/Tools/Pages/ToolDetail.aspx?pid=8050#.VaaAyXBXeK0

It have a better accumulator (lipo), very well balanced and quiet.

I use it for a few months very actively. Still have a regular dremel with the cord on my table, but never used it since I got 8050 :)

post-5430-0-62748900-1436975461.jpg

I have any number of Dremel tools including the one pictured immediately above. They each have their benefits. There are two things that bother me about the 8050 - the speed always resets to the middle value when you turn it off, (which is too fast for my needs) and while the lights seem like they would be useful, if you have the drill pointing towards you, they make it hard to see what you're doing because they shine in your eyes. I had to cover mine with tape.

I used to have one called the MiniMite, which was my go-to drill until the batteries died. I replaced it with a model 7000, which uses four AA batteries. I have a couple of sets of Eneloop batteries that I use with it. Eneloops are great because they hold a charge for a long time when they aren't being used. The 7000 is smaller than the 8050. It has just two speeds, which are normally all I need, and no annoying lights.

Cheers -

John

John, light is turned off by going to lowest speed and clicking minus button again ;)

But yes, speed and light settings are not saved when you turn it off :(

Hi,

Frank, I have used the Foredom and like it for some uses but I am trying to get away from the somewhat stiff shaft attachment.

Mike,

the 8050 seems a little big for my purpose.  Do you know the weight of the tool itself?

Jack,

Do you know the weight of the WeCheer?

I suppose what I would really like is the pencil like form factor of the Proxxon and cordless like the Dremels.  Given the need for a battery, I thought that would not happen but I found out the dremel 7700 is only 12 oz so the difference between it the 8 oz proxxon does not seem too much?

Richard 

Richard

Just measured Dremel 8050 - its weight is 250gr.

However, it is also a question of balance - all battery tools have the heaviest part in the bottom (batteries), while this one have a lipo accumulator which is located somewhere in the middle. I am using it a lot to drill tiny holes freehand, and that balance is quite important when you do it.

Jack,

Do you know the weight of the WeCheer?

Richard 

Richard, sorry for delayed response - been away.  The WeCheer is 2.88 oz or 82 g. That's just the unit, it has a plugin transformer which attaches via a small cord to the unit.  I find it very comfortable to use and since it takes all the Dremel colletts I can use all the Dremel bits and still use small drills.

Mahuna,

I have the proxxon transformer and not sure I want to add another.

Jack,

The WeCheer site shows a rechargeable unit, the 243.  On amazon it is show as being used for polishing nails (at salons) but seems to have similar specs to the 248.  WeCheer  bills it as a power tool for carving, drilling, etc.  Do you think it would work for modeling?  I like the idea of cordless and 30 - 60 minute run time is ok for me.

Richard 

Edited by rtropp

Richard

Richard, I have the WE248 model (3,000-23,000 RPM). I've used it to sand as well as drill (#76 bit) and it works fine for modeling. Yes they do list it as a woodcarving tool but it work great on my wood ship models. It's light weight and shape make it great for small jobs. The thing that sold me was the fact it accepts all of the Dremel colletts so I can use all my Dremel bits as well as various sized drill bits. I got in a WoodCraft store in Delaware for about $85.

Can't speak to the portable version, 243. Have not seen that model.

• 5 weeks later...

The Proxxon... By a long way, old dremel said may have been the best before, but the modern stuff is cheap and nasty, Proxxon, high quality, a little more expensive , but well worth the investment

I want to get a lightweight rotary tool to use when doing fine work.  So far I have narrowed the choices down to the Proxxon EF at .506 lbs, and the Dremel 7700 at @ 12 oz.  

I have the Dremel flex shaft attachment but it feels a little cumbersome when trying to move around the build.

I guess I am wavering between battery power and the lighter weight of the Proxxon.

What do you all think?

Richard

• 2 weeks later...

What do you all think?

Richard

They are so cheap, buy both and find out what is the best for your needs and likes.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .