Lighted Magnifiers

Hi all,

I have read the Forum topics on the various lighting solutions that are used to help us in our fantastic hobby - and I have also seen mention of magnification kits, such as the so-called "jeweller's helping hand" which are fantastic.

What I am looking for is advice / reviews of the all-in-one solution, giving good magnification and light (Daylight quality) in one.

The equipment could be desk and/or floor mounted as I don't have a dedicated workshop-style space at present.

Oh, by the way, I live in the UK and really need UK-based stock if possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Just to confirm what I am talking about, I have seen this one on the Historic Ships Website - the link is http://www.historicships.com/Tools/Magnifying/MagniLamp7inYJ8069-6912/MagniLamp7in.htm

But they only ship to the US and Canada.

Many thanks and Best Regards

John

If you're in the UK, Warco make an excellent range. See http://www.warco.co.uk/search.php?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=magnifier&submit_search=

I bought the magnifier LED round lens in February last year. Their after-sales service and advice is wonderful, and I haven't found similar lamps cheaper in the uk.

Tony

I used a type similar to the one in your link, almost constantly. It is one of the older round florescent bulb types. The only problems I have with it are that it tends to sway back and forth when first positioned, or when I hit it with my hand or a tool. This is a frequent occurance, and a pain.

On the other hand my over the eyes types have a much closer focal distance, so that I have to either be holding the parts close to my eyes, or be bent over it.

The desk mounted lighted one allows me to do most of the modeling in a comfortable position. My eyes require magnification for any small work, and the shakiness of my hands makes holding parts some times challenging.

Hi - I also found this one: Link is: http://www.craftlamps.co.uk/product/daylight-led-ultra-slim-magnifying-lamp-xr

but this is listed at £200 - cheap as the RRP is £265!!!!

I may well stick to Tony's link where I found one for £75, which is acceptable - any comments??

Try Hobbycraft they stock a few and are in most UK shopping Centres for about £25. I have a desktop one nice and easdy to use.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Many thanks for all your advice.

Having looked in to all your comments and suggestions, I eventually went for Tony's suggestion of the Table clamp version of Warco Magnifier LED light Square Lens.

post-2632-0-07214600-1444642106_thumb.jpg

Here it is installed at my workbench

post-2632-0-16019200-1444642565_thumb.jpg

It's amazing, I can actually see the carronades I have been working on without really seeing what I was doing!!!!!

Happy days and it's back to work...

Thanks again one and all.