Aeropiccola Halifax

Hi all!  This might be a long shot but was wondering if anyone has come across the Aeropiccola Halifax model as I am looking to track one down.  :)

post-15936-0-07372300-1443797315_thumb.jpg

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Charlie, why are you tracking down this kit in particular?  Mamoli also produced one, and that kit is likely to be more common.  The Hahn-style scratch build is also popular, using the timbering kit from The Lumberyard.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

Greetings Chris!  It's mainly a matter of scale I have been wanting to have a 1:64 scale Halifax to sail along with my 1:64 Sultana.  I had planned to scratch build Halifax down the line using a mix of the Lumbreyard/Hahn detailing's and a copy of the Mamoli plans, however thought this kit might save me a few steps.  Mamoli's Halifax at 1:54 scale is about 590mm or 23.25" +/- and the Aeropiccola kit is 530mm or 20.75" +/- so that should be close enough to 1:64.  That said I'd likely only use the hull frames and a few fittings and scratch the rest so while I was curious about the kit, it may very well be more trouble than it's worth :)

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

If it's the Hahn plans size holding you back.. you can rescale them down.  :)   Works for me.. I've scaled some of his plans up and one of them down.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ultimately thats what ill likely do however since im still a novice-ish I plan to get a few kits under my belt before I get to full scratchwork. Even with Sultana though other than the hull everything else will be scratchwork :)

That sounds like a good plan, Charlie. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 months later...

http://www.anibis.ch/de/modellbau-modellbaus%C3%A4tze-,-standmodelle-schiffe--2228/go%C3%ABlette-coloniale-halifax-de-1768--11302640.aspx

So might anyone on here be from Europe (France or Germany) or perhaps have a European email to possibly contact this seller? I've tried to no avail and can't imagine there are many of these left in the world :)  

Yeah I remember them from the old model expo books. I really just want the frames and plans maybe a few knicknacks then will modify with lumberyard plans and do the rest by scratch. Perhaps it's because I haven't done a scratch ship before that I am nervous and want some element of a kit to go by. It's in the scale I want so I can sail her alongside Sultana but if I don't get the kit it's not the end of the world. But I wouldn't attempt scratch until I do a few POB kits with decent plans first ;)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

There is a xebec on ebay right now actually only 120 :)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

Charlie,

Aeropiccola kits often surface on ebay.  Especially in Italy. The company has been gone for a while but there are still quite a few of their kits about. From what I've seen, they are a bit basic in some areas. I can however recommend the Mamoli 'Halifax' plans as I used them scaled down to get bulkheads and keel to scratch build 'The Sturdy Beggar' privateer a few years ago. They would probably be a more accurate reference than Aeropiccola. It's a nice straightforward ship to build and judging by how well you are getting on with Sultana, I'm sure you'd have no trouble with a scratch build from the plans.

The Mamoli Halifax kit also surfaces on ebay fairly regularly. 

Dan.

Thanks Dan I might just buy the mamoli plans on their own and scale them to what I need them to be 1/64 however if thats the route I go then next kit I do will probably be Ballahoo to get the feel of pob construction. The halifax by aeropiccola was a rare kit i think it was only produced in 1993 for the anniversary (I would have been 15 at the time lol). One may pop up in the next few years who knows :)