Proxxon 12v Pen Sander?

Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a Proxxon 12v Pen Sander. From what I've read, it appears to get good reviews. Apparently, it needs a transformer to operate. I believe there are two to choose from. A model NG 2 and 5. The 5 is supposedly more powerful and has a speed adjustment. I would really like to hear some feedback from anyone familiar with the tool. I can get the sander and basic transformer for about $70, with the larger it would come to $98. Is it worth ponying up the extra $ for the big transformer? Does anyone else make a similar tool which maybe better? For close to a hundred bucks, is it a must-have tool?

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

There's that one and others.  Here's a couple of links to two topics along that line.   I think the MM one is a version of the Proxxon.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6506-sanding-the-inside-of-boat-hulls/?hl=sander

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/341-micro-power-sanders/?hl=sander#entry241789

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have this sander. Yes, you do need to purchase a transformer for it - Proxxon make a couple which are fairly cheap. You can buy a single outlet transformer or one with multiple outlets just in case you invest in other 12 volt tools.. The pen sander comes with a variety of different shaped attachments. Sanding pads fit onto these attachments via an adhesive backing. From my experience, the pads don't last very long but they are inexpensive to replace. I don't use mine a lot, but it is good for getting an even sanding job done on hard to get at spots such as the edges of a deck. It is not a 'must have' but is inexpensive and handy at times.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Might look at one of the osculating tools, I have the Dremel with quite a few accessory’s. Bought it for a flush sawing job I needed to do. Worked fine for what I bought it for but found out later when using it for other things that the object being worked on needs to be solidly secured or it just gets in sink with the cutting tool being used and gets blurry to watch and you can watch it a long time and not cut or sand a thing.. Should be a versatile tool for modeling if you have some fabrication abilities to make your own specialized attachments or modify existing tools made for the tool.

Another thing you might look at, is a flexible shaft accessory for a rotary tool, I have one that I occasionally use when nothing else I have would do the job, usually because of a tight working area.

jud

Edited by shiloh

I have been using the Proxxon pen sander for about a year and I like it. The Pen sander is especially useful in tight corners or tough spots areas.

I bought the larger capacity transformer and glad I did.  I bought recently the Proxxon 50 ef rotary tool because it is thin and light and easier to handle than the Dremel or Dremel with flex shaft.  (The flex shaft can be cumbersome to use with that heavy cable.) With the larger capacity transformer I am able to keep both tools ready.  I may also get the Proxxon etcher and that will also fit in with the other two. (I have started trying to carve figure heads and other ships decorations so need the finer control.)

I stopped buying the Proxxon sanding sheets because, as mentioned they do wear out and can get expensive.  I buy adhesive backed sand paper at home depot and cut my own.  It is pretty easy and they last a lot longer than the Proxxon (or micro mark.)  Also you have a wider selection of grits to match the task at hand. I waited for a MicroMark sale and bought extra heads so I could keep various grits at hand. (The micromark fits the Proxxon, in fact, it looks the same except the Micromark does not require a transformer, it is AC. But, I suspect that might make the MM a bit heavier, don't know for sure, others may.)

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Well guys,

I found out about using AMEX reward points for buying stuff on Amazon and it turns out I've got a pile of them "burning a hole in my pocket". So I ordered the sander and higher powered transformer. Let's see how it works out. I will post a review after I get a chance to use it. Unfortunately I've become a complete junkie for Amazon Prime. Ordered it tonight and it will be here on Tuesday. On one hand it's great, on the other I don't see how local merchants can compete. I can sit in my family room, with my IPad and buy almost anything with no shipping and it's here in a day or two. Well that's progress I guess. One step forward, two steps back.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”